Yep, brakes work fine...

Gaz

And thanks very much for mystery shopping my brake function:

First thing I've uploaded to YT.

Someone's just done the same thing in a Megane. Must've inadvertently left the cloaking device on!

Gaz

Happens alot to me too, usually try and stop an inch or two from them with my horn going, thought one lass was going to feint once but i bet she has been more careful since lol

to be fair, you did straddle two lanes, which could have confused the Golf driver into thinking you were going right on the roundabout and failed to move to the left lane once you overtook the black car on the dual carriageway :)

I see that the Dark Scenic (or whatever) was either already in the inside of the circle and in the wrong lane for peeling off left, (strange arrow marking there) or if behind you, did not bother to brake and wait behind you till you or the Golf moves, (does have a indicator on tho)

goes past you and off around and exits from the wrong lane.

george

Edited by sk4gw

Isn't it interesting what people see.

It's a two-lane entry, two lane exit roundabout. I was going straight across, nearside lane to nearside lane. It's a roundabout I cross twice a day, at least five days a week.

I was not indicating prematurely for the first left exit that I passed as that was not something I was going to do.

I certainly did cross the inner line lane markers, didn't I. I'm not sure how much of this is my error (which I hold my hand up to) or how much of it is moving wide of the silver Golf that wasn't showing signs of stopping at the give way markers.

The dark car was stationary in the nearside lane behind me at entry, but swung out right, around me as I slowed for the Golf, which I think is why the Golf driver did a double take after waving a 'sorry' to me.

I didn't move over to the nearside lane at the end of the clip because about five seconds after the clip ends, I'm turning right (third exit) at the next roundabout, so would have been in the wrong lane.

Gaz

At a roundabout, junction etc always wait for the car to be turning off etc as I've done it before, windows down in summer and not herd indicator on.

if ya going straight across ya don't need to indicate. Gonna purchase one of these cameras for sure.

Sent from my GT-N7000

If you're going straight ahead, you don't indicate on the approach to the roundabout (you certainly DO NOT indicate right, take note ****wits), but you should still indicate left as you come towards your turn off ;)

• Like 1

Depends on the size of the roundabout :D

But pretty much indicate every time as hate ppl not doing it when I'm waiting to pull put.

Was looking at the cameras on Ebay last night. Will cheapo ones do or shud I just get the app and have me note videoing my every move?

Sent from my GT-N7000

Problem with using your tablet would be mounting it somewhere IMO. The Fabia dash isn't flat enough. Plus, if it's like other Android devices, the battery life will be shocking and most car chargers won't keep it topped up as they only put out 0.5amps by default, charging it from the mains would be 1amp. Better off with a proper camera that mounts behind the rear view mirror or something, totally unobtrusive, easily powered by the 12v feed for the interior lights (I would imagine).

The old V6 TDi picks-up well, you aren't slow off the mark, both onto the roundabout and after the Golf moves out of the way!

Whilst there is nothing wrong with your speed you have to be extra vigilant for other drivers who aren't expecting or aren't as able to read your speed as well as they should - which I'm guessing you were as you managed to stop.

I noticed you eased off the brakes just before you stopped to ensure you rolled up as close as possible to the Golf :giggle:

Unless you were incorrectly indicating left the Golf was in the wrong. The Golf stopping didn't help the situation either, once you've commited - go, go go!

Is that except than when you are going to get T boned if you cant get a move on,

and even if you do the Dark One in the Inside of the circle might tag you?

I am sure that if the Golf had a camera, the view is of the OPs vehicle wondering to the right to go around the circle.

Music was doing my head in watching, no idea what its like in the car, no matter, except when you cant hear Emergency Vehicles coming from any direction.

Like when it might have to if someone T bones a car merging or making a mistake, (lack of concentration)

& does not reduce speed,

because they are not really paying attention ahead of them or looking for dozy drivers merging, or as called n New test 'Perception'.

george

Edited by sk4gw

What about songs with sirens in, or sounds that are like emergency vehicles. Many a time I've had windows down and radio on quietly and **** myself looking for an emergency vehicle.

Tbh I cross lanes on a roundabout such as the video and indicate to pull off, but is it not the person approaching the roundabout to stop or judge where the car already entered the roundabout?

People pull out on me all the time, I'm in a bright yellow car with xenons on most of the time.

Yes this brick of a phone wud run down big time. Gonna have to get one to sit behind tear view for sure.

Sent from my GT-N7000

About DVR's my advice would be don't buy cheap. This one's a £20 eBay. It has an irritating whine when charging. The picture quality isn't great (but probably commensurate with price) and the fisheye effect on the lens bends lampposts and does affect distance perception. I'm saving up for a Blackvue DR 400.

Self doubt now firmly in place, I've just gone and had a look see. There's n'owt wrong with the lines on the roundabout. My usual trajectory is to follow the lane, so I am in the wrong on that front. I wouldn't have been turning right from the nearside lane, nor indicating so.

The music isn't actually loud - it's a quiet car inside. Yes, it does pick up quite well.

Do I need to do an advanced driving course? Quite possibly. I've been driving 31 years, so have no doubt picked up some bad habits along the way. I'm ex Fire Brigade, and not operational, nor formally trained in driving techniques, but you do pick thing up (mostly defensive).

I probably crossed the line (not to excuse doing it) as a knee jerk avoidance for the Golf who hadn't given way, nor then made progress out of the way of traffic. Something to pay attention to for the future.

Gaz

• Like 2

Is that except than when you are going to get T boned if you cant get a move on,

and even if you do the Dark One in the Inside of the circle might tag you?

I am sure that if the Golf had a camera, the view is of the OPs vehicle wondering to the right to go around the circle.

The Golf was continuing straight ahead so even if the OP had been intending to turn right on the roundabout the Golf still should have given way.

Right of way is to the traffic already on the roundabout.

Watch the video again, if the Golf hadn't slowed (or stopped!) then it would have been well clear of the junction long before the OP arrived.

This was indecisiveness on the part of the Golf, once the decision was made to enter onto the roundabout then they have commited. In this case stopping was the worst thing they could have done.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 3

Correct,

& She was wrong,

having made a slight mistake, no need for a calm driver in the right getting caught up, turning it from a drama into a crisis.

Last time i made a stupid mistake in a Roundabout i did not know, & i was not switched on (like i was the Silver Golf)

the other Driver,

made such a hulaboo & shouted and tooted & blocked me and would not move,to go around me, the whole circle became blocked.

we all can make a mistake.

george

But then again perhaps the golf also wasn't probably expecting an F1 style launch from the op either

They don't teach 0-60 times and vehicle recognition on Advanced Driving Courses then? :giggle:

OP was hardly brimming it. Then again speed is relative, and the Golf was relatively slow both in speed and reaction time....

While it might be a V6, it's also a barge, diesel and dragging an autobox along to boot. F1 car it most certainly ain't and it's almost lethargic off the line (but picks up okay mid-range).

I don't know if it's the way the V6 is coupled to an auto, but the note from the engine makes it sound like it's doing a lot more than it actually is.

Gaz

Lol, some peoples takes on the short video are interesting. The roundabout was plenty big enough, with no trees or bushes to hinder the view that the Golf had plenty of time to judge the speed of the OP and react accordingly. (not that it was a particularly quick pull off anyway). Not only that, if she had put her foot down she`d have got out the way in plenty of time but stopping right in the way was just a ridiculous idea.

I can accept some make mistakes, pulling out a bit late as she did, but why stop?! What does that achieve? Its like the people who pull out into an outside lane of a duel carriageway the pulling back across as your trying to avoid them at 70mph. Crazy.

• Like 1