Urgent - Someones bashed the Monte Carlo - (update-post #29)

Someone has bashed the wifes 3 month old Monte Carlo whilst it was parked.

Its taken a chunk of the bumper, a bit of the petrol cap (and surrounding area - brushing the taillights as well), and the black wheel arch trim.

The person who did it left a note and has stated they don't want to go through insurance (we have their number plate and a picture of their car).

Never been involved in an accident before so some of these queries are stupid. But we don't want the hassle of faffing getting a quote, and dealing with trying to get the cash from the other person (who then, no doubt wont want to pay etc). So few simple questions:

1) Can we go via. our insurance, without getting their insurance involved (so our insurance just chases them for costs)

2) Do you think its right we report it - we see it as 'covering ourselves' - should they refuse to pay (or be a bit arsey etc)

3) We won't have to pay any excess will we? (as no fault)

4) Missus has just achieved 4 years and has no claims - will it have any impact on premiums or be classed as a claim (even though it was no fault and she wasn't even in the car)

5) We'll be wanting a courtesy / hire car as wife cannot be without hers, so this seems like another reason to go via. insurance if we'll be without a car for a day.

6) We want everything to be as new - their mates suggestion of 't-cut' will fix it isn't an avenue we want to experiment with (especially as we aren't at fault!)

Any quick advice welcome - its only just happened so got a short amount of time before we need to act!

Thanks in advance :) - questions welcome

2) Sounds like an expensive repair anyway

3) No

4) Premium will rise regardless of fault if you notify your insurers, and it will regardless of if you claim or not. Also you'll start getting calls and letters from accident management companies.

5) Some repair shops will provide a courtesy car whilst yours is being fixed regardless of insurance or not.

if you do decide to let them pay with out going through insurance the below might interest you.

when i had my oct vrs it got bumped, some idiot reversed into it in car park at work with a huge 4x4.

The guy offered to pay with out going through insurance company, the only thing i was worried about was collecting money off him or him not paying.

I took my car straight to a good body shop i trust and they arranged to collect payment before work was carried out direct from the 3rd party.

The whole experiance was over in 3 days and I had my repaired car back.

If it had gone through the insurance i would have had to pay my excess and wait for it back.

Edited by dirty hari

If it had gone through the insurance i would have had to pay my excess and wait for it back.

did you mean 'more premium' as opposed to excess? :)

Mannyo - thanks, I think we're going down the insurance route - they gave the missus a tough time when she phoned to explain it to them (out of courtesy) so she's more determined not to have to deal with them ever again :)

(apart from when she see's this person every week at a meeting!)

I had sumthing lyk this happen to me, (GUY drcided he lyked the arse end of my car) said he would pay without insurance. But then started to refusing to pay so phoned insurance, they oked repair work and yet to book in due to having to pay excess before they claim it off him.

Someone banged my car at a roundabout no this one. got details and phoned insurance company to tell them. about half an hour later the 3 party came to the door and offered cash so i phoned the insurance company to cancel the repair got the car done he paid job done. But my insurance went up about £15 a year as i reported it. whether i made a claim or not.

You can go through your own insurance if you have comp insurance you will lose out. I would make a claim of the 3rd party get there insurance details they hit you. How many other cars have they hit and not gone through insurance every time this happens they are saving there no claims or they not got any. If it cost a grand are they going to pay.

having done some more thought, we're going to a Skoda garage tomorrow to get an idea of a price for the repairs (explore the option) + courtesy car

will see what happens and take it from there - i like the idea of having dirty hari's experience but only if the financial risk is not too high

we can always report it to the insurer tomorrow then when the missus has got over the shock and upset :)

(she loves her car more than me)

thanks everyone for your response to my rather panicky initial post :)

Dont get stung badly.

While you think about it the other person can be reporting the accident and blaming you.

Call your Insurance company and tell the story & make the claim.

Thats my Opinion from years of fixing damaged cars.

This is an Open Forum.

george

PS Dont end up with 2 Insurance companies putting it down for 'knock for knock'

even when they are going to be paying for both vehicles.

It usually is just both Underwriters covering just their own insured.

Stress every time the car was parked and Un-occupied, if that is what it was.

Do not accept 'knock for knock once its all sorted.

You can claim if you end up out of Pocket,

It was not a Drivers Involved accident in the case of your car.

Edited by sk4gw

Unless it's someone you really trust, I would deffinately go the insurance route. Had someone offer to pay for damage a couple of years ago, not worth the hassle in my opinion. Plus they allways underestimate the cost of repairs and get a shock when they see the quote and think you're taking them for a ride. Hope you get it sorted ok. Given the damage you quote I would'nt be surprized to see the bill will be heading towards 1K.

rear quarter, bumper, light cluster, respraying and no doubt suspension allignment check, i would say nearer £1500

8 years ago front wing only on my octavia coast £450 to repair

march this year the insurance wrote off my roomster as beyound ecomonical repair with an estimate of £3500 for wing, bonnet,bumper, radiator and headlight and that was a 5-10mph shunt

Edited by bluecar1

Go straight though the insurance, inform the police etc. I trusted someone and next thing I knew they blamed me and ended up a 50/50.

Different circumstances but don't believe anyone

Sent from my Galaxy S2 not a Crapple!

Ive had the same happen to me. I informed my insurance company who do the necessary with the other pesons insurance so if they dont pay they can go ahead with the claim. If it all gets squared up without the insurance company then the other party gets their no claims back as they place a marker on the other person untill you inform them they have sorted the claim out. Until the other person admits liability and if it goes through the insurance then you will pay the excess and have to claim it back. And no, you dont have to inform the police the other person has complied with the road traffic act. Its not fail to stop, so many people seem to think you get the police involved.The police only get involved if any offences come to light i.e fail to stop, due care etc or any injury to persons.

did you mean 'more premium' as opposed to excess? :)

Mannyo - thanks, I think we're going down the insurance route - they gave the missus a tough time when she phoned to explain it to them (out of courtesy) so she's more determined not to have to deal with them ever again :)

(apart from when she see's this person every week at a meeting!)

No they wanted my excess first regardless of fault.

Thanks for all your comments - they've been most useful and helpful.

Quick update.

As mentioned last night, we went and got a quick quote from the dealership this morning for the car to be repaired... phoned the 'offender' up and they stated it was more than they expected 'for a few scratches' (I think they expected it just to be T-cut or something!?!) so we have agreed to go via. insurance route, which if i'm honest gives me piece of mind so more than happy with that :)

Fortunately, they think it can all be reparied and sorted so I can sleep easy tonight (dent on rear quarter panel, and repainting, along with repainting of wheel arch trim, rear bumper, new rear light etc)

To use an authorised dealer would have meant we need to find £250 to pay the missus' excess and then claim it all back etc. I'm not sure I want to go down that route :S :(

Probably because they haven't had to get anything officially repaired and drive around in a shed that they habitually smash into other people's cars. Even a respray to a panel would be north of £100 these days, so having your rear 3/4 smashed in, lights affected, up to filler cap...Eeek!

Maybe now it's going through the insurers they'll be more careful.

I was given the option to fix it outwith insurers by a guy my car door blew into in high winds in a car park (Mrs PDI didn't have hold loading the kids in). He was keen to avoid insurance hassle, but as it was a company car had to check with them. Company insisted on full insurance job, third party claims company got involved, bill for the repair (5p sized dent, no scratching) came to about £600 - BMW official repair of course...

As a result, MY insurance was hit (I was the driver, with the vehicle, depsite it being parked) and went up accordingly (Protected No-Claims mean it didn't get silly, but more is more).

That said, I moved house last week and was charged £35 for the priviledge of changing to the new address (just for the new area, no admin fee), for the remaining 5 months of the policy. Stung a bit, as I had to pay out a similar amount on the now sold Pug 106 to move from a quiet leafy area to somewhere near Swindon less than a year ago...moving back to leafy climes has apparently increased the risk of theft! (Unless everyone round here drives like idiots - too soon to tell).

Guest Sib-rs

I got reversed into by a bmw m3 about 3 months back, he agreed to not go through insurance and he'd pay cash, I being a mechanic myself removed the damaged front bumper, wing and headlight, priced the parts up from TPS so everything was genuine

Had a quote from an insurance approved bodyshop across the road from my garage, paint & fit the parts and I will supply them.

Phoned the lad with the M3, told him £800 cash, that night he was round at my house, wanted proof of repair quote..showed him and out came the £800 in cash as requested. Car repaired, no insurance involved, happy days.

Some people you can trust but a majority you can't, take every little bit of detail down about the third parties car, address and even there insurance just incase they do decide to take a plunge and inform their insurer on the sly.

I realise this was the last thing you wanted. But hats off to the honesty of the other driver leaving a note. Most people would just **** off without leaving anything.

I just returned to my car this evening with a ding in the wing and some **** has nicked the valve caps x4. ******s.

I must sort out my turrets. **** ****

But hats off to the honesty of the other driver leaving a note. Most people would just **** off without leaving anything.

trust me - I know exactly what you mean...!

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/109988-wot-no-58-plates/page__st__60#entry1412564

The missus and I must have some '**** magnet' fitted to our cars when we collect them from the dealership - certainly seems to affect peoples abilities to park around us... ;):)

To use an authorised dealer would have meant we need to find £250 to pay the missus' excess and then claim it all back etc. I'm not sure I want to go down that route :S :(

Pay the excess and get it done at an approved garage. An insurance approved bodyshop usually means cheap and nasty. You will get it back very quickly from the insurance and you will probably find you won't need to pay it at all and it is just scaremongering tactics to get you to take it to 'their' bodyshop.

• Like 1

Pay the excess and get it done at an approved garage. An insurance approved bodyshop usually means cheap and nasty. You will get it back very quickly from the insurance and you will probably find you won't need to pay it at all and it is just scaremongering tactics to get you to take it to 'their' bodyshop.

Why do why do some people think main dear body shops are any better than An insurance approved bodyshop,

Why do why do some people think main dear body shops are any better than An insurance approved bodyshop,

I didn't say they were but I've seen the results of certain insurance approved bodyshops. Notice I didn't say main dealer bodyshop either, I said approved bodyshop. If you go to the vw paint and body website you can search for ones near to you. There is an approved body shop near me and have had work rectified from a so called main dealer bodyshop and my car would now go nowhere else.

Not only all that but the fact that you get to keep your 3 year paint and 12year anti corrosion warranty.

To sum up, approved or run the risk of issues years down the line.