Reliability of high miles diesel DSG

Hello

I wonder if anyone has experience of owning a high miles DSG Diesel. You sometimes read that after around 80/1ook that there are quite a few problems but then it's also true that those with problems are more likely to tell you than those who have a car that is running fine.

Additionally this may seem a minor thing but how is low speed control? I'm used to a manual and the only auto I have had was the infamous (although mine was very reliable!) Alfa Selespeed which was rather jerky when reversing etc.

Thanks very much.

Service record can be useful for high-milers of course. In particular check that the DSG box has had the regular recommended oil changes, as well as the usual cam belt/engine oil change stuff.

I did 55k miles in one year (driven pretty hard) in one of the first Audi a3 Dsg tdi's - Dsg no probs but engine wasn't great with porous head resulting in stalling and jerky at low speed.

Audi service / warranty was shockingly bad for a supposed premium product (£30k for a diesel hatch in 2004....)

I was in a local taxi a couple of weekends ago and I was quizzing the cabbie as he had a DSG box. I have too and I was concerned about high mileage. It was an 08 plate which he had had from 1 year old. It was on 250000 miles and in that time apart from servicing he had to replace a turbo and 2 mass fly wheels. Certainly reassured me. I hope mine lasts that long.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. I've also noticed that with the Octavia the DSG is less economical than the manual whereas with other VAG cars it can be the other way around. I assume this is just a limitation of the fuel consumption testing system rather than anything fundamental about the Octavia?

Thanks

I sold my Octavia 2.0TDi L&K DSG Estate with almost 100,000 miles on. No problems with the DSG. (6 speed wet clutch DSG). I did however have to have the dual mass flywheel replaced.

VAG have started to use a wet plate 7 speed DSG which is more economical. In the diesels now . The 7 speed dry clutch is more economical I believe which is used in some Octavia's and the Yeti 1.2tsi.

470,000kms and still counting. 2.0Tdi DSG. Only once did the box throw a hissy fit, it stuck itself in first but after a 2 hour rest it reset itself. Not bad I think, only one glitch in nearly half a million kms.

64,000 miles on my 2006 2.0Tdi DSG with no problems as yet.

I think the dual mass flywheel is just showing signs that it might be starting to fail (kind of rattly noise at idle when the engine is cold and in N or P......stops when I put it in drive or reverse, and does not do it when the engine is hot) From what I read on this forum the DSG flywheel is almost guaranteed to fail at some point in it's life.

As for fuel consumption, I get about 47mpg on average......I believe the manual will do a bit better (50 mpgish)

Low speed control is not bad, although not as good as a torque converter auto. However the dual clutch has many other advantages over a torque converter which overall makes it better......not least of which are the immensely fast gear changes which still bring a smile to my face!

• 5 weeks later...

I have a 2007 Octavia DSG with 102k kms on it. In a recent scan at the dealer the gearbox threw an error which read:

'Multiclutch adaptation limit reached'

The dealer promptly said that I will have to get the multiclutch (the dual clutch in the DSG) replaced. However I was not too sure if this error really waranted a multiclutch change (at 450 bucks it isn't cheap).

Anyone here has any idea what the error actually means and around what mileage would the multiclutch need a change in the DSG? I have no rattles and jerks from the transmission as of now.

I sold my Octavia 2.0TDi L&K DSG Estate with almost 100,000 miles on. No problems with the DSG. (6 speed wet clutch DSG). I did however have to have the dual mass flywheel replaced.

VAG have started to use a wet plate 7 speed DSG which is more economical. In the diesels now . The 7 speed dry clutch is more economical I believe which is used in some Octavia's and the Yeti 1.2tsi.

Indeed the wet clutch 6 speed is the oldest DSG and is rated to 350Nm torque. The dry clutch 7 speed is limited to around 250Nm so is only found on small diesels and the lower torque petrols.

Did you mean wet plate 7 speed? Is this a typo or a brand new box that hasn't hit mainstream yet?

• 2 weeks later...

Did you mean wet plate 7 speed? Is this a typo or a brand new box that hasn't hit mainstream yet?

VW and Audi use a 7 speed DSG wet box. Skoda will eventually get it. Octavia 3? Yeti 2? Superb 3?

The Tiguan uses it so I doubt it

The tiguan here still has the 6 speed dsg. I downloaded the UK brochure and the 7 speed DSG is on the 320Nm/103kw diesel only. The 350Nm/125kw engine is manual only.

I know the longitudinal 7 speed box is 550Nm, but I suspect this one isn't that strong. Where can we get a model code for it?

I know I am going to get lashed for this.........but I think the 40,000mile DSG service is a con. I left mine go for nearly 200,000kms and it is still going strong at 482,000kms.

I would keep it up while still in its warranty. I did change the filter once during that 200,000kms but I think the box and the fluid are much hardier then VW are letting on.

(bracing myself for backlash)

Wow that's some mileage for 3 years!

Ex taxi, but going back out as a taxi & i expect it to do at least another 100/150k before its sold on again.... Or broke for parts.

G

• 2 weeks later...

So yup, got my DSG on the road on Thursday there, 2 Sucessful shifts completed, box is super smooth, actually love this car.

Very rough round the edges, but that'll get tidyed up.

Current mileages 161295...... I expect to see that to at least 250000

G

If I try, I can get 900kms from my 2.0tdi DSG. I don't know what mpg that is but it's a 55 litre tank, I'm sure there is someone fairly good at maths.

HTC Sensation XE using Tapatalk.