VRS TSI - Zero to K04 (and more!) in 3 weeks

muckipup

Thanks for all your kind words, chaps. As you can imagine, it has been horrific. It would inappropriate to describe the things that I have witnessed on this forum but I hope that something positive will come of it in terms of the press statement and warning to other kids going out tomorrow.

I am still going to drop the car off at JKM tomorrow as any distraction is a good thing at the moment.

• Like 1

A car is just a car, nothing can replace your children. Having a son myself at the age of 16 I can understand your grief.

No more words, I am shocked.....

Sorry to hear about your loss, one of my friends had a heart attack at the weekend after taking something (not sure what) and her heart stopped three times on the way to the hospital

Really makes you wonder how taking these things are "acceptable" when they do so much damage

Hi Dave

I was looking forward to this thread to see your Tsi build, but having just read your news it puts everything in to perspective. You have my sincerest condolences.

I have two children of my own so i cannot imagine what you're going through.

• Like 1

Again, thank you all for your kind words.

The car is still in at the moment although a little delay will mean it will be nearer the middle of next week before we see the near-finished product :thumbup:

Dave having a couple of my own I'm so sorry to hear your unimaginable news mate - hope your family is holding up as best they can, and also hope the Octy distraction is helping you at least a little.

I'm very keen to hear your thoughts on TSI+K04 ... but in time. Topic followed with interest.

My thoughts are with you and your family Dave, i dont have kids yet but thinking what your are going through must be terrible. So sorry to hear the news.

Good luck with the car, Tsi and K04 is gonna be brilliant!

Again, thank you for your thoughts and kind words :thumbup:

UPDATE: The car is on the road but still with JKM while Jim works out if I was unlucky to have a duff batch of petrol in there as it is pulling a bit too much timing. There have also been some interesting success and a big fail.....

Success: This was the use of Revo's own K04 turbo rather than APR's. It is much the same in that a machining solution is applied to the standard Borg Warner K04 turbo.

Partial success: The Blueflame turbo-back exhaust was not a good fir in places requiring slight repositioning of the odd mount. The second partial success were my Ronal R41 black 5-spoke alloys; when I test fitted to my current TFSI it was tight but looked like there would be a couple of mm clearance over the NQS BBK . However, there was a mm or less when properly bolted on to the TSI. Jim at JKM went to a nearby machine shop and managed to get something that would space the calipers away a little bit and hopefully give enough clearance without the need for spacers....I love these guys!

Fail: The Airtec intercooler (Twintercooler look-alike) was a terrible fit. The silicone hoses were completely the wrong geometry to connect-up without forcing changes in shape that would put a lot of stress on the mounting points. I thought the core looked OK but some questions were raised about that too. It had to be 'canned' in favour of the trusted S3 intercooler. I hope I can get my money back or its £430 up the creek.

Should have the car back soon! :love:

Again, thank you for your thoughts and kind words :thumbup:

UPDATE: The car is on the road but still with JKM while Jim works out if I was unlucky to have a duff batch of petrol in there as it is pulling a bit too much timing. There have also been some interesting success and a big fail.....

Success: This was the use of Revo's own K04 turbo rather than APR's. It is much the same in that a machining solution is applied to the standard Borg Warner K04 turbo.

Partial success: The Blueflame turbo-back exhaust was not a good fir in places requiring slight repositioning of the odd mount. The second partial success were my Ronal R41 black 5-spoke alloys; when I test fitted to my current TFSI it was tight but looked like there would be a couple of mm clearance over the NQS BBK . However, there was a mm or less when properly bolted on to the TSI. Jim at JKM went to a nearby machine shop and managed to get something that would space the calipers away a little bit and hopefully give enough clearance without the need for spacers....I love these guys!

Fail: The Airtec intercooler (Twintercooler look-alike) was a terrible fit. The silicone hoses were completely the wrong geometry to connect-up without forcing changes in shape that would put a lot of stress on the mounting points. I thought the core looked OK but some questions were raised about that too. It had to be 'canned' in favour of the trusted S3 intercooler. I hope I can get my money back or its £430 up the creek.

Should have the car back soon! :love:

Bet you are looking forward to getting it back, should be quite a transformation! curious, which Flywheel do we have in our TSI? as i will be buying a Sachs clutch myself shortly!

Bet you are looking forward to getting it back, should be quite a transformation! curious, which Flywheel do we have in our TSI? as i will be buying a Sachs clutch myself shortly!

I'm not 100% but think that the OEM flywheel can be either LUK or Sachs

The car is coming back tomorrow. There was a little bit of a delay while everything was tweaked until JKM were happy with everything. I have to say that JKM have been nothing short of fantastic...there were minor hurdles but I only knew about them after the solution had already been found and applied! :thumbup:

• Like 4

The car is coming back tomorrow. There was a little bit of a delay while everything was tweaked until JKM were happy with everything. I have to say that JKM have been nothing short of fantastic...there were minor hurdles but I only knew about them after the solution had already been found and applied! :thumbup:

Do tell, did they occur due to the Revo K04 kit as opposed to other solutions? looking forward to a full report, I hope you get some figures too!

The car is coming back tomorrow.

I do believe that it is technical now "tomorrow".

:)

But lack of update probably means you're out having fun - I'm guessing you're out painting the roads of Portsmouth with black lines?

I do believe that it is technical now "tomorrow".

:)

But lack of update probably means you're out having fun - I'm guessing you're out painting the roads of Portsmouth with black lines?

:giggle: TBH that is exactly what was going on! It's back now and I can't believe just how good it feels on the road. I am also delighted with how the TSI delivers the power and how the suspension, WALK, Quaife are coming together to get the power on to the road (rather than excessive wheel hopping or wheel spinning). I'll get some pics up later :thumbup:

• Like 2

Ive just seen the figures on facebook dave!!!! Very nice and looks silky smooth. Plus its about 25hp/50lbft on what K04 TFSIs manage there as well.

That must be awesome. BTW, if your considering selling the other car in the next 6 months....

Ive just seen the figures on facebook dave!!!! Very nice and looks silky smooth. Plus its about 25hp/50lbft on what K04 TFSIs manage there as well.

That must be awesome. BTW, if your considering selling the other car in the next 6 months....

Good to hear from you again, Sy! I managed to get a little more opportunity to put it through its paces yesterday and it is truly awesome. I know saying this can sometimes get a groan in response but the numbers almost do not do justice to how the car feels on the road. :p

I have got some interest in the TFSI so not sure if it will be around in 6 months. Either way, I hope that some lucky person can pick that car up in its current form - it would break my heart to take it back to standard. I keep getting questions on why I did not hang on to it and I don't really have an answer.