12v Supply for DAB Radio

I'm going to be adding a DAB radio module to my car. This will then transmit a signal via FM in to the Columbus units & allow me to annoy my kids by listening to Planet Rock VERY LOUD! :giggle:

What I need is some advice on a switched power supply for the unit.

As standard it comes with a cigarette lighter adapter, but the socket in the boot is constant live, and I don't fancy coming back to a car with a flat battery.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a switched supply please?

Thanks,

Wowbagger

Slightly off topic but have you thought of using the AUX socket instead of relying on FM signal, I find the cable (AUX->DAB Radio) also acts as a reasonable aerial.

Yes, all 12V sockets are always live, common on all VAG cars since at least 2001. Canbus switching on all devices means the only place for a switched supply is the fuse box.

Fuse box you say?

B*gger.

Had hoped to avoid too much fiddling.

The DAB unit switches off after 4 hours so I might just see how it goes in terms of battery drain.

Thanks.

Yes, all 12V sockets are always live, common on all VAG cars since at least 2001. Canbus switching on all devices means the only place for a switched supply is the fuse box.

Are you sure ?? My sat nav powered from the ciggie lighter in my Octy powers down when the ignition is turned off and i'm pretty sure the Superb does as well

You can have the Columbus running with the ignition off as I have been watching tv, listening to the radio or looking at the map several times now while my wife was visiting someone in hospital. It does switch off after 30min (ish) unless you start the car and if you leave it on for too long it will sometimes tell you that you need to start the car as the voltage monitoring has detected that the battery needs topping up or it will shut it down to protect the battery.

HI there

I have a Pure Highway hard wired into the car. I used the blade fuse adapter as detailed above, ran cable terminated with a cigarette socket behind the glovebox. The power cable then runs through the back of the glovebox and it is safely stored out the way in there. Most of the time I use the FM transmitter but if I have trouble getting a free station I can just plug in the cable to the aux socket. For info i used the rear wiper circuit as that is switched.

I tried to get a cable run from the glovebox into the jumbo box and the aux socket but couldn;t seem to remove trim etc to route it there.