j0hn

Looks great John, much prefer the wheels in that colour, just fyi, I fit the polar FIS+ advanced on mine and now have the ops on my Columbus activated, not sure if there are a difference in model year sensors, mine is 2008 btw,

Also you will love when you get to 320+ bhp, although I am used to it now and it has become the norm and I find myself sometimes wishing I had more!!!

:thumbup:

Mark - my PDC is an aftermarket Cobra kit so to get OPS working, I am going to need to retrofit a whole OE kit. I really want the flush sensors like those fitted to the Mk II Superb, Mk VI Golf and Audis, rather than the type with the bezel surround on the outside. The goal is to get OPS fitted along with a facelift climate panel and getting it all working on the display of an Amundsen+ (so I can retain DAB). I'd then also look at a Polar FIS+ too as it would be useful to get a bit more monitoring when the car is running a higher state of tune.

I went down to R-Tech's Charity Rolling Road day with Jonny5ive this morning, got there early enough to book my car onto the rollers which resulted in this:

10015236266_fa38d1e2ac_c.jpg

TF51 VRS Dyno by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

Max figures of 273 bhp and 309 lb ft, which I'm happy with on a Stage II+ car. Sort of :giggle:

APR quote the following for their Stage II+

20tfsi_trans_graph.png

That's a deficit of nearly 10 bhp and nearly 20 lb ft vs APR, which made me think:

Does my car actually only have Stage II software

I don't think so really

Are APR being a bit optimistic with their figures?

Hmm...possibly, but again I don't see why they would

Does their power/torque figure take into account the other 'recommended hardware for Stage II+?

10000467873_f0e4434937.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-09-29 at 15.55.46 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

I think this is most likely. Those extra numbers have to come from somewhere (atmospheric conditions, dyno type and fuel quality aside) and I wouldn't be surprised if APR's own uprated intercooler played a major part along with the small differences between APR's 3" 200 cell TBE, APR's HPFP and the Carbonio intake (except that their VWR intake was developed from and is based on the ITG intake fitted to my car - and not a lot of people know that, my name is Michael Cai....oh you get the idea). I would be interested to see what the car would run with an intake fitted but I'm not really going to blub over 10 bhp.

I tell you what, whatever it's making, it's bloody fast. I had a little play with an Ibiza Cupra 20vT earlier, must be heavily modded as it was on the way to R Tech. If he was trying, then he needs a bit more power although, if he wasn't trying then it's entirely possible that he might have given me a right pasting! :D

Oh yea sorry I forgot you don't have the oem pdc, I actually asked you about your pdc kit last year sometime!

The polar FIS is definitely worth getting if you have maxidot, I also have the FL climate panel, makes a nice difference to the interior compared to the older panel,

Nice figures too, you will really enjoy 320+ I'm sure....

Yes should be all good with an extra bit of go. I'll come to that next.

A couple of bits to update, I bought one of the cup holder inserts from the Mk III that holds your iPhone and stops it wobbling about, I've also bought a new glovebox light as might went south ages ago but haven't yet fitted it.

I also recently became aware of an aftermarket diverter valve made by Go Fast Bits (an Australian company I think) - it retains the original solenoid and is basically a replacement piston and basket that fits in place of either the piston (rev D) or rubber diaphragm (C or G) and won't leak like the former or tear like the latter. I'm on the bus into uni at the minute so I'll post up some pics and video when I get home. The difference is subtle but the car definitely feels slightly stronger and seems to hold boost better, especially between gears. The D that I removed must have been leaking as the noise of air under pressure was present when under load and on boost, especially accelerating in a high gear.

Onto the power - the car is due for an uprated turbo, not saying what yet, and a custom map to suit. I was under the impression that the supporting mods would be adequate and that of have to get an intercooler (S3 sufficient). However the most recent conversation I've had is that the 200 cell cat won't provide the level of flow the tuner really wants and ditto my enclosed intake, which means replace the intake for an open one and try and source a 100 cell cat. BCS want £500 for a down pipe with 100 cell or will replace the cat in my down pipe for £200. Add on £350+ for the intake, then the I/C and it's starting to add up a bit, which is forcing me to consider the options carefully.

We'll have to see.

I'm not sure which turbo route your taking John, so I could be spouting useless information here, but a friend of mine here in Ireland was going to use a garrett turbo on his mk5 gti and was aiming for 340ish bhp, he had so many things which needed changing and having to modify so many bits and pieces that he went for the well tried and tested k04 route, like your saying, he said it was going to cost a lot more than k04 to go the other turbo option and he wasn't happy that it would be reliable enough compared to the k04, but as I say, this could be useless information as I don't know which turbo you are looking at fitting, but good luck with it anyway, looking forward to seeing the results

It's a tough one Mark, but essentially the car is going to be used as a development mule for a hybrid K03 and will be getting a hybrid turbo, set of S3 injectors and a custom map to suit. Power is expected to be in the region of 330 - 350 bhp and hopefully about the same torque.

I was told the car would need an intercooler, which is fine as it was on my list, and a THS intercooler has been sourced and will be fitted. However, I've since discovered that they're looking for the best flowing set up which means either decat or a 100 cell cat at the very least. There was also some concern over the intake setup with the belief that it won't flow as well as an open cone. Personally I'm not so sure but I'm going to do some logging on my way out this afternoon to see what volume of air is passing the MAF, the boost it's allowing and try to compare this with an open cone.

For the total spend, it's going to be a quick car - A K04 conversion would cost me around £1400 fitted (using a second hand turbo and injectors) and I would still have to buy an intercooler if I wanted one which I'm not having to spend as it's essentially someone else's project, so it's not all bad news!

Got two intercoolers sourced - a THS and an S3. The tuner seems to think that an intercooler would give my car another 20 bhp in its current state of tune, which is interesting.

200 cell cat is staying as BCS's 5" 200 cell cat apparently flows as well as their 3" decat.

So, more to follow I guess.

• Like 2

THS would be the better choice than S3 for what you are doing Afaik John, you should look into the new Revo intake, ITG or EVOMS, they all seem to get the best results

The THS is first choice Daz, just depends on the one earmarked for me being available when it's time to put it on - budget doesn't stretch to a new one.

I've logged the air past the MAF with my current ITG setup and shows 190kg/s or whatever the measurement units are. I have an open cone setup on the way (ITG again) and will swap the filters, do some more logs and stick with whichever flows best.

I took that GFB DV+ out again today and fitted a Rev G at the request of the tuner.

An update from a layby on the A46 south of Newark, waiting for the RAC.

I was on the way to a track day at Blyton Park, 70mph with the cruise on when the engine light started flashing (the submarine, not the EPC). Pulled over, switched off and there is no throttle response whatsoever and strangely, no fault codes.

Tried pulling the battery but problem is still there. Really annoying and spoiled what would have been a good day. The car will be recovered to AKS now so it should hopefully be sorted when the turbo, injectors and intercooler go on.

And here we end up, at that hallowed place of car maintenance and modification.

Posted Image

Untitled by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

Left home at 0700, rang RAC at 0751 who were with me by 0830ish. First patrol left and I was recovered to Bedford by 1300.

One possibility is the anti theft on the APR map might have been triggered by a duff cruise switch but no fault codes showing to suggest the switch is knackered. Hmmm....

Still there Rob. It's booked in for work Tuesday/Wednesday anyway so we'll see what happens but I'm probably going to get it written back to stock. I've had to chase APR for a solution and have to send them my chassis number once I've pulled out the V5. I need to add an extra 3 hours a day to my commute without a car so motivation has been lacking somewhat!

A few updates with some pics of recent purchases

Bought one of these from an Octavia III

10438998165_4fa855f557_c.jpg

That sits in the cup holder and holds your phone in place

10439138613_0407a4d2a6_c.jpg

I also picked up a GFB (Go Fast Bits) DV+. This part replaces the piston from the revision D or the diaphragm from the revision C or G diverter valves and is supposed to improve performance by preventing boost leaking past the piston or diaphragm.

10544240814_cca0cd5aee_c.jpg

10544196946_226d80c31c_c.jpg

GFB's blurb is here http://www.gfb.com.au/products/blow-off-and-diverter-valves/dv-plus/dv-t9351-suits-late-model-vag-euro-applications-by-gfb and explained with a vid of how the DV+ works.

The only issue is that the early DV+ valves had a tendency to be forced open by high boost pressue (C.30psi) but seemed to have the issue with my car running somewhere in the region of 22 - 24psi peak. They have since issued a fix which is a revised plunger and a stronger spring, however I replaced this with a rev G DV and the problem of stuttering/fluttering under load went away. Once the upgrade kit turns up I may refit it if I can be bothered or might just sell it on with an OE solenoid ready to go.

After a long wait, the centre panel of my engine cover was finally repainted. Due to the length of time it took, it was done for free although unfortunately most of the locating clips had been broken off so has now been fixed into place with some silicone sealant.

10544209745_4f373337dc_c.jpg

I must take some better pics of the engine bay but essentially:

10544508766_0ee3da88ac_c.jpg

In preparation for winter, I decided to treat the spare wheels to a set of wheel bags. Not the Skoda branded ones but identical Richbrook items that protect the wheels and make them much easier to carry around. A bargain £25 for a set!

10544434303_826e22d80e_o.jpg

And, after saying I wasn't going to bother, I've bought a FL climate control panel

10544158055_216e4b5c78_c.jpg

I got in touch with Eddie_NL who said he could get new ones with heated seat switches, so I asked the question of how much it would cost to retro fit heated seats (ie the heating elements and loom to the stock seats) but never heard back. Probably for the best as the cost would have been quite high.

I need to get the trim panel to be able to fit it all together.

I'd also picked up an S3 intercooler with alloy end tanks, that is yet to materialise, and an ITG Maxogen CAI kit. The latter was at the request of R Tech who say it will flow better than the enclosed kit. As it is, the current enclosed Maxogen flows nearly 200 kg/s of air pas the MAF so I will swap the front ends of the kits over, log the MAF again and then make the decision which I'll keep. I've also got a THS intercooler being fitted to the car as I type this so the S3 I/C is also surplus to requirements.

The to-do list is definitely getting shorter, but I'd still like a sat nav, an OPS retrofit (probably just at the rear) and a new steering wheel, but they'll all have to wait for the time being.

Hopefully some more interesting things to write about in the next couple of days but I'll leave with a picture.

10544515875_647e947e2b_c.jpg

• Like 1

It's an Audi TT-S engine cover Si. From an earlier post:

8441061886_982e9da078_z.jpg

Car is still at AKS, Alex seems to think the file is corrupt as the PIN (now we have identified the correct one :blush: ) cannot be entered. Battery has been disconnected more times that I can remember now, just to see if it can be reset to a stage where it will accept the PIN but no luck. I think it will have to be reflashed to stock.

• Like 1

It's been a busy week! Well, not for me - I'm a student now and spend 2-1/2 days per week sat on my ass and the other 2-1/2 in lectures! AKS had a busy week though!

Just recap for those of you that know and to summarise for those that don't, I'd been in conversation with both AKS and R Tech regarding the development of a hybrid K03 turbo from Beach Buggy Turbos. I don't know much about it, I have to confess, but I guess it is essentially outwardly a stock K03 with similar geometry and a different blade design/wheel/whatever you want to call it inside.

The unfortunate incident with my APR map, 5 days before the job was due to begin, was pure coincidence - I was really happy with the APR software and 270bhp at Stage 2+, and still now think the car drove really well but I'm not going to hide that I'm still ****ed off that the problem, specifically NOT as a consequence of any hardware issue, ruined my day and left me without a car for the thick end of a week.

I was asked to provide a car capable of flowing as well as possible, which meant a bigger intercooler and a tried/tested intake. Cue a big THS Intercooler and an open ITG Maxogen kit to replace my enclosed Maxogen kit. By Tuesday dinner time the car looked like this.

10598920363_3a7a13957a_c.jpg

Unfortunately with the bumper and slam panel out of the way, it was clear that the air con condenser was somewhat past its best and blamed for my leaking air con.

10604208026_b00b1ffd16_c.jpg

A new one was duly ordered and fitted in conjunction with the cooler. I then swapped over the front ends of the ITG CAI kits.

10636235024_e59fd57e25_c.jpg

In addition to the turbo and cooler came a set of Audi S3 injectors to help with power delivery.

I got to pick up the car, with the stock map, yesterday and drove 90 miles up to Nottingham happy that it was at least functional.

This afternoon I dropped it off at R Tech in Hinckley, happy for them to have it for a couple of weeks and assuming they would start next week and it would be worked on around the other cars. They don't mess around - by the time I'd got home they'd already got it on their rollers, done some small calibrations and got 306bhp out of it. Beach Buggy estimate 330bhp and R Tech are looking for flat 1.5 bar across the rev range which should give 330-340 bhp and the same in lb ft.

They're not far off stage 2 K04 numbers so to say I am thus far happy is about right!! :)

I've driven a few 2.0 K04 cars in various stages of tune and whilst they're undoubtedly fast, the nature of the bigger turbo means it doesn't spool up quite as quickly as the little K03. I'm fairly confident in saying that I'll have a pretty quick car by the time it's all done. R Tech have already hinted that this could be the best, easiest and cheapest upgrade for the K03 units without having to do all of the other K04 stuff. Bearing in mind I got 273bhp on the same rollers at APR stage 2+, an extra 40bhp without trying and potentially an extra 60/70bhp total, this could be a very cost effective upgrade for the TFSI without having to spend the £1400ish that you might to do a full K04 conversion, especially if you're looking to take a car past stage 2.

• Like 2