Forum Changes - They start here, please read

ColinD

Just for clarification, this how i see http://www.briskoda....da-yeti-owners/ looking..

post-9520-0-01922300-1345705646_thumb.jpg

That is just a quick photochop, but if that is something we could do would people be interested? We could even put it at a completely different URL so those that didn't want that kind of view could stick to what they have.

Obviously, yours wont be filled with annoying 'Unapproved' title prefixes..

• Like 3

Alex,

That looks good for me.

I am assuming that It works like this..

Excuse the granny sucking eggs but it might help explain how it works to the less computer literate

Those users that have the yeti main page as their home page land here to start with.

From here they have one click access to the three yeti dedicated headings at the top of the page containing yeti specific topics.

The other headings within the community section would take you to the main Briskoda forum and into whichever forum you selected, giving one click access all topics in those forums.

I find the View New Content link very useful and easy access to stuff I haven't read so hopefully it will operate in exactly the same way, linking to the whole Briskoda site, as now?

As for subject heading i would agree with graham (twice in a week!) With the exception of Site Issues, which should be included.

Thanx for all your hard work on this Alex, and Gadgetman. Cheers guys

• Like 1

I don't think I have much interest in any Forum on the BRISKODA site (nor any reason to post therein) other than on the YETI Forum. I did not join BRISKODA because of any general interest in Skodas - but because of a personal interest in Yetis in particular.

Early on in my membership I read (and posted) in the Octavia, Fabia and Yeti groups, in order to assist me to make the decision as to which model to buy. Since placing my order for a Yeti (which I am told will be delivered next month) I have only read and posted in the Yeti Group - and I have received a lot of valuable help. And if owners of another species of Skoda have something of interest to say to a post made in the Yeti group, or some insight to add - that seems to me excellent and to be valued.

But (see my previous post in this thread) I have sometimes found the tone of the Yeti group (imparted by a small but vocal clique) to be hostile to opinions contrary to theirs (especially if - horror-of horrors - that person doesn't even own a Yeti!!!) , and dismissive (often with abuse) of concerns they do not themselves share - whilst among themselves they have formed a society for mutual admiration.

Joining this forum has reminded me what it was like as a schoolboy to come into a new class where there was a well established little club who felt they ruled the roost - and woe betide anyone who crossed them or was too 'different'.

This thread had given me (and I think a few others) an opportunity to pop our heads above the parapet and say what we think - and to indicate the direction and tone we would like to see in the Yeti forum.

I agree and they know who they are.

As someone has already reported this post.. really? :wonder:

As I said, I just felt that describing people as "horse-blinkered" wasn't a constructive thing to do in a thread that's turned to being a pretty positive move forward. As no public criticism is allowed of any staff member for any reason I did it privately - I also thought that this would avoid unnecessary drama.

As I said, I just felt that describing people as "horse-blinkered" wasn't a constructive thing to do in a thread that's turned to being a pretty positive move forward. As no public criticism is allowed of any staff member for any reason I did it privately - I also thought that this would avoid unnecessary drama.

I do think some people are horse blinkered.. its hardly offensive!? Its by the by any way.. as you said; positivity!

I am enjoying the notion of site development being used to broaden my view as someone who came here as a Yeti owner and enthusiast.

I agree it is a shame to describe people as "horse blinkered" when otherwise making an excellent progressive proposal.

If the community aspect of a forum is to flourish it is by interesting those who have entered via a single model not by assuming they have some defect in their approach.

I think part of the problem is that there is an inexplicable resentment by some of the Yeti specific interest of some of those who have -like me- come to appreciate Skoda through the only model with a waiting list problem. I used to have a soft spot for the rear engined coupes but otherwise they have not made a car which both suited my use and attracted me.

I can't easily understand why that means I may be blinkered?

I am enjoying the notion of site development being used to broaden my view as someone who came here as a Yeti owner and enthusiast.

I agree it is a shame to describe people as "horse blinkered" when otherwise making an excellent progressive proposal.

If the community aspect of a forum is to flourish it is by interesting those who have entered via a single model not by assuming they have some defect in their approach.

I think part of the problem is that there is an inexplicable resentment by some of the Yeti specific interest of some of those who have -like me- come to appreciate Skoda through the only model with a waiting list problem. I used to have a soft spot for the rear engined coupes but otherwise they have not made a car which both suited my use and attracted me.

I can't easily understand why that means I may be blinkered?

Having been following this thread from the start it seems to me that whilst some people seem happy and willing to discuss potential changes others seem to automatically say no to any suggestion. Hence I agree with the blinkered comment.

As I see it what is being proposed is going to make information easier to find, which can only be a good thing, and mean that discussion happen in the right place where you are going to get input from the right people.

• Like 1

looks good - so if you are determined to look at only at yeti stuff then that is there, but the suggested design would also highlight to you that there were other areas that just might have something useful / interesting . Looks like a good model to me. And it could just as easily be used for other models, I have seen plenty of Octy and Furby owners posting generic matters in their model specific forums.

good work :dance:

Just for clarification, this how i see http://www.briskoda....da-yeti-owners/ looking..

post-9520-0-01922300-1345705646_thumb.jp

That is just a quick photochop, but if that is something we could do would people be interested? We could even put it at a completely different URL so those that didn't want that kind of view could stick to what they have.

Obviously, yours wont be filled with annoying 'Unapproved' title prefixes..

That was along the lines I was thinking, but a little more streamlined than your mock up. Some areas just a link to the main category to simplify the community pages. So you could cover all bases, but without overloading folk who may not want it all?

Just my 2p.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

THANK YOU

Ok folks, I thank you for the input on this thread.

As many know I welcome all constructive criticism. We can move forward from this.

I've printed out all the pages and have a green & red marker. The changes will come into effect gradually with notice. They will be influenced by the comments and my gut; which has seen a decade of this.

Thank you for your time, looking forward to the next season and who knows might even join the ranks of yeti'ism as SWMBO is looking for a new motor; lease :)

I've locked this thread now, but if you want to follow up, please do so by pm or email to webmaster [at] briskoda.net

• Like 1