I read with interest and some sadness that the 1.8 TSI is now discontinued after a 4 year run.

Seems that many on the forum either love or hate that lump... well after 6 months I admit that I love it!

Shes just an Octavia elegance spec 1.8 TSI in brilliant silver but she delivers on so many fronts

Im not sure if there are many cars of 160 BHP that feel so good to drive

Acceleration is very diesel like, and also very smooth.

The engine seems uncannily quiet and when at the lights I sometimes think the engine is off!

Economy is a poplar topic on the forum... I have averaged 43mpg over the last 6,000 miles on my daily 40 mile commute, plus extras.

I have grannied it on a few occasions and got a smidge over 50mpg!

My total outlay for the last 6 months has been a tenner to replace all the incorrect rear bulbs , and litres worth of top up oil.

Never had a car with so much, that cost so little

Anybody else care to share the love?

Yup, I went from a 160bhp 1.8 supercharged Golf G60 to this and that size engine with any sort of turbo is always gonna be a winner in my book. Shame it's gone. :'(

Love mine too, I think he means it is torquey at quite low revs. for petrol. Very sad it has been dropped, unless of course the follow up is the same but even more so (which is not impossible.)

The beauty of this lump is the factory map is really nicely done. It delivers its fairly low bhp and torque output over an extended range. The torque is flat from 1500 to 4,500rpm and that gives it good acceleration wherever you are in the rev range. Now mine is remapped, I prefer it to my previous mk2 VRS OCty's 2 litre lump with stage 1 map. This one seems quieter and more civilised too. I can still get it to give me 40mpg around town and thats in a slab fronted shaped 4x4 Yeti body! I love the engine. :)

Oh no! For me, it's the only thing that makes the car worth driving. Compensates for the rattles and the slow speed kangaroo dsg. What will the Octavia 3 have for petrol - 1.2 tsi and 1.4 tsi? Is the 1.8 to be deleted from all VAGmobiles?

Hopefully it'll get the new 170hp/236lbft 1.8 engine fitted to the A5 and others.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the above post! :-) I'd also be intrigued to know of the differences between the current 1.8 tsi's and the new unit in the Audis. Mine with a stage 1 map is putting out slightly less torque than the new unit so I'm guessing they've upsized the turbo a little?

In the Scout its a great engine, though even after 7 months of ownership I still can't manage a smooth gear shift from 1st to 2nd when accelerating hard! On the fuel economy I managed 36mpg with a full car and roofbox at motorway speeds, which is pretty good considering the same set up on our old PD diesel Scout only managed about 43mpg. As long as they don't replace it with the twin turbo 1.4 TSI from the Golf, as I've heard of various issues with a shortened lifespan of that little thing.

As long as they don't replace it with the twin turbo 1.4 TSI from the Golf, as I've heard of various issues with a shortened lifespan of that little thing.

Twin turbo 1.4? I'm soooo out of date with the latest engines. Interesting they twin turbo something so small, I just woldnt have seen the advantage of that tbh.

I had the 1.8TSI Scout for just over 2 years, and it never had anything go wrong,it is a lovely engine.

I now have the Superb Estate 4X4 SE 1.8 TSI and it is just as good in the Superb( with a little more room in the back). Hope when comes time to change the Superb, the 1.8 TSI or equivalent is available.

Have both CR 2.0ltr diesel and 1.8 TSI and both have their merits. However, the 1.8 TSI is quieter and smoother with a very nicely shaped power curve and only slightly less economical. Moreover, it has no DPF issues and looks likely to cost less in the long term.

Am I right in thinking this 1.8 tsi is also supercharged and turbo'd? I mentioned it to someone before and they said it was turbo only

it's a turbo only engine design.
  • Like 1

Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance has been a worthy companion in the last 4 and a half years.

No problem whatsoever, only a few bulbs changed. The engine is a gem of itself, I hope it will do its business in the same manner for many further years to come...

@PC1212: Where did you read about this?

Ok thanks. I wasn't sure as the 1.4 tsi is twin charged, so thought this would be the same.

Shame their killing it off though

Not in all cars. It is just turbo charged in the Octavia etc but twin charged in the Fabia vRS and Golf etc.

Cracking engines these and really underated I feel.

Phil

Hopefully it'll get the new 170hp/236lbft 1.8 engine fitted to the A5 and others.

Its being offered in the new Leon so should be on the new Octavia - wonder if we will see anything this year?

I also have the Scout with the 1.8 TSI engine and love it. Very refined engine but plenty of pull when needed and was quite a change from my previous car's 1.9TDi PD 130 lump, that just blurted out a huge amount of torque in one big lump, but the acceleration was impressive! :giggle:

As mentioned though, it has a very diesel-like power delivery and is certainly a lot more torquey (is that a real word?) than previous generation petrol engines that I have driven.