Rapid - first official photos!

skra200_4fe030737ca42.jpg

skra400_4fe03073c98c1.jpg

Mladá Boleslav, June 19th, 2012 - ŠKODA is resolutely pursuing its model offensive, presenting its new compact saloon, the ŠKODA Rapid, just a few months after the introduction of the ŠKODA Citigo subcompact. The brand’s most recent addition is to play a central role in the company’s growth strategy and will be phased in on European markets from the autumn of 2012.

The ŠKODA Rapid impresses with lots of room, an expressive design, an excellent price-value ratio, a comprehensive safety offering and efficient engines. “This is a model which sets benchmarks in the compact saloon segment: The ŠKODA Rapid is a roomy, elegant and at the same time an affordable car for the whole family, impressing with clever solutions, cutting-edge technology and high economy. In short, it is a car permitting mobility in a comfortable, reasonably priced and environmentally friendly package. The right car at the right time,” says ŠKODA CEO Winfried Vahland.

The Rapid is a perfect complement of the model palette between the ŠKODA Fabia and the ŠKODA Octavia, making it at home in the large-volume compact segment. This so-called A segment currently accounts for about 36 per cent of the world’s automobile market. Within this class, saloons have a share of around 42 per cent. Industry experts estimate the number of cars of this type sold worldwide will rise by about 50 per cent by the year 2020.

ŠKODA’s Rapid first to show complete new design

The Rapid is the first ŠKODA series car ever to fully feature the brand’s newly formulated design language. “This is a car that gives out a clear statement at first glance: clear, precise, fresh and emotional,” says Eckhard Scholz, ŠKODA board member for technical development.

Perfect proportions, clear and cleanly modelled surfaces and sharply drawn lines combine to create an attractive overall appearance. The front end displays a new take on ŠKODA-typical design elements. The new brand logo confidently stands out on the harmonically rounded front edge of the bonnet. The grille shows a finely drawn chrome frame and is formed by vertical slats. The headlight ensemble is grouped at the front of the ŠKODA Rapid to form a cloverleaf shape.

The body’s side also conveys pure emotion though a long wheelbase and a coupé-like silhouette, but also thanks to a precise and sharp tornado line creating a clear division of light and shadow. At the rear, the car’s large tailgate is not merely functional, but also acts as a design element. In addition, distinctly shaped taillights in the brand’s typical C shape and the new brand logo all combine to make the ŠKODA Rapid unmistakable.

ŠKODA’s latest offspring impresses with a surprising amount of space despite compact exterior dimensions (4.48 metres in length, 1.7 metres in width). This clever compact saloon provides room for five occupants and their baggage and, this being a ŠKODA, the brand’s signature clever solutions and excellent price-value ratio as well as comprehensive safety equipment. Five petrol and two diesel engines are on offer as powerplants. ŠKODA’s newest creation will be on public display for the first time at the Paris Auto Salon. ŠKODA is aiming the Rapid especially at families looking for a roomy first car at an affordable price in ŠKODA’s familiar quality.

Looks good. Should be more photos early next week from the journalists presentation in Vienna.

The press release confirms 5 petrol engines; we already know

1.2HTP 75BHP

1.2TSI 85BHP

1.2TSI 105BHP

1.4TSI 122BHP

... so what is the 5th? Maybe we will get the 160 1.4 after all? Or the 140 with cylinder shutdown?

What I like about this car is that it still looks Skodarey but a lot sharper than most of the recent efforts. Think it'll look ace in real life; the bodywork looks expensive for what should be a cheapish car and I like the headlights too with the detailed shaping and nice glasswork.

The press release confirms 5 petrol engines; we already know

1.2HTP 75BHP

1.2TSI 85BHP

1.2TSI 105BHP

1.4TSI 122BHP

... so what is the 5th? Maybe we will get the 160 1.4 after all? Or the 140 with cylinder shutdown?

It looks good!

Which 2 diesel engines though? The 1.6 is a no-brainer, but which other one? The 1.2 for a Greenline, or something new?

Could the last petrol engine be reserved for a vRS version? The 160 1.4 or saving space for a 180 1.6?

It looks good!

Which 2 diesel engines though? The 1.6 is a no-brainer, but which other one? The 1.2 for a Greenline, or something new?

Could the last petrol engine be reserved for a vRS version? The 160 1.4 or saving space for a 180 1.6?

Think the 2 diesels are just two different power versions of the 1.6 (105 and 90)

Don't think a vRS will be available from launch and they give the impression 5 petrol engines will be available immediately.

Good lady has just seen the photos and declared that that's our next family car; normal has little interst in motors so a first :giggle: however that would mean bye-bye Yeti :sweat:

Oh a Rapid 136 was her (and our) first Skoda :)

TP

Good lady has just seen the photos and declared that that's our next family car; normal has little interst in motors so a first :giggle: however that would mean bye-bye Yeti :sweat:

Oh a Rapid 136 was her (and our) first Skoda :)

TP

Exactly what I'm thinking!

I don't need an Octy, but want something bigger than the Fabia

Roll on the vRS version :)

Looks very nice indeed, clean & sharp. Side profile is very Audi - which isn't a bad thing. it looks good. front has a nice agressive stance, but not overly so.

vRS version would look great.

This looks very, very good indeed. I'd go as far as to say it's one of the nicest looking cars I've seen from any manufacturer for a very long time. I hope that there is a performance version. I've been wondering for a while what to replace my Octy 1.8Tsi with when the time comes. It looks so good, I'm surprised VAG have allowed Skoda to make this. The Seat Toledo version looks pretty stunning too.

I want one!!!!

Think the 2 diesels are just two different power versions of the 1.6 (105 and 90)

Don't think a vRS will be available from launch and they give the impression 5 petrol engines will be available immediately.

Hmm, in that case my money would be on a 140bhp 1.4

That is going to be well more than adequate for this kind of car :)

Mmm. Like the look of it, don't like the engine line up.

I think that the 1.4 (122) maybe slightly underpowered.

Have you ever driven a 1.2TSI Fabia? While there are several words that can describe it, underpowered is not one of them. It's no road-rocket, but it's quite brisk when you want it to be.

The HTP will be underpowered though.

If I'm right and the Rapid weighs the same as a Roomster, then the 1.4TSI 122 will be fairly quick.

I think I'd need to see one in the flesh in a decent colour to pass judgement properly but I just wonder if it looks a bit narrow and stocky at the rear.

What I do like though is the sharpness to the features and lights etc. - much like the Octy MkII pre-FL - which I much prefer to the more rounded features on the current cars.

• Like 1

Well the one in that vid has obviously got a bit of bhp; check out the brakes :yes:

A bit of an illusion maybe though, the brakes on mine are a decent size compared to the wheel. Note the drum rear brakes on the Rapid.

We just need to know the proper pricing now.