What do you think of this Octavia?

I wouldn't believe that a taxi has done mainly motorway miles, but I suppose 176000 in 4 years is a lot (42k a year) to be tootling about town. Still, there are plenty of bidders so if you can get it for less than £3k it could be the bargain of the century.

Check the work done carefully though, i.e. clutch and DMF must have been renewed in that time, and ask him why he's selling it now? Personally, I'd prefer an older car with 100k less miles for a similar price, but that's just me.

Let us know what happens :thumbup:

Yea its alot of miles to be going about town so i would suspect there to be a lot of motorway mileage in that. So you would say it is worth at least £3000? I was thinking even up to £3500.

Apparently the clutch etc has been replaced. There seems to be plenty of paperwork with it.

I will see how it goes but it seems like a bargain to me at this money.

Most taxi's are serviced every 10k on the dot, they genuinely want for nothing!

That mileage, I'd say it will drive like a 50k motor. These cars hold the high mileage exceptionally well, unlike the mk2 that start to show a little wear etc on the suspension components more then the mk1.

Skoda have made a big mistake with taking this car out of production, big big mistake!

I wouldnt think twice about buying this if the price was right

G

The item was remvoed beecause he had used other car names in the totle for search purposes, so ebay say.

I notice he has relisted with a best offer.. Only £2995.. Seems to be a steal..

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1586.l2649

I hate that cheap and intrusive method. I didn't know it was ebay-illegal and I'm glad it is :D

Ask him about getting seat photos. The driver's seat is wrecked and knowing what a taxi does of a weekend in these parts, there could be unholy stains in the back as well. I'd say go see it yourself even, probably the best. It does seem to be a bargain and it's clean outside

It is phrases like this:

"Car needs MOT'd but drives perfectly with no problems whatsoever, it will fly through. Mechanically 100%".

That always make me wonder, Mmmm for about £50, as an assistance in selling, why not stick 12 months on it. Or is there a problem with that?

Edited by P6bJOHN
  • Like 3

Agreed you expect some MOT and tax on a car from a private seller otherwise how do you legally test drive it. Not many people would buy a car without a proper test drive for starters

• Like 1

Guest BigJase88

Even if seats are knackered a full vrs interior is only like 200 squid! Hardly the end of the world

Ive just clicked on the link and the ad is gone?

Never mind, just found the new link :notme:

Edited by mac11irl

It is phrases like this:

"Car needs MOT'd but drives perfectly with no problems whatsoever, it will fly through. Mechanically 100%".

That always make me wonder, Mmmm for about £50, as an assistance in selling, why not stick 12 months on it. Or is there a problem with that?

it's commonly done here ....2 reasons I'd say 1 it has no tax 2 it's probably going to flunk emissions 3; .....3 reasons .....:D not sure up north since it's uk but there are waiting lists in the south, you can't just walk into a garage. The chief reason really is "can't be bothered and if you want to get me rid of it without the hassle you can have it cheaper"

Agreed you expect some MOT and tax on a car from a private seller otherwise how do you legally test drive it. Not many people would buy a car without a proper test drive for starters

Well it might be Antrim but it's still Ireland, "legally"would be a fluid notion ;) I can't think of anyone who wouldn't drive it. Maybe I just have the wrong connections? :D

• Like 1

Well it might be Antrim but it's still Ireland, "legally"would be a fluid notion ;) I can't think of anyone who wouldn't drive it. Maybe I just have the wrong connections? :D

Yer right. Legally would be a VERY fluid notion, particularly in Antrim. In fact, you'd probably find a couple of test drivers with 'Gons' in their jackets. I certainly have an old uncle that carries one, and he's far from alone in this.

Guest BigJase88

Diesels arent emiisions tested in uk, only smoke tested and ive had some dervs that have kicked out the black stuff and pass an mot

Yer right. Legally would be a VERY fluid notion, particularly in Antrim. In fact, you'd probably find a couple of test drivers with 'Gons' in their jackets. I certainly have an old uncle that carries one, and he's far from alone in this.

I just didn't want to broach that particular subject in a car forum :D

We'd be in agreement

If diesels aren't tested then I can't see that car failing tbh, seeing its service history

My dad is taxi driver and his car has taken alot! Of abuse. If it's a day time taxi, might be worth a punt... Night taxi... Stay away from it.

• 3 weeks later...

What year did the mk2's come out? I thought 2008 was a mk2 shape - im certain ive seen some 2008 Mk2 Vrs's

I know this thread kinda ended, but I SWEAR on my way up to work on friday morning, i saw a 2010 plated Mk1 Octy parked up...

Was in free moving traffic so coulndt get a pic, but when it sank in 1/2 mile up the road.. i nearly forgot toturn for a bend!

When did they stop making mk1s?! either that or its the last one to unloaded in Ireland, and was never bought/registered...

Does look like it could be an Octy too actually.

Maybe I should send the thing to Jeremy Clarkson :giggle: ? "Does this car fit a donkey in it" episode

It looks more like the window profile of a Cordoba. I had one, and in the same colour... I swear that's not me in the car!!