Problems after injectors fitted on recall!

Hi there, :happy:

Although this is my first post I have been viewing the site since I bought my car 2 years ago and I suppose its a good sign I havnt felt the need to register as I`ve had no problems with my 58 Octavia VRS TDI....... that is unitl it had the injectors fitted on the recall about 6 weeks ago.

I fist noticed it was a bit lumpy on partial throttle and the DPF light has come on twice since the replacement injectors, this is strange as its only come on about 3 times in the 2 years we`ve owned it. I did a quick search on this site last nite and found lots of related threads so this morning went to investigate my own car looking for tell tale signs..........

I found the following:

1. High oil level which was not high before as i did a service about 2 months ago and all levels were spot on.

2. Opened up the fuel filter tank and there are tiny droplets of oil on the surface of the filter, the filter is also black but not sure if this would be normal from just filtering fuel?

I know there are a few threads on this which I have read but wanted some advice about best way to resolve the issue and get my car back to how it was before recall parts fitted and get any damaged parts replaced.

Thanks in advance folks.

Firstly, welcome to Briskoda Steve!

I'm afraid you are in for a tough time, despite there being several of us that have experienced the exact same faults as you immediately after the injector change Skoda UK tell everyone who contacts them that they've not had any other complaints.

The dealer hasn't fitted the injectors properly and diesel is leaking past the seals. This unburnt fuel ends up in the sump (rising oil level and dirty fuel filter) and the exhaust system (oil mixes with the ash in the DPF which turns into a nice sticky sludge which basically ruins it and prevents it from clearing properly).

The diluted engine oil also ruined the turbo on my car, I dread to think what it has done to the engine internals. It also now doesn't start very well either.

It needs fixing ASAP. Ring Skoda UK (08457 745745, option 4) and ask them to open a case. They'll then tell you to return it to the dealer. They then liaise with the dealer directly.

Tell Skoda you are aware of several others who have experienced the same symptoms, see what they say!

Good luck!

Edited by silver1011

At minimum you'll need them to remove and re-seat the injectors. They then need to change the contaminated oil and oil filter.

No need to flush the engine. The diesel in the oil will have already done that for you!

Depending on when the fuel filter was last changed it might be OK, however if its black it should probably be changed anyway. They aren't a lot of money.

My turbo started whistling about two weeks / 1,500 miles after the injectors were replaced. I never noticed the high oil level, the dealer told me about it when they condemened the turbo.

I was one of the first to experience issues late last year so I had no amunition (such as other members on here that were soon to share my pain) to use to strengthen my argument that all of the subsequent issues I was having were directly related to their botched injector change.

Skoda won't replace your turbo if it can't be proven that it's been damaged, which is of course will be their diagnosis. Who can argue?

They won't replace your DPF either as its far too easy for them to blame your driving style for the repeated DPF light. Again how can you prove them wrong unless you able to remove it and open it up infront of them!?

I'd dig out the many injector threads on here and show these to Skoda to prove to them that this isn't an 'isolated case' (their favourite phrase).

Again good luck, please do keep us updated as to your progress.

Edited by silver1011

two things i dont get is, the op's car is a 58 plate and says he had injectors done, i was told it was the pd engines that get them. the thing is mine is a 08 plate and has a cr engine, so mine is older and fitted with the newer engine. 2nd thing is how do you get oil in the fuel filter??. can someone put me in the right direction lol.

the mk1 's were still being made for certain countrys as i was told, they did not like the mk2's. and the price for the mk2's was to high. You can also only hold a car for so long and then you have to register it (6 months i think) thats why you were seing taxis upto 09 plates on as the car was still being built.

Firstly, welcome to Briskoda Steve!

I'm afraid you are in for a tough time, despite there being several of us that have experienced the exact same faults as you immediately after the injector change Skoda UK tell everyone who contacts them that they've not had any other complaints.

The dealer hasn't fitted the injectors properly and diesel is leaking past the seals. This unburnt fuel ends up in the sump (rising oil level and dirty fuel filter) and the exhaust system (oil mixes with the ash in the DPF which turns into a nice sticky sludge which basically ruins it and prevents it from clearing properly).

The diluted engine oil also ruined the turbo on my car, I dread to think what it has done to the engine internals. It also now doesn't start very well either.

It needs fixing ASAP. Ring Skoda UK (08457 745745, option 4) and ask them to open a case. They'll then tell you to return it to the dealer. They then liaise with the dealer directly.

Tell Skoda you are aware of several others who have experienced the same symptoms, see what they say!

Good luck!

WOW, you really know how to cheer someone up.

Only Kidding Silver, good description of what might have happened

the mk1 's were still being made for certain countrys as i was told, they did not like the mk2's. and the price for the mk2's was to high. You can also only hold a car for so long and then you have to register it (6 months i think) thats why you were seing taxis upto 09 plates on as the car was still being built.

Don't think the last bit about how long you can hold a car before registration is right. During the Vectra B era,on the prefacelift they did a run of Supertourings (most registered on P and R) but one was held by a dealer for a long time (for whatever reason)and not registered until 2001 and an X reg. When it came to light on the forums alot of people were saying it wasn't a real ST because of it being 3 years past the ST run and 2 years into the Facelift but it was genuine.

There is a law in the build/reg date but i dont know what it is without asking a friend in the trade. You are spot on about the vectra, i remeber him telling me about it when he worked for vauxhall. from time to time cars do slip through the net though

Also, sorry for being off-topic, but on the subject of late registrations, there are a handful of mk2 golfs on K and even L plates. There was / is a Mk2 Golf G60 Ltd on a K - doesn't get much rarer.

WOW, you really know how to cheer someone up.

Only Kidding Silver, good description of what might have happened

Sorry if my post was a tad negative, as I've been through the whole debacle myself I wanted the OP to see a 'worst case scenario' in the hope he could be more informed when he takes his car back in and doesn't get the brush off like I did.

I did mention in post #5 that it may just need the injectors re-seating and fresh oil - fingers crossed this is all it takes!

The car has gone to Skoda and is getting looked at tomorrow so I await there reponse with baited breath! I also went to see and old friend of mine who works at Audi to get his proffesional opinion and some verbal ammo for Skoda, he also told me he`s now `MASTER TECH` at Audi so his word should have some weight to it. As silver1011 said he also said that there have been MANY cars with the same engine across the VAG range all havig issues after recall injectors fitted and it is 99% down to the mechanic not fitting them properly as a special tool is required but some just smack them in, hence causing a broken seal. this can also damage the quartz part of the injector apparently. He stated that the juddering is the car in `passive regeneration` and is trying to clean. He also stated that these engines do allow for fuel to be mixed with the oil through a valve, totally forgotten its name as he was getting very technical, and a problem with this valve can also cause these issues. Apparentl;y Audi`s allow up to 11% fuel in oil mix.

He also stated that the DPF is only any good when its removed from the car!

I`ve also opened a case with Skoda customer service about the problem and told them everything and also that my driving hasnt changed and is alot of motorway so the fault is solely due to the recall work.

Fingers crossed but I`m ready for them trying to wriggle out of it......................................

Nice one Steve, I'm sure the dealer won't admit to making a mistake (mind didn't) but as long as you get another four new injectors fitted correctly then you'll be good.

I think I'd still be insisting on fresh oil but its certainly a useful bit of information you've found on the fuel mixing with the oil.

BAD NEWS...............Skoda UK and D.M. KEITH Huddersfield are claiming that the injectors are fine and not the cause of any of the issues! They claim its a pump that is possibly the cause but cant say for definate! This pump is £650 fitted but they cant guarentee this will sort the problem!!!!!!!

My contact was Charlotte at Skoda UK and has no idea of customer services as when I asked if they would re fit the injectors with new seals for peace of mind and rule out this possibly causing the problems she said they wont as the injectors are working, i said its the seals that are likely at fault not the injectors to which she stated a sensor would pick up the leak........a sensor on a copper seal????????? I dont think so!

Basically waisted 3 days and car is still same state as it was. Any one advise on how they`ve progressed with this same issue?

Oh and she specifically asked if I`d been on BRISKODA getting wrong info! LOL!!!!! she was clueless about anything technical.

• Like 1

i said its the seals that are likely at fault not the injectors to which she stated a sensor would pick up the leak........a sensor on a copper seal????????? I dont think so!

Quite. God bless 'em.

Hmmm, here are my symptoms that all occured within a few weeks of the injector change...

Stalling

Poor cold starting

Rising oil level

Failed turbo

Lumpy tickover

Rough running

DPF light

EML light

Reduced MPG

My local dealer (DM Keith in York) had the car 23 days in total.

Coincidence?

I'll never know.

Edited by silver1011

Why don't you book the car into another dealer (Rainworths in Mansfield springs to mind) for the rising oil level, lumpy running, frequent DPF light and pay for the diagnostic work.

A decent MasterTech might diagnose a leaking injector seal ..........

You might then have a case.

I did, Pulmans in Durham.

I'll never know what they did (although they were liaising directly with 'Skoda Technical Support') but they were sending 'readings' from my car to the Czech Republic online and receiving guidance on what to check etc.

- The car no longer stalls

- It still struggles to start

- The oil level has stabilized

- The turbo was replaced

- Lumpy tickover is less frequent but still more common than before the injector change

- Rough running is less frequent but still more common than before the injector change

- I've seen the DPF light three times since the injector change but not in the last month. Lumpy tickover and rough running is during the now more frequent DPF regens.

- EML light cured by replacing the 'Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor'

- Averaged 55 MPG before the injector change, now averaging 48 MPG.

I also recommend trying a different dealer, being in Huddersfield makes Rainworth an ideal choice...

• 3 weeks later...