Kia

130bhp

My mechanic is seriously considering one for towing his caravan and he's come from a BMW. Was going to get a Discovery but since he's only using it for towing and its 20k cheaper, with the warranty it makes sense

A better buy at 3yr old. Most of the depreciation over with and still 4yr of warranty left.

And to be honest the build quality obviously isn't up to VAG quality however it isn't a million miles away.

And VAG quality is still something to aspire to these days?

Goodness help us, if quality is a series of failures and a UK network that gives the impression of being unwilling to do the right thing by their customers.

• Like 1

Personally if I was in the market for replacing my car I'd seriously consider one of the new Kia's. The reviews they are getting are generally good and the quality is getting very good and certainly higher than some of the non-premium mainstream marques already. Add that to the pricing against equipment levels and the warranty...

Problem is that AFAIK they don't do a diesel with a decent output.

The 2.2lt diesel unit is with 195 BHP out of the box...this is way more than any 2lt diesel from VAG or even BMW. The torque also is way above all of them at 322lb ft.

Kia Optima is with 1.7 diesel engine and 134BHP and 239 lb.ft, this is the same as Skoda VRS.....with 200cc less.

The 2.2lt diesel unit is with 195 BHP out of the box...this is way more than any 2lt diesel from VAG or even BMW. The torque also is way above all of them at 322lb ft.

Kia Optima is with 1.7 diesel engine and 134BHP and 239 lb.ft, this is the same as Skoda VRS.....with 200cc less.

I stand corrected although BMW do squeeze over 200 bhp from a twin turbo derv. Which model is the 2.2 in?

I stand corrected although BMW do squeeze over 200 bhp from a twin turbo derv. Which model is the 2.2 in?

The second generation Sorento is with 2.2CRDI

• Like 1

I saw their new Optima at the weekend, I honestly thought it was a Lexus/merc!

New-Kia-Optima.jpg

Id have a Kia

I love the wheels, Oh I would love to have them on my estate :)

looks like a slightly naff version of a scirocco if you ask me.

I don't know about modern Kia, but I had a people carrier as a hire car once and it had a 2.2 Merc derv engine.

I have to say on the BMW power front, they get over 200bhp from a 2.0L engine, with pretty good emissions too.

What are the emissions like form the Kia models?

The warranty however is certainly a distinct plus point, even if it doesn't cover everything for the full 7 years.

looks like a slightly naff version of a scirocco if you ask me.

I don't know about modern Kia, but I had a people carrier as a hire car once and it had a 2.2 Merc derv engine.

I have to say on the BMW power front, they get over 200bhp from a 2.0L engine, with pretty good emissions too.

What are the emissions like form the Kia models?

The warranty however is certainly a distinct plus point, even if it doesn't cover everything for the full 7 years.

Few people have mentioned BMW 200BHP from 2.0lt engine. I would be grateful if you could let me know what model is that?

The 3 series (E90-2006/2011) the 320i was for sale with 3 different power outputs: 150/170 and 177BHP all of them with the same torque of 155 lb·ft

The diesel version 320D sold with 160/175 and 180BHP and 250 and 280 lb·ft.

So what BMW 2.0lt is with over 200BHP everyone is talking about?

The only one I could think of is 325D with 200BHP and almost 430 lb-ft. but this is not 2.0lt

Few people have mentioned BMW 200BHP from 2.0lt engine. I would be grateful if you could let me know what model is that?

The 3 series (E90-2006/2011) the 320i was for sale with 3 different power outputs: 150/170 and 177BHP all of them with the same torque of 155 lb·ft

The diesel version 320D sold with 160/175 and 180BHP and 250 and 280 lb·ft.

The only one I could think of is 325D with 200BHP and almost 430 lb-ft. but this is not 2.0lt

525d & facelift 125d both have a 214bhp 2.0 diesels & the pre facelift 123d has a 201bhp 2.0 diesel. :thumbup:

The 123d ... 201bhp and 295 lb/ft with just 138g/km CO2 :D

Not driven any of the big power Kia offerings, but the 140bhp 2.0 diesel Kia I drove lacked the smoothness and refinement and driving involvement of the equivalent BMW offerings but as an A-to-B device it would fit the bill perfectly, especially with a long warranty.

Chris

Edited by ScoobyChris

VW do 100k/4 year warranties, but only on commercials so far....

It's better, but still not a 7 year warranty.

If the major pbrands get to 5 years on everything, then they'll be talking.

On the 2.0 Engine, the 123d has a 2.0 engine and some of the *25d engines are tuned up 2.0 4 pot rather than a tuned down 6 pot engine too.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

525d & facelift 125d both have a 214bhp 2.0 diesels & the pre facelift 123d has a 201bhp 2.0 diesel. :thumbup:

The 123d ... 201bhp and 295 lb/ft with just 138g/km CO2 :D

Not driven any of the big power Kia offerings, but the 140bhp 2.0 diesel Kia I drove lacked the smoothness and refinement and driving involvement of the equivalent BMW offerings but as an A-to-B device it would fit the bill perfectly, especially with a long warranty.

Chris

OK guys but they are twin turbo, so you can't really compare them to the "normal" diesel 2.0lt we are talking about. It is like put together SDI and and TDI PD, the same 1.9 diesel engine but one is without turbo the other one is with and after that we have VRS :)

OK guys but they are twin turbo, so you can't really compare them to the "normal" diesel 2.0lt we are talking about. It is like put together SDI and and TDI PD, the same 1.9 diesel engine but one is without turbo the other one is with and after that we have VRS :)

Not really, they have 2 turbo chargers and the kia has an extra 0.2L capacity. At the end of the day a single turbo engine can put out more power than a twin turbo one if the designer wants. It's all down to the boost pushed through. A bigger turbo would however take longer to spool up, so leading to more turbo lag.

The second turbo won't add to the power much (well not strictly true as they can use a larger turbo and not see lag, due to the smaller one), but more provide a smooth power delivery, with a small turbo for the bottom end and a larger one for the top end.

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Like 1

By that logic, how can you compare a 2.2l to a 2.0l?

The most powerful 2.0l diesel Kia offer is the 138bhp in the Pro'Ceed, whereas BMW and VAG offer 170bhp...

Chris

• Like 1

Just to complicate matters further, I read on Autocar a month or so back that the new Golf will have 180bhp from a 2.0L oil burners and that the GTD will have 220!

I guess that's progress for you.