Wheel and tyre woes...

Hi all,

Having owned my vRS estate for just over a year and just shy of 9,000 miles, I was a bit gutted to notice yesterday that the front tyres have nearly had it. (Standard Conti Sport Contact 2). I was even more gutted to spot some damage to one of the rear sidewalls, meaning I really need a full set. A couple of the wheels are also scuffed so I thought I may as well get them refurbished at the same time.

So what tyres would people recommend? I am keen to avoid Contis and was thinking possibly Michelin PS3? I have also heard good things about some of the cheaper tyres like Falken 452.

Finally, for the cost of the refurb I have seen a brand new set of TD pro race 1.2s - only problem is they are 8"x17" with an et45 offset. (I think standard Gigaro alloy is ET41 but please correct me!) I imagine I could use spacers to push them out a bit, but does anybody have any experience of running wider rims on a Fabia 2? I am assuming I would still be ok with 205 width rubber?

Thanks for any help or opinions!

lol,

You make it sound like the tyres were wrong.

You have the front worn because of your driving and not changing the tyres front to back at some point.

(No idea what pressures you run, or when you checked them).

The back tyre sidewall is down to you, done at the same time as wheel scuffing probably.

What ever tyres you choose, look after them and they will last ages, or look after them and enjoy them as long as they last.

If you go wider, or adding spacers, still check pressures, move tyres and best get wheel, steering alignment done.

If you are going to kerb them, then maybe get 7x16" wheels, not 8x17", but still expect to damage tyre sidewalls if you are careless.

Just less damage to rims.

george

Edited by sk4gw
  • Like 1

What a helpful response :clap:

If I wanted a judgement on my driving style I would have asked for it. You assume that it was me that kerbed them, you assume that the rear tyre damage was my fault. And then you offer a pearl of wisdom such as whatever I get look after them. If you have 'no idea what pressures I run or when I last checked them' why comment? The back wheel isn't scuffed but again, thanks for the assumption.

Anyway, I was interested in people's experiences in different tyre choices. Anyone else care to be more helpful to a new user of the forum?

• Like 1

Not sport tyres but my skinny wheels GL1 has had various rubber shoes and the best has been Michelin Energy. Good grip and really last well. Quiet running and very good in the wet. No idea if available in your size....

Edited by raisbeck
  • Like 1

Michelin Energy Savers will last ages, and give good fuel economy etc, but they certainly won't be the best for grip (they'll be good) because they're a LRR tyre. I've heard good things about the Michelin PS3.

• Like 1

Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric are my next choice. They've just won in Auto Express tests too, they said the tyre wasn't top on any tests but was close to it in all 9 of them. If you're after a premium tyre with mix between performance, comfort and longevity they might be worth a punt.

I will write any response i like.

If you want standard answers, then sorry i dont do them.

I commented on the title and how it sounded to me.

Who did damage your rear tyre?

Who did scuff your wheels, did someone do it to them it was nothing to do with the car being driven or parked!

It must have been you or some other driver, because tyres dont damage theirselfs.

You are getting your answers that you want, so you can just dismiss my assumptions and thoughts and carry on as you are.

Lets see how long your next set last.

have fun.

george

• Like 1

Gotta say this.

I hated the Dunlop sport max's I have on the vrs hatch. They are super hard and very noisy, not to mention after less than 200 miles one popped and was unrepairable!

I was recommended a Toyo Proxie 4 as a replacement, they get a good right up etc so I picked it up and stuck it on the back wheel, keeping the fronts the same tread pattern.

Last week I swapped them over after changing from the track wheels. I've noticed the proxie looses grip and will lock up/squeal far far earlier than the Dunlops ever did. Even at 70mph some fairly hard breaking the proxie would squeal and lock up! causing the ESP to kick in which in my mind isn't a good thing.

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful to know about the Dunlops as I was tempted by the sport max. You're right about the Proxes, I bought a set before (not the 4s though) based on reviews and price and hated them.

Eagle F1 asymetrics were another tyre on the shortlist so might try them.

Cheers!

Having owned my vRS estate for just over a year and just shy of 9,000 miles, I was a bit gutted to notice yesterday that the front tyres have nearly had it. (Standard Conti Sport Contact 2).

I've just changed the Conti sport contact 2's on the front of my Octavia and I only managed to get 51,400 out of them.

• Like 1

I've not had the vrs long enough to comment on tyres but Michelin ps2 &ps3 were good on a bmw i had in the past.

Re curbing - it might be worth looking at something like a set of alloygators to save your rims after you get them refurb'd.

I`ve got dunlop sport max`s on my vRS estate they not to bad i damage the inside side wall today on the rear tyre :doh: so i`ve getting 2 uniroyal rainsports 2 fitted to it had them on my old octy MK 2 vRS very good tyre :yes:

I've Had the Dunlops SP Sportmax2's factory fitted and after 6 months, I'd had enough of the wheel spinning under acceleration as the MK2 didn't seam to have enough wait to get them hot enough to work properly.

I'm now running Continental SportContact3s and they are better than the dunlops in the Dry and about comparable in the wet.

You have to accept that higher performance tyres will not last as long by virtue of them being made softer to provide more grip.

I can't wait to get rid of my Dunlop ****emaxx they are woefull sooo much wheelspin however approaching 11500 miles and still wearing well! Uniroyal rainsport 2s get good reviews on here might go for them when I need some.

Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric are my next choice. They've just won in Auto Express tests too, they said the tyre wasn't top on any tests but was close to it in all 9 of them. If you're after a premium tyre with mix between performance, comfort and longevity they might be worth a punt.

Not heard a bad word about these, reasonable price too.

My Passat's Conti Sport 3's are shot after 18k miles and I've swapped them around. I'm going for the F1 Asymmetric 2's, £100 cheaper than the Conti 5's too.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/Eagle-F1-Asymmetric-2.htm

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

The michelins may be pricey but each set I had on my bmws lasted me approx 30k miles, so i didnt begrudge the extra cost. I suspect my fabia will struggle to get to 15k miles a set of tyres :-(

Edited by sp1ke

9000 miles is about right, especially for a front wheel drive with 180bhp+

mich energy are very noisy

i'd consider fulda, the same uniroyal to contiental. fulda is made in same factory as goodyear, even extremely tread pattern for some of the tyres.

Go for the new Fulda'sports' tyre, it's virtually almost the same, same tread pattern-ish

Bit of a tyre snob so I wouldn't put a budget brand on these cars. A lot of power goes to these so I'd splash a bit more on some rubber. After all it is the only thing that connects you to the ground.

Bit of a tyre snob so I wouldn't put a budget brand on these cars. A lot of power goes to these so I'd splash a bit more on some rubber. After all it is the only thing that connects you to the ground.

that's a bit ironic. you drive a skoda vrs, not a polo gti or audi A1, and yet fulda and goodyear or continental and uniroyal are the equivalents.

I had Pirelli P Zero Nero's on my car when I bought it, and I think they give great grip on dry roads, and good enough in the wet. Main bad point is that they're quite noisy. I've done just under 6000miles since i got the car in December, and it will be interesting to see how long they last. We've all obviously done a bit of 'spirited' driving, but 98% of the time I drive at normal speed and don't chuck the car round corners, so I'm hoping to get quite a few more miles out of them.

Quick question, may seen obvious to some, but would your tyres wear out faster doing 10,000 motorway long journey miles, or 10,000 town short journey miles? On average obviously, if you didn't thrash them etc. thanks