Scotland, Anyone?

Brijo

.... a misty-eyed memory trip.... ..great personal relevance for me....

Obviously the region has a special meaning for you and I deeply appreciate you sharing with us. Even more reason, now, to add the islands our 'Must Visit' list - soon.

(I've always had a yen to see Tobermory, anyway, ever since the Wombles.)

(I can't say the Uncle Bulgaria had quite the same effect, somehow.)

I am inspired, both by the poetry and the references to lost underwear, to contribute;

"I must go down to the sea today, to the lonely sea and the sky. I left my pants and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?"

• Like 2

Obviously the region has a special meaning for you and I deeply appreciate you sharing with us. Even more reason, now, to add the islands our 'Must Visit' list - soon.

(I've always had a yen to see Tobermory, anyway, ever since the Wombles.)

Which is precisey where I am as I write this, 10 miles south of Tob (sorry, Tobermory), on the Isle of Mull. We've been coming up here on holiday for the last 24 years, some times twice a year, and have totally fallen in love with the place, even with it's somewhat unpredictable weather. If you come from the South of England, and intend visiting the West coast of Scotland, you will have accept that it rains here, quite a lot, more than you are used to and according to the climate change scientists it is due to get wetter in time, though it will remain warmer than the East (as they've just announced on the local TV News!).

Of course, it's the weather that forms the landscape, and without the rain, Mull wouldn't be as green and spectacular as it is.

And, it's perfect Yeti driving country too, but please don't tell everyone! Fortunately, the number of visitors is effectively limited by the capacity of the ferry from the mainland.

Magic!

My soul slips out upon the tide at night

And on the quiet water lies at rest.

The dark hills rise on either hand,

The moon shines dim upon the sand,

And on the sea’s still breast.

There is no sound in all this silent place

Save little sounds the sleeping spirit craves;

Faint music from a waterfall,

A lost and lonely curlew’s call

And everlasting waves.

For me the concept of those "everlasting waves" brings me great peace, knowing that despite everything, it will all still be there whatever happens.

Enjoy.

Lovely! Thanks.

Chris

I've had the fortune to drive across a lot of Scotland, and have to say that the drive from Aviemore towards Skye is breathtaking. Skye itself isn't bad, especially the road over the mountains in the north of the isle, though watch out for potholes (broke one of my Fabia's alloys in one) and the logging trucks, which can throw up large bits of the road at you (broke my Fabia's windscreen, about a day after the alloy!).

As for Mull. I'm going for a fortnight later this year, staying in Pennygael, and can't wait. Was there for just a week last year and have been pining to return since. It's heavenly, not just from scenery but from the wildlife there.

Glencoe is stunning too - the first time I went up, I'd had to take my economical car (Rover 400 diesel) and was gutted I'd not sold a kidney and taken the Impreza. The roads are amazing.

Looking forward to using the Yeti up on Mull though - the amount of times you have to bail off the road to stop for pics of wildlife is ridiculous, and the Fabia often restricted parking options, as it wasn't suited to the task...

I was priveleged to grow up in Scotland. There are some great places in Dumfries and Galloway but stay clear of the main road to Stranraer. It's full of suicidal Irishmen.

Visited friends in Garlieston last year; Watching the sun set over the Solway, with a dram in hand, has got to b one of the best ways to spend an evening.

I've just come back from 5 days touring Scotland on my Suzuki SV1000S and have to say its probably one of my favourite place to bike. I've been to France, Spain and a few other places in Europe and the scenery is Scotland is top of the list for me. On a motorbike the roads are amazing - don't think the straight line had been invented when those roads were built - corner after corner of fantastic tarmac with drop dead views all around. Perfect. The A830 from Fort William to Mallaig, the A816 to Oban, the A82 from Glasgow to Inverness, the A87 from Invergarry to Dornie - all amazing roads on two wheels or four! The road north out of Applecross along the coastline is not to be missed - the views of Loch Torridon are crackin'!

I would second the vote for the Applecross Inn - delicious food and quite a dramatic journey to get there too. Glencoe Cafe does a lovely coffee too - we parked up there to decide which roads to enjoy. Nice way to start the day with the sun beaming down. All in all we had maybe 15mins of rain - not bad for five days riding. Mind you we did get snowed on twice!! Our first night was in Dunoon and then we spent three nights in Fort William which meant we could head off on the bikes each day without lugging our kit about the place.

We passed about 12 Ferrari's just before we got to Eilean Donan Castle - including a Gallardo and a few older (and nicer) models. They made for quite a view! Saw a good few Yeits over there too - much more popular than in Ireland - though I reckon we are starting to catch up. I think I might qualify as one of those suicldal Irishmen! :-)

The Scots are such a welcoming bunch - we got tips from bikers we met, danced in the pubs over (several) pints and had as much fun off the bike as on. Here's a couple of pics from the trip...Linky The pics dont do the place justice at all to be honest - best thing is to go there and see for yourself!

Edited by Hatcho

Linky no worky ?

But you're dead right about all the roads you mentioned.

I, too, would rather be riding them than driving but 4 wheels on a yeti is a very good second choice :)

Weird, does this one work?

Will be in the Yeti next time round as I'll herself indoors with me along for the spin...

Yes it does, thanx.

I was sitting here looking through your pics and thought that small castle on the island looked familiar....

(far right of my pic)

It stuck in my mind coz the coffee and cake at the cafe there were so memorable :)

eeeb2fbb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice one - of all the pics I took I couldn't remember where this was taken and the roadsign in your pic sorted me out! We never did go in for coffee and cake but now I have yet another excuse to head back again! :-)

• Like 1

Just back from holiday so only seen this one. SHMBO runs a nice little B&B up here in North Sutherland. Might do a very special rate for a Yeti owner !!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[Try again!]

By popular demand (!), here's a bit about one or two places mentioned earlier in this thread and that we actually did (or didn't) visit during the actual trip a month or so ago.

http://s1148.photobu...oda Scotland 1/

We had a soggy run over the border and sad to say, CFB, we didn't try Cullen Skink at The Green Wellie Stop in Tyndrum. We were running later than intended and the place was heaving, promising a long delay, so that's for next time. By the time we got into Glen Coe it was dry, with glimpses of the sun, but not of the Phantom Piper (possibly because no Japanese tourists either).

After a day doing Ben Nevis (well, just half-way up, this time) we set off in torrential rain and wind again, with Eilean Donan Castle and the Bealach na Ba as first targets. The castle was only just visible through the murk and we didn't get any closer than the cafe; well, the ticket hut at the bridge was swaying precariously in the gale - and anyway the food was hot. A while later, the turnoff to Bealach na Ba didn't look at all inviting either. With the cloud ceiling just above the treetops (and the snow warning up) we wouldn't have seen anything over the top and then not a lot more while driving on north from Applecross. Another case of 'Next time...'.

So we stuck to the main road towards and through Glen Shieldaig, with the rainwater pouring off the hillsides around us and often flooding the road. Real touring weather. Come to Bonnie Scotland! By the time we got to Shieldaig the rain was easing a bit and the village was a nice dash of colour through the gloom.

CFB's 'Nanny's Tearoom' was easy to find, even if it wasn't quite what we'd expected. The young lady in charge ('Nanny' wasn't there) seemed quite impressed that we had travelled nearly 600 miles to follow up a recommendation for their tea and home-made cakes. Which actually were well worth the trip. We tried several pieces of cake, to ensure that they were all equally good. The ginger cake had lumps of ginger in it - heaven. CFB was right and it's a place not to be missed but if you're thinking of visiting, make it soon - seems that Health and Safety has told them to install 'facilities' for customers and that would mean a total rebuild.

At our B&B on the other side of Loch Torridon that evening the sun was making brief appearances through the evening clouds and we were given glimpses of the Scottish scenery that people rave about.

And that was the first three days! ?

?

Well at least you got to try one of my recommendations.

It looks like you go had it a bit wet but I hope you enjoyed it none the less.

Snow? It was May!!

Oh well, on that basis we might get a heat wave when we go up in September?