SD Card quick help needed!

TimR

Have been putting CDs onto a 16GB SDHC card to play through the Bolero. Each artist has a separate folder and each CD is in a folder within the artists folder. I've put 13GB worth onto the card. Up until now I've had no trouble but now I can't see anything past S on my alphabetical artist list (ie the scroll bar won't go past S) Any ideas where I'm going wrong? Going on holiday soon so desperate for urgent reply please! Cheers, Tim

You have done nothing wrong. For reasons that baffle me, the Bolero can only 'see' a finite number of tracks regardless of size of SD card. I think the exact number is 2000 songs although I'm not certain. I bought a 32gb card when I got my Yeti and was very disappointed I could only use about 10gb of it before it stopped 'seeing' the tracks. I'd no option other than to buy another two 16gb cards for all my music even though at a pinch it would all have fit on a 32gb card. Having three cards instead of one is a bit messy! I hate Skoda for doing this!!

Edited by Horacecoker

Thanks for that, was beginning to think I was going mad as I could still see all the tracks on the card and there is still a good 3GB of free space. It was of course my wife's favourite CDs that the Bolero couldn't see! Have now copied the extra stuff onto another card as a temporary measure and will reorganise things properly when I return. Cheers, Tim

I have more than 2000 tracks on a 32gb card, and under random play the bolero doesn't seem to experience probs finding all loaded on the card - can't swear to it though - i loaded just the tracks, not the album folders!

I prefer a mix of music types, so replay is like pandora's box

Not sure about the OP issue but as far as playing random tracks from within album folders, it can be done.

You need to put just one track in the root directory along with all your tracks in album folders.

if you want random playing start that track playing then hit 'mix'

If you start with any track within an album folder it appears Mix will only play tracks from that folder in random order.

Take your point, but i just put the card in with my card system and call up card and away it goes, it always plays and mixes!

Ok i accept its not possible to play say a complete album, not a prob for me!

All of my music is on a playlist on Windows Media Player, I simply copied most of this to a 32 Gb card, it was not big enough for all of it, and this plays randomly without any problems, so long as I hit "mix" during the first track as already mentioned. Using any of the other buttons(except forward or reverse) stops random play and the card then has to be taken out, re inserted and the mix button re touched-so I don't hit any other buttons unless I forget.

I do the same as Tony..............................

mainly because I don't understand a word of what CFB is saying! :giggle:

so you think i actually know?

just make it up as i go along.

if it sounds convincing, all the better :giggle:

I found it strange that Frenchtone and Octman state that they have no problem in getting the Bolero to recognise and play more than 2000 tracks until I had given it a modicum of thought and realised that these good people are mistaken in their beliefs. What is happening here is that by playing the tracks randomly they do not realise that the Bolero is only selecting the tracks from a list of 2000 regardless of how many are on the SD card. I can understand this because 2000 tracks is an awful lot of music (as Skoda Driver quite rightly says) and you wouldn’t necessarily realise that the unit wasn’t playing certain tracks if you only set it to random play. Let’s say you have put 4000 tracks on a 32gb SD card, it is only when you actually choose what you want to play that you’d find that half the tracks don’t exist on the Bolero!

To prove this theory one way or the other would it be possible for Frenchtone or Octman to do a little experiment. Shove the SD card in your computer and have a look down the list of tracks to the end and note what the last track is. (They must be in some kind of alphabetical or numeric order.) Now put the SD card in the Bolero and scroll down to the last track. I think you will find if you have more than 2000 tracks on the card it won’t be the same song at the end of the list.

In answer to Skoda Driver’s comment. Of course nobody needs this amount of music for any car journey. The point is that the fantastic convenience of having ALL my music on one tiny SD card so I can choose exactly what I want to play without ever taking the card out of the slot is totally ruined by this mindless 2000 track limit!! Also finding individual tracks on the Bolero in structured folders eg artists - albums, is very, very easy!

Edited by Horacecoker

I use a 4GB SD card that has more than enough space for current favorite music, no idea how many tracks, and I simply switch albums around every 3 - 4 weeks according to my mood and whatever new music I have come across.

Sent from my Xperia S

Ok, have tried the card on the menu of the Bolero, indeed it does not read all the tracks, pc lists 38.., but explain this, why if its limited to 2000 tracks does it find and play tracks later in the list?

As far as I can see its possible to call up tracks to no 2000 then after no go, but the machine finds and plays em!!

Obviously, I cannot remember all the tracks, I just want variety without having to choose, my system works on those lines, i'm a happy bunny comme ca!

I use a 4GB SD card that has more than enough space for current favorite music, no idea how many tracks, and I simply switch albums around every 3 - 4 weeks according to my mood and whatever new music I have come across.

Sent from my Xperia S

Me too.

• 4 weeks later...

Just reinstalled the card in the Bolero, strangely on this occaision started playing tracks from a different location on the card ie not the first track etc - how does it remember?, onboard computer memory, or does it 'mark' the card?