FUBAR

Mmmm that's nice that. Love the ZX7.

It'd have to be a green one for me though.

Can't beat a bit of green on a kwak

VRS%2520%2526%2520Z1000SX%2520pano.png

I like the green but its gotta match the leathers

I have changed bikes and colours too much to buy non neutral coloured leathers. :( If you fancy green next perhaps also an opportunity to splash out on some new skin! But by looks of the little lady in your profile pic I imagine your funds are otherwise accounted for.

I have changed bikes and colours too much to buy non neutral coloured leathers. :( If you fancy green next perhaps also an opportunity to splash out on some new skin! But by looks of the little lady in your profile pic I imagine your funds are otherwise accounted for.

Yeah lucky to still have a bike lol

• Like 1

I always liked Kwacks. Hondas always seems too competent and a little soulless. Yamaha and Suzuki just a little fragile.

Kwaks always seemed like the were made properly but by someone a little unhinged.

Once upon a time I was going o trade in the ZXR400 towards a Z750 but I liked the ZXR1200 Eddie Lawson replica too.

2003-Kawasaki-ZRX1200Ra.jpg

I hate this thread it makes me want a bike buzz again. Bad as bloody heroin those things.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

Thought this would be the best place to post about bikes. I'm debating whether or not to do my bike test and the direct access. I'm 24 so can do it and from what I've seen looks straightforward. I've always looked at bikes as something I couldn't have but a mate of mine has been slowly talking me into it. When I started looking into the cost of the bike and performance you get it almost looks to goo to be true. Is it? How do I got about doing it all? Seen this http://www.smart-training-swansea.co.uk/ training company that looks good and local. Any advice would be good.

Then I need to know what bike to get. He said a 600 would be best as it's fun enough not to get bored of and not too mad. Was looking at reviews of the Honda CBR600 but again no idea if it's good or crap. I suppose since it would be my first I'll be learning what I like and don't.

Thought this would be the best place to post about bikes. I'm debating whether or not to do my bike test and the direct access. I'm 24 so can do it and from what I've seen looks straightforward. I've always looked at bikes as something I couldn't have but a mate of mine has been slowly talking me into it. When I started looking into the cost of the bike and performance you get it almost looks to goo to be true. Is it? How do I got about doing it all? Seen this http://www.smart-tra...-swansea.co.uk/ training company that looks good and local. Any advice would be good.

Then I need to know what bike to get. He said a 600 would be best as it's fun enough not to get bored of and not too mad. Was looking at reviews of the Honda CBR600 but again no idea if it's good or crap. I suppose since it would be my first I'll be learning what I like and don't.

Go for it :thumbup: Even if you just do the training/test initially to get a feel for biking it will IMHO make you a better car driver too :yes:

Have personally never ridden bigger than a 65O ( mostly in my case due to weight and seat height) , but to be honest the bikes I have ridden have always produce ample power to be great fun. Had a Yamaha 600 Fazer for a bit and scared myself silly on that :o

Good luck and Happy Biking :thumbup:

• Like 1

Thought this would be the best place to post about bikes. I'm debating whether or not to do my bike test and the direct access. I'm 24 so can do it and from what I've seen looks straightforward. I've always looked at bikes as something I couldn't have but a mate of mine has been slowly talking me into it. When I started looking into the cost of the bike and performance you get it almost looks to goo to be true. Is it? How do I got about doing it all? Seen this http://www.smart-tra...-swansea.co.uk/ training company that looks good and local. Any advice would be good.

Sounds like you have already decided, good man. There was a scheme to help introduce people to making decision on starting to ride on 2 wheels called 'Get On' you basically get a free lesson with an instructor signed up to the scheme and then take it from there. http://www.geton.co....ts-it-all-about

CBR600 is an awesome bike Honda IMO do have the best build quality in sports bikes. But I would suggest getting an insurance quote on one and compare it to some others out there, as if you have just past test today. My first bike in post 1 is a forgotten hero of the 600's Kawasaki ZZR600 bulletproof comfy and was re-classed from super sports to sports tourer to make way for the ZX6R ninjas with same block. 100bhp 182kg 50mpg+ 85mph in 2nd gear, first twin cam 16valve bike too! They are super reliable and insurance now being sports tourer and lower statistics for people coming off them etc means dirt cheap. If you go to a comparison sight like go-compare bench mark some different bikes. Additionally it is very forgiving which is important in any bike especially a first.

My ZZR600 cost first years insurance £170 or £270, 2nd year £85 when CBR was £500.

I am sure someone in this thread was in your shoes and got a ZZR600 as first bike if you look back through the pages, might be worth a pm to see how they got on. ***EDIT*** Lew_VRS post #223

Reviews below are an easy way to compare the 2 and any other ones you consider but spec for spec the ZZR600 as now a sports tourer is very close in all aspects and it would take 2 experienced riders head to head in a track environment to show the difference, where the CBR would be ahead. On the road you have more flexibility for seating position and range on the ZZR can cut about the back roads or go off touring for weeks without back ache. I rode CBR600's at time I was looking and found them a lot less maneuverable at low speed, if that is of importance to you (commuting etc) mpg stated and range on ZZR600 is not what anyone who has owned one will report 200+ miles from tank 50mpg+ for normal riding.

ZZR600 review/spec http://www.motorcycl...0-1990-current/

CBT600F review/spec http://www.motorcycl...-2000--current/

Other bikes that are less in power but fantastic for first bike cheap to buy and run:

Kawasaki ER6-N http://www.motorcycl...-2005--current/

Kawasaki ER6-F http://www.motorcycl...R-6f-2005-2008/

Kawasaki Versys 650 http://www.motorcycl...-2006--current/

Jez I feel like a Kawasaki sales man now.... But they are all good and cover the full range of what you can get for your money, bikes for different roles.

• Like 1

Had a Yamaha 600 Fazer for a bit and scared myself silly on that :o

Wash your mouth out young lady! You know my feelings on the (as MCN referred to it as) "80's retro disco" looking bike :p

Also a popular first bike though and a good all rounder in its class but not my personal cup of coffee. Did I tell my story about Fazer joke earlier in thread?

Nothing passed yet but I may as well get my test done and go from there. I won't be buying a bike until I've actually passed. I've ridden quads and regularly road cycle so that's as close as I've come. No idea how the clutch works, changing gear etc so will be from scratch. I'll go down the weekend to see what its all about and hopefully get the ball rolling.

Even though a bike isn't sensible it is fun and for the money possibly more fun than any car. Plan is to cycle to work whenever dry, one to keep fit and two to save money. Tempted to buy a cheaper car, sell what I have so the car is for commuting as that's all I seem to do lately then both bikes for fun.

Nothing passed yet but I may as well get my test done and go from there. I won't be buying a bike until I've actually passed. I've ridden quads and regularly road cycle so that's as close as I've come. No idea how the clutch works, changing gear etc so will be from scratch. I'll go down the weekend to see what its all about and hopefully get the ball rolling.

Even though a bike isn't sensible it is fun and for the money possibly more fun than any car. Plan is to cycle to work whenever dry, one to keep fit and two to save money. Tempted to buy a cheaper car, sell what I have so the car is for commuting as that's all I seem to do lately then both bikes for fun.

A bike is a perfectly sensible, especially for commuting if you would like to be one of those people you have sat stuck in traffic stuck in your cage late and seen just carry on between the lanes.

I don't know what other people have done in the past but I generally would say to anyone while learning to buy their own new gear if they can and the best they can afford. It is something that will be needed anyway and an instructors gear may not be the most expensive and will have been put to the test, helmet especially and boots. Keep yourself right and all that.

You have some fantastic biking roads on your doorstep too! :rock:

Guest Tsi Fly

Go for it :thumbup: Even if you just do the training/test initially to get a feel for biking it will IMHO make you a better car driver too :yes:

Have personally never ridden bigger than a 65O ( mostly in my case due to weight and seat height) , but to be honest the bikes I have ridden have always produce ample power to be great fun. Had a Yamaha 600 Fazer for a bit and scared myself silly on that :o

Good luck and Happy Biking :thumbup:

I had a Yamaha FZ6 S2 Fazer and that was a brilliant bike. Very easy to ride slowly while you get used to it but really took off when you let it rev out. Well worth considering.

• Like 1

CBR600 is an incredible bit of machinery. Comfortable, very easy to ride and very popular so not that expensive. But as a learner you might find yourself getting caught out going a lot faster than you think you are. Insurance might be a bit nasty to start with too until you get a few years NCB.

I was recommended to get a naked bike to start with since they;re generally cheaper to fix if you drop it, and you'll probably drop it. I didn't, dropped it and it cost a lot to fix.

SV650, 600 Fazer and Z750 are often put forward as good first big bikes. I've not ridden any of them but I know people who have and they loved them, especially the SV.

Sv650 always a good bet

Be careful starting on anything too powerful you will scare yourself before you enjoy it

Learn the basics first you'll get soooooooo much more out of it I promise, added to the fact that the sv is an excellent bit of kit you won't be disappointed. Being a v twin you don't need as much power to enjoy it, and they still race them as well

IMO if course

*googles sv650*

That looks quite good too and relatively cheap to buy too. What sorts of things go wrong on bikes or in general are they reliable? Things to look out for, etc. Still getting used to seeing 75bhp as plenty in a bike. In a car it wouldn't be much.

TBH bikes aren't as reliable as cars. With a few exceptions they're just not designed to do the same mileages as a car day in day out. It doesn't mean every bike is a two wheeled Alfa just don't expect 50k miles of trouble free biking. Chains need adjusted and you need to take a bit more care checking tires etc. If you **** up you're dead or at the least very sore. Bikes do focus the mind.

Servicing and tyre are also nothing like car intervals. You're probably looking at a service and back tire every 4k miles. Bike tires are not cheap and you don't buy anything that isn't premium.

Insurance is much like cars you'll need to shop around. My ZXR400 was a group 14 (similar to a SV650), I was 23ish with zero NCB and I was about £300 for TPFT. That was down to £80 within 3yr. But that is quite a while ago now.

Edited by Aspman

Just do a comparison jobby and try to get limited mileage, also look at how much they cost

Ask yourself is it worth insuring it full comp if you pay £2k if you drop it are you gonna claim and loose ncd and how much would it cost to fix????? All things to consider! I only insure my zx7r tpft as I can re build it cheaply and easily at home just a thought!

Also a standard sv650 will be cheaper to insure than an 650s

Sv650s are pretty bullet proof but same as cars really go for as standard and as low mileage as you can afford as they are probably better, don't worry so much about number of owners as bikes are generally hobby items and they change hand quite frequently mine has had 7 since 2002.

Service history is always good things like valve clearances and belts chains depending on what you go for these are important on bike engines. check they are not cat c-d although this will probably only be cosmetic damage it de values them.

Check chains and sprockets and tyres as these are consumables but if you need to replace the lot you could be looking at £400 ish

And remember that the 75 hp is fine! Imaging the fastest standing start you've ever done in the fastest car.…………........ It'll be faster

Most of all be carefull

• Like 2

Just do a comparison jobby and try to get limited mileage, also look at how much they cost

Ask yourself is it worth insuring it full comp if you pay £2k if you drop it are you gonna claim and loose ncd and how much would it cost to fix????? All things to consider! I only insure my zx7r tpft as I can re build it cheaply and easily at home just a thought!

Also a standard sv650 will be cheaper to insure than an 650s

Sv650s are pretty bullet proof but same as cars really go for as standard and as low mileage as you can afford as they are probably better, don't worry so much about number of owners as bikes are generally hobby items and they change hand quite frequently mine has had 7 since 2002.

Service history is always good things like valve clearances and belts chains depending on what you go for these are important on bike engines. check they are not cat c-d although this will probably only be cosmetic damage it de values them.

Check chains and sprockets and tyres as these are consumables but if you need to replace the lot you could be looking at £400 ish

And remember that the 75 hp is fine! Imaging the fastest standing start you've ever done in the fastest car.…………........ It'll be faster

Most of all be careful

Some good points. Just looking at how much bike you can get something low miles for about 3-4k at most would do and a few locally too. Wasn't surprised about tyres and maintenance. My road bike needs adjustment and tyres every few thousand miles so I could cope with that. TPFT is a very good point. If a bike is only worth 3k all the bits should be cheap enough to get hold of and if it goes down I'm guessing it's plastic bits mainly to replace. With the SV650 being "naked" there's even less again.

Just went though a comparison site just to see what's what and the difference between TPFT and fully comp is quite big. Fully comp on a standard Suzuki SV650 is £460 so the same as my vRS now. TPFT is £240. Bearing in mind I'm in a crap postcode I think that's pretty good.

It comes down quick though. Tax is also pretty low.

Might be worth looking at crash bars or bungs to start with. It's easy to tip a bike at low speed until you've been on one a while. Feels like a push bike until you try to catch it and you realise you're trying to move 180Kg.

If you're postcode is crap you'll want to spend some money on chains, locks and probably a ground anchor. Smartuuater is all well and good but your bike is parts by the time that stuff matters (stoopid word filter).

Edited by Aspman