Anyone Thinking Of Signing Up To Virgin Media

Tas

If anyone is thinking of taking on VM let me know. I've started working for them now I've left BT and we ge a deal where we text in our employee number and a contact name and number and they ring u with the best offer. Got to be a brand new customer or a customer that's been cancelled for our 6 months

If anyone is thinking of taking on VM let me know. I've started working for them now I've left BT and we ge a deal where we text in our employee number and a contact name and number and they ring u with the best offer. Got to be a brand new customer or a customer that's been cancelled for our 6 months

I'm sorry but VM is the worst ISP I have ever had.

[rant]

'Fault on the line' for 5 Months....

Then after the 'Fault' was fixed was apparently my laptop with a virus causing the issues. (Tested with a brand new laptop also whilst on phone to support - Same result).

Really handy whilst doing a University Final Year Project.

Oh and the final most stupid point in life. Maybe you can point this out to the powers that be....

The router had to be returned. Failure to return results in a £40 fine, fairplay. In returning the router... You have to send it off in a blue bag. If the router was returned damaged then that was fine.... ?! A bag... Really?

Then again the standard once you leave.... They request your new address and SPAM you 24/7 with Virgin Letters, Phonecalls and Emails. Cheers then!

[/rant]

• Like 1

I must get 1 leaflet/flyer a week from them regarding their superior services - you think they'd check what they can offer before sending out the flyers. I can't any of it - really annoying.

Sorry, I'm with Virgin

And there's no danger of her honour being compromised with you around is there.

On a serious note if you ring them up and say look I've been with you several years but am I'm fed up of all these ads offering cheap deals to new customers they'll bump up your package for free, I currently get a £20/month "loyalty discount".

To redress the balance, I'm a VERY happy & contented VM customer and have 2 Tivo boxes that never skip a beat :p

Great service I have rec'd. I only had 1 complaint in 4 years and that was resolver quickly and to my satisfaction.

I have found the call-centre staff very helpful & polite, sometimes the staff in the centre in India don't quite understand what I'm asking them but I can live with that :)

I would quite happily recommend VM to family & friends. :yes:

Well done Tas on your new position.

I'm about to curse it but my broadband has been faultless. Cost is an issue though. Still living at home so parents decided to drop the TV package and it was costing about £50 a month. It dropped significantly but now has crept up to £35. It's a shame you have to have broadband with a phone otherwise we'd get rid of the phone too

There is nothing Virgin could ever do to convince me to endure their product ever again. A side from the most awful, disrespectable shocking support that money can't pay for, the way in which they treat their customers is a prime example of how not to run a customer focused company.

http://www.cableforu...connection.html

Read it, there were several dozen adsl orders installations and cancellation of VM before they fully resolved the problem.

Good luck, you will need it.

Edited by Kevsta

I'm sorry but VM is the worst ISP I have ever had.

[rant]

'Fault on the line' for 5 Months....

Then after the 'Fault' was fixed was apparently my laptop with a virus causing the issues. (Tested with a brand new laptop also whilst on phone to support - Same result).

Really handy whilst doing a University Final Year Project.

Oh and the final most stupid point in life. Maybe you can point this out to the powers that be....

The router had to be returned. Failure to return results in a £40 fine, fairplay. In returning the router... You have to send it off in a blue bag. If the router was returned damaged then that was fine.... ?! A bag... Really?

Then again the standard once you leave.... They request your new address and SPAM you 24/7 with Virgin Letters, Phonecalls and Emails. Cheers then!

[/rant]

Sounds like you had a bad problem matey, the reason you had to send it off is because it's virgins property you don't own that. You just rent the equipment. Were as sky you pay to own that. But if that goes faulty it costs u. Where's as VM just swap it.

i want it but it aint out my way

I'm in the same boat mate and I'd get the best pack available for just over £10

I'm about to curse it but my broadband has been faultless. Cost is an issue though. Still living at home so parents decided to drop the TV package and it was costing about £50 a month. It dropped significantly but now has crept up to £35. It's a shame you have to have broadband with a phone otherwise we'd get rid of the phone too

Quick inside tip, it's actually cheaper to have a phone line and BB as apposed to just having BB

I must get 1 leaflet/flyer a week from them regarding their superior services - you think they'd check what they can offer before sending out the flyers. I can't any of it - really annoying.

We get this too, except we already get our TV, Phone and Broadband from Virgin (and have for three years). So they don't even check whether an address already has their services before sending out their 'Dear Homeowner' junk.

It's funny that you always get mixed reviews about everything.

In contrast to the bad reviews here I have had a positive experience.

Been with them for a couple of years after shocking service from BT. Luckily our new house didn't physically have a BT line and no way were we paying BT £150 for the pleasure of having one installed.

There were, however, old cable and wireless boxes. Virgin activated our house and sent the equipment. Within a few days we were up and running. Only one fault in the whole time. Engineer was out within the hour and replaced something in the green box and was sorted within 30 mins.

Going to ring them soon and get a speed increase and we still only on 10mb.

Phil

Regarding broadband, I've been with Virgin/NTL/Cable&Wireless for around 15 years at various addresses and I always maintain that I've never had a single issue with the actual service. I would never consider any other provider that doesn't have a coax cable coming into the house. And I always recommend Virgin to anyone who's considering broadband (and Sky to anyone who wants TV).

That said, I've never had a single positive experience in 15 years with their customer service department. When things are going right everything is ideal, when things go wrong it's a massive headache. Made worse currently as our account is in my partner's name so they won't talk to me about anything without having her confirm it's ok first.

Luckily for me the broadband has never had an issue. Problems have always been with the TV or Phone for us. Including when they swapped our phone number for a neighbours' for a week and started billing us for their usage and sending each of our calls to the others' house.

Been with them for a couple of years after shocking service from BT. Luckily our new house didn't physically have a BT line and no way were we paying BT £150 for the pleasure of having one installed.

There were, however, old cable and wireless boxes. Virgin activated our house and sent the equipment. Within a few days we were up and running. Only one fault in the whole time. Engineer was out within the hour and replaced something in the green box and was sorted within 30 mins.

Going to ring them soon and get a speed increase and we still only on 10mb.

Phil

You will be getting a new super hub then :)

Good luck with the new job!

We're with them and very pleased, except the routers! We had the terrible netgear non-superhub things first and they were truly shocking! The wireless on them never worked properly, but the wired was fine. In the end I rigged up an old (maybe 7 years old?) Linksys ADSL router in switching mode connected to the netgear router/modem and used that to provide the wireless as each Netgear one they sent had the same problems. The superhub is fine though.

As for the service, I can't complain! Started at 10mb, then they doubled it to 20mb, then for a one of fee (which I think was waived following some confusion) they gave us 30mb instead. :)

2110123402.png

Wouldn't mind some more upload mind you! If only it wasn't asynchronous!

Not too shabby given price hasn't changed since we took out the 10mb service.

Edited by TriggerFish

TriggerFish, that's an AWFUL result. :(

Your ping should be MUCH lower, and your upload speed is VERY slow, as is your upload speed.

I would have words with your ISP.

To be fair BT do the same with spamming. I put in my address on their broadband checker, and now I get a BT Broadband letter every week. Doesn't help that their service is 8mb/s max, and Sky, who I'm with, is also unlimited and 20mb/s - plus as my exchange is just across the road I get the full speed. Plus at the time Sky had some sort of offer on, think it was either £20 or £40 for a new line installation - BT wanted quite a bit more.

Virgin is not in my area.

Only the lamest tech support ever would blame a fault on a virus.

Edited by anewman

Tivo box is good but My wireless router is constantly losing connection.

Meaning I have to be physically plugged in to it. Our house is a fair size

but it's not Buckingham Palace.

Previously we were on BT and switched to save a bit of money.

Got to say, our BT wireless never went wrong once. So we are paying less for less.

I think we'll switch back if they can't get their act together.

Nice to 'see' you again Tas :thumbup:

Tivo box is good but My wireless router is constantly losing connection.

Meaning I have to be physically plugged in to it. Our house is a fair size

but it's not Buckingham Palace.

Previously we were on BT and switched to save a bit of money.

Got to say, our BT wireless never went wrong once. So we are paying less for less.

I think we'll switch back if they can't get their act together.

If the wireless connection itself is the problem, you should be able to either:

a ) use an app like http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ Go into the configuration settings of the router and keep changing the channel until you get the highest level, and keep that channel. There's a chance that alone could fix any issues.

b ) add a wireless repeater.

c ) Turn off the wifi bit of the router and plug your own wireless router in.

It's not just spamming, but unwanted junk mail delivered by RM.Stacks of it , addressed to the householder. I've got a tactic- send it back. Don't stop the mail, but makes you feel better knowing that ONE day RM MIGHT GET THE MESSAGE and charge these mail spamers for returning their junk.