16" Wheels: Is there a 'Next Step'?

Brijo

Or 33% of the actual sample! Care to elaborate on your motor trade experience so we can judge its relevance?

Exactly! How do we know that the "other 8970ish" owners have not ordered/requested 16" wheels. Just because they are not members on this forum does not mean that they do not exist, and we should therefore not assume they have not made such a request.

However, I do agree with Llanigraham, that the majority do not care and have whatever wheels the car comes with as standard. If anything, customers would upgrade to a larger wheel/lower profile tyre just for the looks alone.

I was with a client yesterday, and like most I have interviewed, their car was standard. He didn't even know what level of trim it had, other than it was a nice car (Honda Civic?) with leather interior. :lol: and he has had it from new.....

Edited by rockhopper

Exactly.

That unfortunately is very common.

A recent example of how little owners know of their cars came to light at the recent Isle of White Festival. 4x4 Response were mobilised to do the recovery of over a thousands cars out of the mire. Their estimate after the event was that over 75% of owners did not know where their towing points were or where the screw-in eye was kept and where it fitted. Now to me that is important even if I never need it.

Perhaps i should ask the regulars on here whether they know?

Exactly.

A recent example of how little owners know of their cars came to light at the recent Isle of White Festival. 4x4 Response were mobilised to do the recovery of over a thousands cars out of the mire. Their estimate after the event was that over 75% of owners did not know where their towing points were or where the screw-in eye was kept and where it fitted. Now to me that is important even if I never need it.

Isle of WIGHT actually, to be pedantic! :rock:

Exactly.

Yes, my colleagues in Surrey 4x4 Response reported that issue. I didn't go and help, my 'toy' is not so suitable for towing 7.5 tonnes trucks out of the mud like they did. They had to use snow chains as the mud was that bad.

Exactly.

Towing eye (removable screw in type) is in the recessed tool kit in the boot and can be located either at the front by removing the small round panel below the offside fog light, or at the rear by removing a small square'ish panel, again offside, just above the silver 'skid plate'.

Do I pass :yes:

TP

Towing eye (removable screw in type) is in the recessed tool kit in the boot and can be located either at the front by removing the small round panel below the offside fog light, or at the rear by removing a small square'ish panel, again offside, just above the silver 'skid plate'.

TP

Depends whether or not you're on the periffary.

TP

Of course! I would have been shocked if you didn't know, Tim.

Having owned one Yeti with 17" alloys, I found them too wide for the mudflaps. On country roads they throw up grit and stones showering the front and rear doors. (adding the foils helped but didn't cure). When ordering a replacement Yeti I asked for 16" rims but was told they were not an option. I test drove a greenline with them fitted as standard and found no real difference in day to day driving (215/60/16 as opposed to 225/50/17). This time I intend to cover doors in 3m clear plastic below the rubbing strips. So come on SUK waken up, would probably reduce CO emmissions too.

Perhaps more importantly at this stage, are there any members or even lurkers who would be considering ordering a 16" wheel option if it was easier to arrange?

I have been reading the 16" v 17" wheel options with interest. I am hoping to be in a postion to purchase a new car later this year.

I currently have a Roomster 3 (07), which had 17" wheels with low profile tyres as standard. As this was my first purchase of a brand new car, whilst I did add extra options to the build, I hadn't considered that it might have been possible to look at the wheel options that were available as standard on different trims. And I certainly hadn't realised that different options may be offered as standard in other countries. I have found that with my tyre size there is definitely a more limited choice available, much less so than with some other tyre sizes.

For me, the 16" v 17" wheel discussions have certainly opened my eyes. And if I were to choose the Yeti, I would certainly prefer the option of the 16" wheels over the 17" ones, as a more comfortable ride would be important to me. Whichever Skoda I finally decide on, I will definitely be looking at the wheel options available across all trim levels, and if necessary would try persuing a wheel change for a more comfortable ride.

Edited by sez

I know it's not a straight comparison, but I have 17s on my Yeti with normal tyres, and 16s for winter tyres. When the 16s first went on the car did feel "boingier" over speedbumps (loads on the roads leading to mine) and the handling did feel a little less sharp. When I went back to the 17s the car did feel a bit firmer, and I thought I could feel moore of the knocks and such from manhole covers and potholes. The cornering did feel a touch sharper too.

That said I found both perfectly acceptable - slight preference for the 17s, I suppose. I can see why some people prefer 16s, both for the slightly softer ride and (IIRC) the wider choice and lower cost of tyres. I'd have thought the dealers would be quite keen on a "free upgrade" to 16s as it'd leave them a set of 17s to sell to another customer.

On a related note I did find it amusing that on the CX5 you have to pay over £700 to "upgrade" from 19s to 17s on the higher spec. Yup - more money for smaller wheels.

Although I'm not personally overly concerned about this I do think SUK's stance is extremely odd. Low profile tyres and the associated bigger wheels were originally developed for very high performance/competition use. It's true that the low profile tyre wall will flex less under cornering loads which helps to maintain grips, although I doubt that you could reasonably drive a Yeti on public roads close enough to the handling limits to notice this. The other, and probably more important reason, is that the larger wheel allows for a larger brake disc and thus more stopping power. However, Skoda don't fit bigger brakes! I have to conclude it's a marketing gimmick, albeit one which could yet backfire on them.

• 7 months later...

I requested 16" wheels when I ordered my Yeti from Allams but was told after James had inquired of Skoda UK that I couldn't have them. This was before The Plumber got his. I accepted the dealer's advice instead of pushing the case. Perhaps that was an error.

I have 16" steel wheels for winter tyres, and find that combination more comfortable than the 17" alloys provided as standard.

It would have been nice to have the choice, and the extra comfort it brings.

Fred

• Like 1

^^ Hi Fred. Interesting pre-quel to the 16" saga. I don't see how it could have been an error; even TP might agree that you might actually have had some influence on SUK's attitude. Thanks for posting.

I wonder how many of you know how to screw in the towing eye?

Did you know it was opposite thread? If not you will be forever trying and getting nowhere.

Sorry Bob, another pint may help.

I wonder how many of you know how to screw in the towing eye?

Did you know it was opposite thread? If not you will be forever trying and getting nowhere.

Or where to find it or even where it goes..... :lol:

My colleagues who helped out on the mud bath that was the IoW festival, found that most people didn't know where it was, or how to fit them.....

Sent using whatever device I'm using at the time.

• Like 2

I requested 16" wheels when I ordered my Yeti from Allams but was told after James had inquired of Skoda UK that I couldn't have them. This was before The Plumber got his. I accepted the dealer's advice instead of pushing the case.

I have 16" steel wheels for winter tyres, and find that combination more comfortable than the 17" alloys provided as standard.

It would have been nice to have the choice, and the extra comfort it brings.

Fred

Ditto

Exactly the samo.

+1

Etc.

Every winter I think I will buy some new summer wheels and sell the Spitzbergs, but due to tax bills, can never seem to afford the cost to change.

Sent using whatever device I'm using at the time.