Dpf & dsg

Wannayeti

Hi,

Long time lurker. Been looking for yeti 4x4 for a while, slightly put of by the insane lead tlmes, especially brokers.

Might have a shot at demonstrator that will be available in a few weeks. The conundrum is that my mileage doesn't really justify a diesel, and I didn't necessarily want dsg. The car in question has both (and a heated windscreen which I really do want).

As someone who does a fair bit of town driving, how does the dpf regen work with the dsg. For instance, you can't select a lower gear to keep the rpm up - never driven an automatic so can't see a way around this.

Anybody had any issues with the dpf/dsg combination?

Hi

I can't answer the regeneration bit because mine is petrol, but with the DSG the only way to keep the revs higher than the ECU* would normally choose would be either to use S mode, which has a limited effect, or to use manual mode, and deliberately select a lower gear than normal. Even so the ECU will override your manual selection if you take the revs too high and change up. Same on my previous 2L Octavia II diesel 6 speed DSG.

(* ECU = engine control unit. Computer that controls both the engine and the automatic gearbox.)

DPF regeneration has been the subject of much discussion and diverse oppinions, so doing a search should get you a lot of reading.

Hope that helps in some way.

Fred

Don't worry about having the DSG ........

IF you need to do a 'manual' DPF regeneration this requires you to drive in 4th or 5th gear at c. 1,800 - 2,000 rpm for 10 - 15 miles (ish). This is simply achieved by using the manual tiptronic gear selection.

What is far more important is your driving pattern and whether this will give the opportunity for an automatic 'discreet' regeneration? If within your "mostly town driving" you do a reasonable amount of non-town driving you'll be ok.

More info to follow tomorrow ........

Sent from my Sony Ericsson Arc S

TBH this is a good question and I'm currently contemplating your DPF scenario. Petrol is more suited to my needs but a 1.2 is slightly underpowered for me and therunning costs too high on the 1.8tsi. The 170cr offers a good mix of performance and economy and good residuals plus would give me a good excuse for an extended drive occasionally to sort out the dpf ;0)

Difficult decision

I ran a DSG with DPF with no problems, my daily commute consisted of a 1 mile each way journey 5 days a week and the occasional longer run at the weekend of say 20 miles. Never had and DPF problems, never had a regen cycle in the 12 months that I have had that driving pattern.

never had a regen cycle in the 12 months that I have had that driving pattern.

Really?! I've had mine for about 4 months and it does mostly urban/sub-urban work with some longer runs and I've noticed at least three regens (fan on and hot smell when it gets home). I'd be amazed if you hadn't had a regen in a year of that driving, whether you noticed it or not.

Had my DPF regening almost daily for a number of months, had the dealer and SUK look into it but they kept saying it's OK no fault. Oddly after it's last dealer visit in early February, it suddenly stopped this constant cycling and I've only noticed two or three times since. Dealer has denied adjusting anything, claiming they only ran yet another diagnostic test :wonder:

A mate of mine who's a technician in the trade had suggested that despite my long commutes, the cold temperatures the engine was being subjected to on the Wold's might have been the cause and admittedly the engine does run quite cold in the winter; oil temp struggles to get out the 80's. However I'm still puzzled by the sudden change of behaviour and at the time it was still relatively cool :wonder: :wonder:

TP

This is where I get a little disappointed with the choice of engines in the Yeti. I have the 170 diesel and a 6-mile rural commute each way. On many days in winter, the water temp is only just getting to normal operating temp by the time I arrive at the office and the oil temp is still well off. I'm sure a petrol engine would get there sooner. As a result I seriously doubt that in practice - and for the commute runs at least - I'm getting any better mpg (or at least mp£) in the diesel than I would in a comparable petrol. The DPF is an added complication, though I've encountered no problems thus far (14K miles).

But I too felt that the 1,8TSi petrol didn't feel as pokey as I might have expected and the CO2 figure really isn't good for a modern vehicle. I'm not sure that I'll buy another diesel car - I don't do a huge mileage and the pros/cons don't really add up. On most other comparable VAG ranges (Tiguan, Q3 etc) there's the choice of a 2l 200ish bhp DSG which would probably suit me better. The Yeti as a vehicle suits pretty well, but sadly just not the engine choice to tempt me to another one. (Sorry I've drifted away from the original question.)

Edited by prodata

Had my DPF regening almost daily for a number of months, had the dealer and SUK look into it but they kept saying it's OK no fault. Oddly after it's last dealer visit in early February, it suddenly stopped this constant cycling and I've only noticed two or three since. Dealer has denied adjusting anything, claiming they only ran yet another diagnostic test :wonder:

A mate of mine who's a technician in the trade had suggested that despite my long commutes, the cold temperatures the engine was being subjected to on the Wold's might have been the cause and admittedly the engine does run quite cold in the winter; oil temp struggles to get out the 80's. However I'm still puzzled by the sudden change of behaviour and at the time it was still relatively cool :wonder: :wonder:

TP

Had the mileage gone up at all TP?

Maybe the young apprentice was sent out to give it a "Good" Italian tune up. :happy:

Had the mileage gone up at all TP?

Maybe the young apprentice was sent out to give it a "Good" Italian tune up. :happy:

:giggle: probably gave her a 'sprint' round the block but I'd already tried low gear high rev driving to no avail :wonder:

Total mystery; be interesting to see if it reappears next November/December :wonder: :wonder:

TP

Really?! I've had mine for about 4 months and it does mostly urban/sub-urban work with some longer runs and I've noticed at least three regens (fan on and hot smell when it gets home). I'd be amazed if you hadn't had a regen in a year of that driving, whether you noticed it or not.

More info as promised .........

Lets all remember there are two types of 'DPF regeneration';-

1. Discreet or Automatic - this happens unobtrusively (mostly) from time to time; although a hot exhaust and rough sounding engine are telltale signs to those that might notice. There is no outward sign of this happening i.e no warning lights.

2. Manual - this is required when the DPF warning light comes on and is called for when the discreet regenerations have failed to clear enough soot out of the DPF. A particular driving pattern is required to do enough regenerating to clear the soot; this is to drive in 4th or 5th gear at c. 1,800 - 2,000 rpm for 10 - 15 miles (ish).

I beleive it is the 'Manual' regeneration that the OP, Wannayeti, was referring to.

In general terms the killer to DPF regeneration is frequent town driving in congested (slow, stop/start) traffic with no opportunity for the discreet regeneration to happen, which needs c. 40 - 50 mph easy driving for a few miles to do its job. Hence whilst mannyo did primarily short journerys during the week, he did enough 'easy driving' at the weekend to keep matters healthy.

Another frequent posted on here, Rockhopper, has a CR140 DSG Yeti, lives by the M25 in Surrey, and does most of his travelling which the M25 and within Greater London; he has yet to report any DPF regeneration issue and, I believe, lives on a diet of 'discreet' regenerations from time to time quite happily.

Finally, if I dare mention it, there are tuning firms around who will do a DPF delete job that completely negate any DPF running/regeneration issues.

• Like 1

You called? :lol:

I can only confirm what Bahnstormer has said.

I have not had any problems with the DPF.

Periodically I notice a discrete regen, but it is not a regular occurrence.

I am not worried about it.

I have now covered over 22,500 miles without any issues in 17 months.

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses, looks like a diesel might not be a showstopper as I can always reroute myself via the town bypass once a week which sounds like it would be enough for a manual regen.

I was concerned about too many automatic regens, as the internet is full of tales of engines being wrecked by unburnt diesel diluting the engine oil, dpfs having to be replaced at a grand a time, etc.

I only average about 6-7k miles a year, so the diesel economics don't really stack up, but if that's what becomes available first then I might go for it. The worst thing is, I held off on ordering a new one about a yr ago thinking the delivery times could only improve, great plan that turned out to be.

Just to randomly change the topic, booking at the skoda website, diesel 4x4's don't appear to be going for as much of a premium over the petrol 4x4's as I would have expected, is there any reason for that?

Thanks again.

Hi,

...I only average about 6-7k miles a year, so the diesel economics don't really stack up, but if that's what becomes available first then I might go for it. The worst thing is, I held off on ordering a new one about a yr ago thinking the delivery times could only improve, great plan that turned out to be....

True for lots of people I expect. Diesel economics don't stack up for sure (except the 1.6 Greenline vs 1.4+ESP - and neither of them have DSG options). But for pushing a bluff car you want good torque - I certainly don't regret driving a TDi for similar mileages over the past 8 yrs! What Skoda UK really need are a rep special (1.6TDi DSG) and a family man special (2.0TDi FWD man + DSG). But they don't need the extra business...

Just to randomly change the topic, booking at the skoda website, diesel 4x4's don't appear to be going for as much of a premium over the petrol 4x4's as I would have expected, is there any reason for that?

Thanks again.

Depends on market factors; currently used 4x4 diesel models are becoming scarce again, which in turn pushes up the price of the petrol 4x4.

For example of the 235 Yeti's advertised on autotrader 80 are 4x4 with 64 of those being diesel.

TP

on the brink of yeti'ship,..... still very undecided

my other car is a 525d with unresolved DPF issues, these diesels are just so complex nowadays, anyhow my problem is that the criteria for regen are not achieved as the car somehow runs under temperature, even after changing thermostats etc etc,

I can't remember last petrol but reckon the yeti will be.

wondering what the long term reliability for the 1.2 engine will be ?

We went for the 2ltr with DSG since swmbo insists on auto and I felt notwithstanding the reviews, the 1.2 was simply not quite engine enough for the Yeti. We only do approx 8-9 k per year & if I'd had the choice I'd have gone for the cheaper option of say the 1.8 or 1.6 petrol dsg, sadly unavailable. Journeys mainly are 30 miles each way with town driving one end country lanes t'other and a big chunk of M25/M23 in the middle, so no dpf problems anticipated. But engine now loosening nicely, smmoth and more than powerful enough for me, so no actual regrets.