Second Gear Crunch

Mick G

Hello Guys and Gals

I own a Roomster 1.4 D on a 07 plate, I have been reading the tech article on changing up from 1st to 2nd gears and getting a grumbling but only when the engine is hot and only that gear, the others are still changing as smooth as silk, I am amazed to read about another member with the same problem, I hope mine is as easy to fix with a gearbox oil change, the car is booked in the next couple of weeks so it will be watch this space!

How good is this that members can come on here and browse for similar problems and solutions.

Mick G

Do post back. I get it sometimes even when the engine is cold. 1st to 2nd only, and I still get a smooth change if I slow the shift down to a second rather than instant, like the rest of the gears. Am hoping all it needs is an oil change.

• Like 1

Hello Grafitti,

I have never had crunch when its been cold, I have been out this morning for quite a while and its been as smooth as silk, about 30 minutes driving sets it off, like you if I slow the gear shift down to go up to second from first thats the only time, its embarrassing at a junction especially when its up hill. It will be doubtful it goes in the garage next week hopefully the week after, my mechanic says it could also be a worn selector plate but why only when its warm and only one gear ?

Double declutching makes the gear change easier (and quieter). I did this for a while but changed the gearbox oil and get no problems at all now. It is well worth doing.

Maybe mine does need a new syncro ring then....I definitely can get it to crunch within 5 minutes of driving. I guess changing the oil for a thicker one makes sense due to it not crunching when cold and the oil is more viscous.

I can imagine that the 1.4 has a bit of trouble when starting off uphill and having to slow between the shift. On the 1.9 it doesn't affect very much as the car pulls right from the low revs. Don't think i could get it going from a dead stop in 2nd gear on an uphill, but very nearly so.

off topic:

It's the same story through all the gears as far as torque goes. I love how i can drive around town with the car in 5th gear and never touch the gas pedal so long as the hills aren't too steep, at a constant 30mph. Amazing mpg too as the engine is just ticking over.

Hello Guys and Gals

I own a Roomster 1.4 D on a 07 plate, I have been reading the tech article on changing up from 1st to 2nd gears and getting a grumbling but only when the engine is hot and only that gear, the others are still changing as smooth as silk, I am amazed to read about another member with the same problem, I hope mine is as easy to fix with a gearbox oil change, the car is booked in the next couple of weeks so it will be watch this space!

How good is this that members can come on here and browse for similar problems and solutions.

Mick G

The oil has been changed today at the garage and I have been for a razz round tonight to get the car good and warm, the gear change feels different going up into 2nd and so far not a grumble,apparently it is a known issue with some VW gearboxes and the advice seems to be to put V A G oil in and slightly overfill with another half a litre from the original specification and that cures most, I am a little sceptical but we will see with the passage of time, I still cannot reconcile why it only happened going up into 2nd and its been perfect in all other gears up or down, here's hoping its not a more fundamental gearbox fault that will cost me a lot more money compared to an oil change.

Mick G

• Like 1

I have got the car quite hot on a decent journey and the 2nd gear seems to be cured, it just shows its either the gearbox oil change or the little extra bit of oil, job done !

Greatly relieved Mick G

Anyone know what oil and how much of it I'd need to change the stuff in the gearbox?

I will check for you, my garage always uses the right V A G oils, I will be going in Tuesday to pay so I will post a reply.

I have been to my garage and paid for the gearbox oil change, I asked how much oil is supposed to go in, they said 2 litres was recommended and also added the extra 1/2 litre of oil, I have to say it works and a lot cheaper than a re-con gearbox, my garage has experienced similar grumbling gear problems before and fitted re-con gearboxes and happened to have a chance conversation with a technical guy who said he believed that the problem is with lubrication which is easily fixed by changing the oil and adding the extra 1/2 litre of oil, my car has only done 28K and the garage has recently had a car in just out of warranty with the same problem both fixed by changing the oil.. so if you have the same problem change the oil in the first place and hope its fixed.

Mick G

• 2 months later...

We have a second gear synchro bulletin for the Roomster iirc. First repair is to drain and refil gearbox with G052 512 A2 oil, if that doesn't work replace synchro with modified parts.

Is this particular to the Roomster or does it affect certain engines across the range? If from what I understand the Roomster is essentially a Fabia underneath, would Fabia engines have this same issue? Am thinking of a Fabia for my OH.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem with our Roomster a 1.4tdi on an 07 plate. Changing from 1st to 2nd, the gears crunch & occasionally from 3rd to 2nd.

It went back to the supplying dealer who adjusted the gearshift cables which worked for about half a day now it's doing it again. Grr it's going back. Must be a problem with these boxes.

This sounds very familiar to me, have you changed the gear box oil ? I was sceptical at first and was waiting for it to recur but after some long journeys it seems fine.

Hope you find a cure soon, post the result.

Mick G

• 6 months later...

My 07 Roomster 1.4tdi 80 has had the cables adjusted & the gearbox oil changed. It is now on its third visit for the 1st to 2nd crunching to have synchros. The oil change worked for a while but was obviously not a permanent solution.

I bought the car with this fault but thought it was me not being used to the car but thanks to this forum I learnt otherwise. The garage have lent us a 61 plate Roomster 1.6 tdi &

the gearchange on that one is silky smooth, just mine comes back the same. Poky little motor that 1.6 bty.