wing mirror glass fell out

Hi i have a 2006 vrs,i was just driving along yesterday when the glass fell out of my drivers side wing mirror.

It just fell off!!!

Strangly there did not seem to be any glue residue left on what was left in the housing.

Even more strange i tried to move the mirror but only the nearside one would operate.

A couple of questions.

How much will a dealer charge me for a new glass.

Any ideas on the electrical problem with the mirror

First the bad news, then the good news, then the bad news.

This happened to me around two weeks ago, on the motorway, mirror starts vibrating then flies off.

So, I ordered one off Ebay (lens, backing plate) for around £12

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-OCTAVIA-mk2-2004-2008-DOOR-WING-MIRROR-GLASS-HEATED-RIGHT-/120850560279?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item1c23413517

However it has not arrived yet, despite being sent early last week. If it arrives soon I will let you know what it is like.

Andy

This happened to me around two weeks ago, on the motorway, mirror starts vibrating then flies off.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c23413517

However it has not arrived yet, despite being sent early last week. If it arrives soon I will let you know what it is like.

Andy

could they put "FAST DELIVERY" any bigger lol

• Like 1

I take it its a comman problem. I've seen a couple of companies that do the replacement.

I take it with the heated glass does it just pop out with the connectors at the back.

could they put "FAST DELIVERY" any bigger lol

I am losing my patience with them, because they have not answered my last two emails, and the phone number which I have managed to find is not in service! I wish that I had ordered from EuroParts and taken advantage of the 25% discount.

This is my first ever problem buying something from Ebay, but I can see a few bad comments going their way soon. :@

I take it its a comman problem. I've seen a couple of companies that do the replacement.

I take it with the heated glass does it just pop out with the connectors at the back.

I am hoping that it will be that easy - assuming that it ever arrives.

in the other threads on this some of us just got the new glass and fixed it to the "works" - the metal (working machinery) bit didn't fall out, the glass just fell off it.

Not sure if the ( bottom left) connectors are just for the heating element or part of the circuit so both need to be connected for electrical adjustment :happy:2012-03-21124458.jpg

Not sure if the ( bottom left) connectors are just for the heating element or part of the circuit so both need to be connected for electrical adjustment :happy:2012-03-21124458.jpg

The connectors are for the heating of the glass only!

one word of warning to the parts on eBay....you will more than likely only receive the glass part so if youve lost everything (plastic frame) as pictured above its unlikey that the seller will include this!

You may also find with accessory glass that it comes without adhesive (just a word of warning)

And remember that your drivers glass is also aspheric so has the blind spot edge!

bluvrs2, can you see any manufacturers name on the backplate? or inside the mirror housing itself?

I bought oem, both sides( mine did not fall off, just after 6 years tiny spots like you get on a bathroom mirror appeared ) I would not buy off ebay, they do not come with the 3 metal prongs to stop mirror going too far, this loosens it so it falls off! the replacements are blue tinted and I get discount, ( similar to no vat ) on parts any way

No markings( manufacture on them, originals made in Spain , blue tinted glass replacements Poland, you can see all the markings on the photo just click on it to enlarge albeit upside down!

My 06 vrs did the same thing a while back, travelling on the M11, it stated to vibrate & flap about, mine was N/S.

I pulled off next juction & pressed it back in, seemed secure, continued home, next day my Dad got in the passenger seat shut the door & crunch!!

£51 + vat for a new one!! Mate fitted it for me for free!! Looked like glue failiure.

being Spain I would suspect they are Ficosa...especially with the look of the spring clips (btw they are to help with vibration of the glass)

If its the glass thats detaching from the holding plate then its a priming issue by the supplier; I would suspect as its taking several years to detach its just a costdown tape the VW have agreed to which meets the spec!

If you can save your glass before it breaks you could possibly apply some 3M adhesive tape to the rear and rebond to the back plate?

My 06 vrs did the same thing a while back, travelling on the M11, it stated to vibrate & flap about, mine was N/S.

I pulled off next juction & pressed it back in, seemed secure, continued home, next day my Dad got in the passenger seat shut the door & crunch!!

£51 + vat for a new one!! Mate fitted it for me for free!! Looked like glue failiure.

Mine popped out a few weeks back and I noticed it when the car was stationary so I just popped it back in. Makes me think that I need to look at it properly to make sure it is secure. It seemed very flimsy I thought.

Mine popped out a few weeks back and I noticed it when the car was stationary so I just popped it back in. Makes me think that I need to look at it properly to make sure it is secure. It seemed very flimsy I thought.

Sounds like it was the plastic bracket which came loose on yours, whereas on mine (and others by the sound of it), the lens came away from the press fit bracket because the glue failed. I reckon if the heated mirror connectors are well crimped on, then at least the whole bracket will not fall out completely.

Andy

Well my new glass has just arrived. How do i fit it?

Is it just the glass, or have you got a plastic bracket as shown in one of the earlier posts? If it is just the glass, then I suppose that a good double sided tape, or a fast setting impact adhesive like Araldite would work.

if the back plate is made from PP youll need to prime the surface first or youll be buying a new glass again!

you prime by using a naked flame brush over the surface - youre not melting it!!

if ABS then youll be fine.

Id pay the extra and search ebay for some 3M double sided tape....you obviously bought a cheap glass if it didnt come with any backing!!

It seems common across the VW group both my T5 transporters have had the same issue

But wouldn't you think, with such an obvious problem, and one that doesn't seem to be a concern on other makes, they would say to themselves "Gee, our mirrors keep falling off. Let's see what another maker uses to stick its mirror glass on with, and use that instead."

As they say in the cartoons, it isn't exactly rocket science!

(And it isn't like having to tool up for a new engine or something.)

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c23413517

Andy

Did this arrive, and if so, what's it like?

I ask as the glass and backing plate has just come loose from it's housing. Looking at it, it would seem that the two of the small plastic clips which fix the mirror to the motor drive have lost their flexibility and snaped off.

Baldy1926, where did you get your's from? I've tried ECP and they don't list mirrors for an 06 plate ocativa

Edited by mark antony

• 10 months later...

Bit of a thread resurrection here. I wasn't aware of this issue until today when a passenger closed the door and the mirror glass fell off the backing, thankfully the bottom edge of the glass went between the backing plate and the mirror housing so it didn't fall to the floor.

I expected one surface or the other to be tacky but there wasn't a hint of stickiness anywhere!

Drove home with the mirror glass safely inside the car, removed the backing plate and have double sided taped the glass back in place. Will refit once I'm happy it's bonded well. Might just check the driver's side isn't about to fall off next!

Bit of a poor show really, never had this happen on any of my previous cars :blush: