j0hn

I am genuinely a good boy down there Danny, a guy who lived a few doors down got 3 points coming down there. There's always some clown driving in the outside lane for the full length as they're turning right 2 miles down the road (checks the vid to make sure I didn't do that! :) )

have you driven it yet?

I have and it's good. I only picked it up BH Monday, spent the rest of the day painting the front room and back to work Tuesday so I've not driven it since! It's now full of books and CDs and other crap so I can move the furniture to get the carpet fitted! :)

First impressions - ride definitely improved although it seems more prone to the odd bounce over the rough stuff. The rear end seems like it's a bit firmer somehow, but I don't think it is. I think it's a different setup to the B14 kit and I can view them both objectively now it's been removed. I think the B14s would be better on a track definitely but I think these are much better for the road. Got a few things to write up soon so I'll do a proper write up when I've put a few more miles on them.

looks good, why the change from the Coils to the H&R springs?

Still coilovers Daz, just a set of H&R Monotubes instead. After Rob had his B16s fitted we exchanged a couple of PMs as we both had similar thoughts about the ride on the Bilsteins - the B16 and B14 kits use the same springs but the former has the rebound adjustment. I knew Rob was happy with his Monotubes and I basically had a financial opportunity to be able to replace them, so I did!

Must admit, I found the B8's with H&R springs luvly :love: on my Ocy, the B14's were just a little too hard, cracking for a track but too hard for day to day use.

The build quality of the Bilsten's are excellent.

Love your car. Making me want to return to the Octavia again.

Did you know....

APR have a map available that will allow you to run a K04 turbo and S3 injectors on your engine whilst still retaining the stock exhaust and intercooler that will give you around 300 with an intake. (Essentially its the same as having a stage 1 remap on a cupra or Ed30 K04 TFSI) So more power than a stage 2+ K03 despite running lower fuel pressure,lower boost whilst costing substantially less.

Did you also know..

APR have another map available that will allow you to run a K04 turbo and S3 injectors on your engine with an UPRATED HPFP, whilst still running the stock exhaust and intercooler which will give you 320Hp with an intake.

This is what i think i will be doing if/when i come back to a 2.0TFSi.

All the power, with none of the noise. A pure stealth performance package, it will less stressful on the car than a stage 2+ K03 setup as its running lower boost etc and most importantly, its a lot cheaper.

Second hand K04s (lots of kits become available each month for no more than £500-700), so considering map upgrades with APR are Free of Charge, you could be looking at a 60Hp gain for only £700!!

• Like 1

Ah yes, my bad, should have looked at the pics closer! would love set of Monotubes, they seem to be just the ticket..... perhaps in the future

I believe the kids say "Moar Lower"

8950418689_0c9f4413d0_c.jpg

Untitled by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

And for a comparison, what I looked like on the Bilsteins

8420182462_806bc7d171_z.jpg

I think it's definitely lower than it was and worth considering that it was set nearly as low as it would go on the Bilsteins (which I think was to the further detriment of the ride) but it's about halfway on the H&Rs with more to go. Not that I will be going further. Yet :D

Like VRSerious says, I think I also found them a little too hard and if I was hitting the tracks once every couple of months, I would have accepted the compromise of handling over ride, but I'm not and I wanted a softer road set up. Do I think the handling is less sharp than on the Bilsteins? A little bit I guess and the rear seems a bit more lively on the H&Rs, but it's a small price really and it's more relaxing to drive.

D@z if you are thinking of a set, I know rob_e and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these. Mine have certainly passed the wife test too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Needs an update doesn't it.

Well kids, part of the reason I'd not responded to vRSy's post about the tuning options was, whilst the K04 and S3 injectors on a standard exhaust are interesting, it's too late for that as the car has been runiing Matt's old BCS 3" TBE with 200 cell cat for a while now, along with the Autotech HPFP internals and an APR stage 2+ map. I've not had the time or the disposable to get it on the rollers, but it's definitely a quick car (it was quick anyway) and much improved over stage 1. I know I could pick up the K04 and S3 injectors for about £600-700 and then spend another £600-700 getting them fitted, but it's another £1400-£1500 by the time I've finished and at the moment, with a 3 year degree (at the age of 33) on the cards, it's an expense I probably can't manage, especially if a new clutch ends up being needed. I would however consider an S3 intercooler or a Twintercooler of some description to help with temps.

However, BCS tailpipes are quite tasty:

9217876048_3381db4b94_b.jpg
Shiny exhaust by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

Ignore the terrible state of the rest of the car, the tailpipes are my first bit of Inters prep - washing it comes next, but I did the exhausts first as I didn't want to sit in a warm puddle (again).

Other things that were on the list:

A3 S-Line gear knob (as per rob_e) - £30ish off eBay.de

9215097567_5c8277b33b_b.jpg
A3 gear knob by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

A shiny bit for the footrest (and refitted carpet mats after the winter weather)

9215099539_66491d2452_b.jpg
Foot rest and new mat(s) by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

Something I'd been after doing for a while - auto lights retrofit. The car has auto wipers and auto mirror but didn't get auto lights. Karl B added a switch to his order from Skodateile about 6 months ago and I finally got around to asking Eddie_NL if he'd fit it for me, along with a 30 byte Highend CECM I also found on eBay.de - not only do I have the auto lights, I have cornering fogs too.

9179171654_98b4c2d044_b.jpg

My plan was to mod the engine cover panel so it no longer had an Audi badge. Work in progress, filled and primered:

9179169042_16ec2e7e09_b.jpg

I put some black on this evening and it shows up how shoddy a job I did on the filler. Depending on how unhappy I am with this attempt, I'll either sell it and get a new one and start again or I'll have that bit done by my local friendly painter for about £40.

After the pic in one of the posts above was taken at AKS, the number plate had started to delaminate due to the stick on show plate being removed.

9179170590_d6d68b9ff8_b.jpg

I've been loathe to replace it as I had it in mind to buy a private plate for the car. Well I have! I'm waiting for the doc to come through and then all will be revealed!

Problems:

Not many, but the most serious is an apparent problem with the car intermittently making no boost. I first noticed it last week and a VCDS scan revealed that the overboost protection had cut the turbo. I'd switched the car off and back on again and the problem seemed to go away. Then the wife reported the same thing and the car did the same to me on the third day. Without stopping, I cut the engine and restarted and the problem went away. I have no MIL and that it comes and goes suggests to me that it's a sensor problem or something controlled electronically, rather than the turbo itself. I need to go and do a couple of 3rd gear logs but my guess is either N75 or boost sensor (probably the latter). I've also read that some people who have had the same issue have cured it with a replacement O2 sensor.

Next problem is that there is definitely a slight vibration or a knock at speeds, like a rotation related pulse that speeds up with increased road speed. I'll get it looked at by AKS when I am there next.

Lastly, I had the air conditioning serviced in April in order to maintain the 2 year guarantee given with the replacement compressor. Earlier this week I felt that the system wasn't getting cold, so rang my a/c guy. Indeed it had virtually emptied itself but a check of the joints with a UV lamp didn't show up any leaks. It's been recharged again, I'll just have to see how long it lasts - if it's less than 6 weeks then there's a problem, although there didn't appear to be any leaks around the pressure switch or condensor.

I finally bit the bullet and removed the spoiler so it can be repainted. It's suffered the lacquer failure on the edge and I will be dropping it off at Inters this weekend. In the meantime, I have a spoiler-less car!

9216574453_c1dba6888a_b.jpg
_DSC9279 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

It looks kind of alright actually, but I prefer a spoiler.

I have got a small to do list including a full OPS retrofit, FL climatronic panel, some Superskoda honeycomb grilles and a DAB Columbus but again it's the thick end of £1400 and I can't stand that, at least not until I've replaced the front discs and pads.

More to come.

• Like 1

Actually for my own benefit I'm going to put a full spec list, just to try and work out/remember what I've done!

From the factory

TFSI 197bhp Octavia vRS, first registered March 2007

Xenon headlights

Maxidot

Jumbo Box, 2Zone climate and 4x electric windows

Auto wipers and auto dip mirror

Cruise control

16" spare wheel

18" Zeniths (now sold)

Interior mods

Auto lights retrofit

VW RCD510DAB headunit (including OE spec Calearo DAB/FM antenna)

Audi A3 S-Line perforated leather gear knob

Glovebox MDI kit

Fiscon Basic Plus bluetooth hands free kit

Blackvue DR380G HD drive recorder

Boot net!

Exterior/chassis mods/wheels

Current wheels: CVR 105 satin black 5 spokes, Michelin PS3 225/40/18

Other wheels: Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2, silver over black, Nokian WR-A3 225/40/18 winter tyres

H&R Monotube height adjustable coilover suspension

Neuspeed hollow rear anti roll bar

Superpro Anti Lift Kit and Superpro rear control arm bushes

ECS Tuning Dogbone Mount insert kit

Audi TT-S engine cover, modified to remove Audi badge

Brembo/Porsche 986 front 4 piston brake calipers with standard 312mm brake discs

HEL braided front brake flexi hoses

MTec white W5W side light lamps, Silvatec indicator lamps and LED numberplate lamps

Legal metal pressed plates and Czech dealer plate holders

Engine/Performance mods

ITG enclosed cold air intake

BCS Sports 3" Turbo Back Exhaust system

Autotech uprated high pressure fuel pump internals

Audi RS4 fuel pressure regulator valve

APR Stage 2+ map (approx 265ish bhp)

I think that's it. That's enough isn't it?! :D

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Nice addition John!

Love the plates, though I really think it needs the spoiler. I'm sure that shifts well :-)

Spolier was sent away for re-paint I believe.

• Like 1

That's right spoiler was repainted as the lacquer failed. Got it back on Thursday and its back on the car as of this afternoon (thanks Barrie).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Excuse the state of the wheels, I had the PS3s refitted yesterday after I got a nail in one of the Dunlops. It was almost scrap so not much of a hardship and the Michelins are so much better.

I've replaced the discs with EBC High Carbon Blades and the worn out pads with EBC Bluestuff NDX. Brake performance, especially in terms of fade and heat resistance is much improved. I need to double check the dates but I'm pretty sure I chewed through a set of Pagid pads on OE discs in 9 months (about 6,000 miles)!

Posted Image

EBC brakes by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Time for an update.

Got a big to do list, including some exciting things planned, but as usual I don't want to give them away til they're done. First of all though I've got to sort out the problems, two of which are MOT sensitive - sort the ABS speed sensor and replace the light switch which now won't latch in the dipped on position. I also want to try a new DV to see if the occasional overboost protection problem goes away and I need to fix the air con (leak, somewhere).

There are a couple of interior upgrades I want to do and it might also go a bit faster soon too :D

I'm trying to make a decision on the wheels, as usual I'd like another set but as usual I can't make my mind up. I'd like some Neuspeeds but I can't really part with the cash until I sell at least one of the sets I've got and I sort of cant be bothered with the farting around. I'm on the verge of a colour change on the CVRs to high gloss silver and leaving it at that.

Nothing else to report, here's a couple of pics to look at.

Untitled

Untitled

Sorted the light switch. Rang TPS whilst on holiday to enquire on the price of a replacement auto head light switch, answer was somewhere around £62. Blimey, especially when this one was £30 from Skodateile and split the shipping between KBPhoto and another chap. I was on the verge of ordering one from Skodaparts this morning for £55 but either got distracted, went back to sleep (it was early this morning) or thought it would still be worth trying to track down one from a car being broken and didn't go through with the order. I dropped into Halfords this evening to pick up a 1/2" drive 10mm hex bit and picked up the smallest Torx bit they sold, TX6, on the offchance it would fit the screws on the back of the headlight switch. Lucky for me I got the three screws out and saw the inner rotary control in the switch had slipped its position and just needed straightening out. Ta-dah, one fully working light switch for £2.79 (cost of the TX6 bit with a Trade Card)!

No pics as I did it standing at the kitchen worktop whilst cooking the dinner (multi talented or what?) but that's one to cross off the list.

Should have the ABS sensor sorted by the weekend too.

• Like 1

Bloody too right Daz, hugely satisfying!

It's MOT time again, I'd booked in with AKS to have the ABS sensor replaced (which it was) but the fault didn't go away so it seems that the problem is with the ABS sensor pickup inside the hub/bearing assembly. VCDS showed a mechanical failure which is probably more likely to be the hub than the sensor itself. Booked in again for Friday and off for an MOT that afternoon. It's not due until the 6th October, so I've got a bit of time to resolve any issues that might get picked up in the test but I would be surprised if it failed anyway.

I am bored out of my head waiting for university to start. Not used to not working, I did a couple of things to occupy myself today.

First thing was to put these on:

9895894355_fdfbaa2b29_c.jpg
image by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

Just 8mm to enhance the looks, picked them up from AKS on Saturday.

Before:

9895930646_5f1efc579d_c.jpg

After:

9896063533_fb02326638_c.jpg

(Crap phone pictures, don't meter properly so too dark to really tell what's going on but take my word for it!)

I also found an envelope with some 60mm Pasty Badges in and wondered if they would fit. I'd tried one and so finished off the other 3 this morning.

The black CVR badge is a metal backed vinyl.

9896046253_bc849a4f09_c.jpg

Soaked in a bowl of hot water to soften the glue

9895909565_ff7ab9e888_c.jpg

Badge carefully prised out with a very small screwdriver and a dose of AS Tardis to soften and remove the remaining foam backing and adhesive.

9895958074_026f22a4ac_c.jpg

The Pasty Badge fits perfectly into the recessed area on the centre cap.

9895962074_c0a3aae84f_c.jpg

Just waiting for my A/C guy to turn up and fit a new pressure switch as the last lot of gas that went in last about 2-3 weeks. It was recharged with the advice to have him look at it again if the gas was lost, when it would be given a load of UV dye to try and find the leak but he is confident that due to the rate of loss, it's going to be the pressure switch.

LOTS more things planned in the coming weeks, watch this space!

MOT day tomorrow, wish me luck!
Off to AKS first thing to get a new hub/bearing assembly fitted so the ABS works again and then it ought really to fly through (famous last words!).

Then I've got lots of lovely photos to show you  :D

Air con man still hasn't been BTW :@

He promises faithfully that he will be here tomorrow afternoon with a new pressure switch.

Minor update then. Went to AKS this morning, a new hub/bearing assembly was fitted to replace the duff one. The rubber coating around the sensor pickup wire (assuming it's basically a coil of wire like a guitar pickup that gets a pulse or a signal from the ABS sensor in the hub) had split and presumably broken the wire. New hub/bearing in place and the fault is fixed. A quick investigation of the other side suggests the the n/s will also need to be replaced soon as the rubber coating is also starting to perish.

Back up to Leicester and, after retrieving my wallet from Tescos (where I must have dropped it earlier in the day), presented the car for an MOT. I wasn't really paying much attention and it sailed through without comment.

In other news, here's a home made centre cap using a Pasty Badge and the case of a CVR Wheels centre cap.

9967403873_f021d6c94f_c.jpg
Octavia vRS by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

The eagle eyed amongst you will have spotted that and thought, "That's not a black wheel!".

And you'd be correct.

9967268235_9cc195e4c3_c.jpg

I had the CVRs redone in a hi-gloss silver by Midlands Car Care on Wednesday. I think they look loads better - I did like the black but I was starting to ruin the polished rim and they always looked dirty due to the satin finish.

No post with new wheels would be complete without a few photos of the car, even if they are off the iPhone.

9967250724_30e438f82b_c.jpg

9967455886_48cba2cd24_c.jpg

9967391745_883957d429_c.jpg

9967259924_6ac22d9e00_c.jpg

I want:

An Amundsen+ RNS315

A facelift climate control panel

Heated seats and OPS retrofit

A new steering wheel (the leather's started to crack on this one)

A bigger intercooler (S3/THS)

I'm still waiting for plastic insert from my TT-S engine cover to be painted. I handed it over to the painter at least 5 weeks ago and have been told that it'll be next week, for at least the last 3 weeks. It's got to a point where the job is going to be FOC but I think I may end up being held to ransom because of that. Ah well.

I might as well add now, the car is getting more power. I'm not going to say what just yet but a different turbo is involved and the car is booked in for the labour to be carried out on the 29th October, with mapping to follow. I really like my APR map and would still recommend them to anybody but this will be written to suit the turbo. Power is expected to be in the region of 320+ bhp. Before any of that happens, I'm going to R Tech's charity rolling road day on Sunday to see what power the car is making and hoping for at least 265bhp!

I'd also like to get the car to the stage where it could hold its own in a show and shine next year, which means having all of the calipers repainted (the powder coat on the fronts has cracked) along with the rear break disc dust/stone shields and having a couple of dings pulled out. None of it major but just takes time really. If I have the front brakes repainted, I am tempted to get a set of S3 rears and have them painted the same colour at the same time. I still think they need to be red though.