Residual values

vegit8

According to the Daily telelarf a recent report issued by Glass's show the Yeti (140 4x4 Elegance) in second spot with a value of 76% of purchase price after 3 years and 37k miles.

Top place was a Toyota Landcruiser (which will cost you an eye watering 54 grand new!!)

4th Place was the Octavia Scout, which retained almost 71% of its original price.

Remember this is based on RRP, so those of us who have managed to get a discount will achieve an even better residual value percentage.

Interestingly the top 5 out of 10 were all 4x4 vehicles!

What does 'residual value' usually mean? Target trade-in value (all other things being equal) or likely commercial resale price? Or somewhere in between, eg private resale price?

Fantastic for current owners.....for wannabees like me ....looking for a good used buy many are more than list.

I know when I do get one it will hold its value...trouble is getting one.

I want a 140 Elegance in white, ideally with Nav...but must be DSG! The wait continues......................

What does 'residual value' usually mean? Target trade-in value (all other things being equal) or likely commercial resale price? Or somewhere in between, eg private resale price?

According to the article, current market value - eg, how much you would have to pay to buy one. Which must be an average of all the models for sale that matches the spec.

Having paid just under £20K for my 4X4 SE in October 09, I got £16,300 for it from a dealer the week before last with 27,000 on the clock. Oh, and I drove away in a 4X4, DSG Elegance that he just happened to have in stock. Of course, I have lived a blameless life :giggle:

Fantastic for current owners.....for wannabees like me ....looking for a good used buy many are more than list.

I know when I do get one it will hold its value...trouble is getting one.

I want a 140 Elegance in white, ideally with Nav...but must be DSG! The wait continues......................

Have you considered leasing a brand new YETI over three years? I get mine on a PCP and pay £515 per month, that is for 42,000 miles per year, includes tyres, servicing and tax disc, after three years get another brand newie!

Your deal could be cheaper as I wouldn't imagine you do as many miles as I do.

Have you considered leasing a brand new YETI over three years? I get mine on a PCP and pay £515 per month, that is for 42,000 miles per year, includes tyres, servicing and tax disc, after three years get another brand newie!

How many?

That is over 3 times the national annual mileage!!

I'd be interested to see the figures on a more "realistic" mileage.

And that still works out at £18,500 in total, so not that cheap.

Why worry about residuals, if you were serious you would jack it up, place on axle stands and use your bike!

Enjoy driving the beast, put up with the residual value, its never going to be what you expect, so just enjoy the driving experience!!

Graham, when you weigh it up for the value of the lease and all servicing, tyres and road tax it is probably a very economical way of getting a car.

As for mileage, my yeti is 1 year old on the 14th August 2012, it has 47,246 miles on it today! So I am already over my lease mileage.....

I assume £200 a month for 12,000 miles per year.

New?

Yes - brand spanking new. The dealer is Grey Gables at Curbridge, although don't expect them to have Yetis in stock - I struck lucky (having lived a blameless life :angel: ).

Yes - brand spanking new. The dealer is Grey Gables at Curbridge, although don't expect them to have Yetis in stock - I struck lucky (having lived a blameless life :angel: ).

For what it's worth I paid £18.5k for my then 3 month-old 140Tdi Elegance in March 2010. I've just traded it at 28,000 miles and got £17k against a new Yeti.

I'm very pleased with the residual.

John

For what it's worth I paid £18.5k for my then 3 month-old 140Tdi Elegance in March 2010. I've just traded it at 28,000 miles and got £17k against a new Yeti.

I'm very pleased with the residual.

John

That's what I call a cracking deal.

Interesting to note that you got an approximate 16% reduction off of retail on a 3 month old Elegance in 2010 (£22k new in 2010 - you paid £18.5k)

- what happened to the "close to retail" used prices on the Yeti for nearly new models at that time?

Edited by Truthseeker

thats not to bad when you consider only fuel to pay for 120k+miles

so 2 x timing bel changes, prob about 5-6 full sets of tyres, no road tax,

does the servicing also include things like disks and pads?,

is there any max number of services, or once you get to 126K, you then have to pay for everything?, as i have 30k of servicing included with my fabia greenline but have 18k/year on my contract, but have managed to get my fabia onto variable service :) which should help with service costs

- what happened to the "close to retail" used prices on the Yeti for nearly new models at that time?

Isn't it just that some dealers were/are more prepared to offer discounts than others, with a few being prepared to offer a deeper discount? So people's experience varies according to how hard you were prepared to haggle and how wide you spread the net across different dealers and brokers.

I got somewhere around a 9% discount on a new 170 in 2010 - could have got 2-3% better in fact from eg DtD as did quite a few others I'm sure - but I chose to go with my local dealer. So a 16% discount on an ex-demo (or whatever it was at 3 months old) doesn't seem out of line for anyone willing to negotiate hard. I dare say the sticker price might just have been say 5% off retail (ie 'close to retail'), but inevitably that's just a starting point for negotiation unless the dealer was one of the hardline anti-discount ones.

After some research, it appears to be based on the top end price for a private sale (with average mileage & excellent condition) - p/ex prices look like 5% less residual - still amazing though.

thats not to bad when you consider only fuel to pay for 120k+miles

so 2 x timing bel changes, prob about 5-6 full sets of tyres, no road tax,

does the servicing also include things like disks and pads?,

is there any max number of services, or once you get to 126K, you then have to pay for everything?, as i have 30k of servicing included with my fabia greenline but have 18k/year on my contract, but have managed to get my fabia onto variable service :) which should help with service costs

Bluecar1, all parts and labour are included, tyres even if damaged are included, all we do on top of the lease is insure and fuel. then after the 126k miles or three years get another car, that gets delivered to your house and man collects the old car and delivers it to the auction for somebody to buy, high mileage and full dealer history.

I would never own a car again.

£515 per month is out of my league as a pensioner! I've never liked PCP as I'm a cash sort of person. But different people have different ideas for different needs and desires.

£515 per month is out of my league as a pensioner! I've never liked PCP as I'm a cash sort of person. But different people have different ideas for different needs and desires.

£515 for a PCP based on lots of miles per year, it is much cheaper if you drive less miles as most people probably do.

That's what I call a cracking deal.

Interesting to note that you got an approximate 16% reduction off of retail on a 3 month old Elegance in 2010 (£22k new in 2010 - you paid £18.5k)

I went in to buy a new 110 SE 4x4 in Feb 2010 which would have had a 3-4 month lead time. Happened to ask about the demonstrator. I think it was "the right place at the right time".

Simpsons in Colne are also a good dealer in my book. I previously had a Roomster from them and we've recently bought a 12 month old Roomster to replace my wife's M-B A Class.

John