Chrome Alloy Corrosion 'offer'

Appreciate this topic hasnt been added to for a while but i've had exactly the same thing happen to ours. Occured approx 9 months old, all four wheels developing corrosion. Skoda accepted this as a warranty job and replaced all four wheels FOC even though one of the wheels had been kerbed. Current set are now approx same age and are fine, even though two have been mildly kerbed (not by me I must add!).

I was very impressed as it was all done with no fuss or questions asked. However the vinyl wrap on the B pillars of the car started peeling away, sent it in for warranty replacement, the same dealer insinuated that i'd caused the damage by washing the car too much (think it had been washed perhaps 4 times in 9 months) and agreed to repair it under warranty just this once and it would be chargable next time. Needless to say they've started going funny again but i wont pay to have them replaced.

I find it interesting how the attitudes vary to warranty issues even at the same dealers. 9 month old wheels shouldnt corrode but equally vinyl wrapping shouldnt start deteriorating on a 9 month old car either yet their attitude to both issues couldnt have been any different.

I have to say though that I do kind of wish (regardless of how good they look) that i'd just gone for the standard alloys. If they corrode again or I end up damaging them all badly enough to warrant repairing them (lets face it no matter how careful any of us are it always usually happens) i'll have them painted black.

Had an RX8 prior to my VRS and although never had my wheels replaced it was a common fault due to the way the alloys were made in Japan vs our harsher climate (apparatnely). From the old forums I used to be on for the RX8 i reckon 9 out of every 10 claims were honoured by Mazda as they were aware it was a mfg issue and a problem.

Good luck - so far I have seen a tiny piece of corrosion on one of my dark chromes and will mention it at the next service.

Spot on. Skoda must know there's a problem but by turning a deaf ear to it they're obviously hoping it goes away. Same with leaky rear doors on MKI Fabias - they point blank refused to acknowledged there was a problem.

I have pinged them an email - no real point other than to make me feel a bit better :giggle: .

Haven't even received the courtesy of a response - anyone know the email address? Think it was something like [email protected]

I don't think it's a case of kerb/stone/climate damage but just the fact that lacquer does not stick at all well to bare metal. Personally I'd avoid them at all costs as any replacement wheels would go the same way after a couple of years. I say fair play to Skoda for replacing the wheels FOC already as I'm fairly sure the only corrosion warranty is for the body of the vehicle and not parts attached to it. And as for the legal "not fit for purpose" quote, I'm not sure that works as it's only cosmetic and not effecting the use of the wheel. With that said though, I'd be unhappy too so would want something done about it. Just remember if the dealership has taken photos and sent them back to Skoda/wheel manufacturer, you're issue is with them and not the dealership.

Lacquer, paint, plastics, protective coating sticks to bare metal with correct manufacturing, procedures etc. Correct surface , etch, and products.

(some coating are applied and are porous when they should not be & others get porous with the wrong care or products used on them. Car wheels should stand up to certain things like washing and using to drive on. User abuse is sometimes an easy excuse for bad design or manufacturing defects, or just a bad product that will not last or its appearance will suffer.)

Not suitable for purpose can sometimes cover it when car manufactures produce 'Lemons'.

Protection of bare metals is whats been happening for decades, centuries now, since the Iron age and before. Protecting Alloys & other metals is now well worked out It is not rocket science, everything in the world corrodes if left out,.

The control of and prevention of corrosion on surfaces is well understood.

Just somethings take thousands of years, & Dark Chrome wheels get White Spider within months of use, & others do not.

dust to dust.

The wheels are replaced under 'Manufacturing defect.'

Skoda replace the wheels, some Dealerships or members of staff in Dealerships just take odd positions on Warranty Claims.

Skoda UK know the problem, VAG knows the problem.

VAG/Skoda needs to let Dealewrships know to stop causing problems and deal with the issue promptly..

I did a previous post on getting your wheels off & grease in the centre before the winter.

Not just important on the Dark Chrome wheels.

Your wheels might never of been off untill the 3 year service & might not even be off then.

The centres almost weld their self on with the Corrosive action.

Easiest to grease & check the wheels now, rather than after a puncture or when you want to change pads or tyres.

(Copper grease & not too much)

george

18 month old wheels that had obviously never been off before the 10 minutes fight it took to get 2 rears off.

After taking taking the VRS with corrosion on 3 wheels 6 weeks ago it is finally going in to get sorted on Tuesday. But they are getting them refurbished rather than replacing. So iv gotta go without it for 2-3 days and pay £12 a day for the privilege of a car. Hopefully, who ever is doing the refurbishment does a good job and they go corrosion free for a bit longer next time.

For some reason a warranty claim seems very dealer specific. They all handle things very differently. Once you have found a dealer that is half decent then stick with them IMO. Anyone got any recommendations in the Manchester area? Lookers Stockport are worse than useless.

Lacquer, paint, plastics, protective coating sticks to bare metal with correct manufacturing, procedures etc. Correct surface , etch, and products.

I do see what you're saying but I can assure you clear lacquer will not stick to bare metal in the same way an etch primer would. Wheel manufactures have using the same diamond cut/polished finishes for many years, and in almost all cases they will only last a fraction of the time before looking horrible and scabby.

I am a car sprayer and have been for a long time, before that i trained in Industrial spraying, so really you can not assure me.

Acid Etch is not a primer, it is a preparation & we use it with lacquer just the same, we etch many surfaces pre protecting.

(doing the same as a coloured Etch primer you are thinking on, no colour, very fine coating.)

The Dark Chrome finish is rather different from any lacquer i use tho.

http://www.paintstrip.com/wheel.htm

george

Interesting stuff but don't these alloys speak for themselves? And as a car sprayer I'm sure these can't be the first clear lacquered wheels you've seen that have prematurely aged with water getting under the lacquer and eventually flaking off?

They are the worst i have ever seen in 36 years from a manufacturer as a special fit that go so wrong so quick.

Skoda know it well enough.

My first set just got 1 wheel replaced then i painted them all, (not stripped, just prepped)

& the second car i bought had 2 replaced.

I actually like them in looks while they are clean, but they are generally cr4p and will look terrible in a short time.

There are plenty that are staying nice.

I would not bother refurbing them for myself, just prepare & paint, i have other better wheels,

but when there is a risk of kerbing by SWIO, they are fine,

george

These replacements are staying nice & still undamaged surprisingly.

The metallic paint on them is a slightly different shade from the ones they replaced.

• 1 year later...

Bump.

Pictures might be missing from my posts, but i can PM them or post again to anyone still having trouble with Dealerships or Skoda UK.

it is getting on for 4 years since the first wheels were fitted and for more than 3 years some have had Dark Chrome Gigaro Replaced under Wrranty.

Some Dealers still say they have never heard of the Corrosion, and strech out the Warranty Procedure.

george

I am in the process of getting all 4 wheels replaced under warranty with Newmarket Skoda Bannockburn (Graham). The rear wheels are the worst but the spider effect is very evident on the fronts.

Registered Oct 2012   8500 miles.

I in the first instance had emailed them a few pics (2 months ago) of the damage as I live a considersable distance from the dealers, he agreed that there was damage on looking at the photos. I was heading south last month so popped in to let Graham see all 4 wheels for himself, very pleasant and understanding chap, initially he said that he had never come across the problem before, but never admitted that he had heard of it when I spoke to him in person. Ho took photos of the wheels and was shocked at the damge and agreed that they should be replaced under warranty and that Skoda themselves might want to inspect them. I may add that there is very slight kerbing on the NSF wheel but never mentioned it even though he had a wee rub at it, I aked if I could have standard wheels as I don't want it happening again but apparently its like for like he said. Got a phone call 4 days later from Graham to tell me that Skoda agreed that all 4 wheels can be replaced under warranty, so popping in Mon 11th Aug on way back from Edinburgh to get them fitted, will post once the job is done, watch this space.

Edited by willie5094
  • Like 1

I've had two full sets replaced under warranty in 2 years by my local dealer and actually encouraged me to pursue it before my factory warranty ran out.

They also never had an issue with rim damage as they said spidering from the centre was completely unrelated.

• Like 1

I can confirm I had a full set of wheels replaced under warranty with the exact same issue (this was in 2012). Dealers struggled to take photos of the spidering, but that was the only problem they had. Once the pics had been submitted, Skoda UK coughed up no problem.

Same with spidering badges (front, rear and all four wheel centres).

I've got the same with two of my alloys. I'm going to ring skoda tomorrow and get it booked in.

You will probably get it on all four eventually, wait if you can so you can get them all done together that's what I done. Back 2 usually first to get it then gradually appears on the front 2, but not as noticable as the rears.

• Like 1

You will probably get it on all four eventually, wait if you can so you can get them all done together that's what I done. Back 2 usually first to get it then gradually appears on the front 2, but not as noticable as the rears.

You're right with it starting on back two. I can't see it on the fronts at the moment but like you say, it's probably only a matter of time until it's on them too. My warranty is up in October. You think I have a chance of getting them all done?

Skoda are well aware of the issue. It isn't limited to the Fabia either.

The Proteus alloys on the MkII Octavia Scout were the first diamond cut or polished alloy fitted to a modern Skoda, hence all early Scouts suffer now.

Then we saw the Gigaro on the Fabia and the Thermisto on the Superb - all delaminate after a few winters.

Diamond cut alloys are now all the rage and fitted by most manufacturers. Let's hope they improve their durability for those who keep our cars beyond the three year warranty.

Leave it long enough and they turn into this...

IMG_0270.jpg

Then we saw the Gigaro on the Fabia and the Thermisto on the Superb - all delaminate after a few winters.

I wish! :-)

Took only 7000 miles and less than a year for my Gigaros to start spidering. By 15,000 miles the replacement set had started doing it too!

• Like 1

You're right with it starting on back two. I can't see it on the fronts at the moment but like you say, it's probably only a matter of time until it's on them too. My warranty is up in October. You think I have a chance of getting them all done?

Your front wheels might not start showing the signs by October, it's really your call whether to leave it a few weeks and see what happens to the fronts, and again it all depends in how quick your dealer reports it to Skoda UK. But saying that if you report it to them before the warranty runs out I would imagine they would still have to react, good luck.

• Like 1

Have you had those wheels off and looked at the other side, 

that is if you can know get them off without lots of persuasion.  

If they have been on there without a little Copper Slip or some barrier grease they will be well stuck on.

Have the car well supported on the axle stands not just the Jack if trying to get them off.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi