How long to wait now?

Hi Jim,

All I can do is relate my experience. The Westfalia I had fitted is just the job. The detachable neck goes on and locks very simply and stores in with the spare wheel accessories (if you've ordered a spare). The bumper cut has been done as per the markings on the inside of the bumper and is a very neat job, unlike some others' photos I've seen on here.

I just don't know what you get for £155 if you order the towbar preparation. I spoke to Derby Towbars this afternoon who fitted mine (I wanted to ask him something anyway) and he reckoned the same as me...it may just be the wring loom that sits under the internal plastic sill trims, and connects from the fusebox at the front to where the electronics sit behind the side wall trim in the boot. It's a lot of money for 7ft of cable and if you buy an aftermarket towbar you'll end up paying again for the same amount of wiring in the electronics that come with it, assuming you'll want dedicated electronics.

Farmers Skoda in Nottingham advised me against the factory towbar and preparation. They outsource their towbar installations to a separate local company but they only fit Witter towbars which seem to be quite a lot more expensive with dedicated electrics. As the chap at Derby Towbars pointed out, Westfalia are a German company, and possibly suited to VAG group cars??? I asked him if the TSA was enabled in the recoding. I assume it has been. Everything else works as it should, but the TSA is invisible and you only find out about it when in trouble and you need it. He couldn't answer the question but he will find out and let me know. The kit they use for recoding is fully automatic...they just plug it in and tell the machine the make and model of car and it updates the necessary ECU parameters automatically.

I hope this helps...there must be others who have had dedicated electronics with aftermarket towbars who can share their experience.

Simon

Thanks Simon, I've posted a reply in the 'Facory prep towbar electrics' thread to help this one get back on track.

Jim

Edited by Claymore

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say that I have now taken delivery of my new car!

The dealership (mentioned above) originaly quoted 12-14 weeks, but in the end I got it 7 weeks and 4 days from placing the order! :happy:

Way better than the 6+ months that at one time I thought I was going to have to wait.

Problem is that now I have to resist leaving work early to go and play with the car some more.

For once I can't wait for my kids to ask for lifts here there and everywhere, the further the better.

The car is a joy to drive, I just need to learn to relax and to stop looking at other road users with a "don't come near me" stare!

Already one lesson learnt, don't let the wife talk whilst trying to use voice control. Works well when only one person is talking but if the other half starts talking part way through it's anyones guess as to who you will call, where you will navigate to or what music you'll end up listening to! :rofl:

Edited by leWrat

When I ordered a new car I just went through the ones that were on the build list and I compromised on options.

I wasn't really that bothered to wait 5 months for a car when I only wanted Maxidot for example....

Already one lesson learnt, don't let the wife talk whilst trying to use voice control. Works well when only one person is talking but if the other half starts talking part way through it's anyones guess as to who you will call, where you will navigate to or what music you'll end up listening to! :rofl:

The other day I was about to bark 'vavigation' at the voice control when someone on the radio said 'radio'....and off it went!

Jim