Forum Changes - They start here, please read

ColinD

I did make some points and suggestions, but your response was "Back to square one (shrugs shoulders and does that face the french do when they CBA)"

That kind of response does not encourage me to waste my time discussing it any further, with that kind of response with no trying anything different.

I know you mod on a voluntary basis, but a bit more constructive criticism would have been appreciated David 8.

If you don't try nothing changes.

Make changes or don't.

Or just tell everyone that doesn't fall into line to go away and use a specific Yeti forum.

Life carries on regardless.

• Like 2

Personally i feel that the Yeti section would well do with some stronger moderation to force them to integrate with the wider Briskoda community, i can see on the first page alone 3 threads that really belong elsewhere, but when the moderators tried doing this before we had the previous Yeti war.

It certainly appears to be a sub-forum that some of the users of have no interest in being part of the wider site and as has been previously demonstrated they seem feel that non Yeti owners are second class citizens who have nothing of interest to say and have no right to be posting here. Something does need to be done but when changes are made the members need to appreciate that its being done in the best interests of the wider forum rather than their own specific community.

• Like 1

Wap, I refer you to my previous posts here.

Nothing is done because there is no moderation... then loads of posts are moved or changed at once, which gets a reaction.

The only thing you will force people to do is to join a Yeti specific forum so they can chat to thier Yeti friends about general topics.

You can't force them to take part in the wider community if they don't want to.

If that's what Colin and his helpers want then that's fine. It's his site.

But you can't force them to do what you want, you can only encourage. We don't do this currently.

Forcing ends in encouraging them to leave Briskoda or use it less.

Which has no impact on anyone else really, other than the site sponsors.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Disclaimer, only read page one..

Just need to clarify the driver on this is information. It is not about moderation and member management.

The model zones would be adapted to suit the needs of those models. Clearly the vRS models will attract more performance and tuning than a citigo. We've discussed in the past a forum for engines, then subforum for each engine type. All the forum structure is about finding/sourcing and sharing information. Imagine in 5 years time trying to find out about feature x on a 2012 yeti, going to be hard admist 10's of thousands of posts all in one forum.

That is idea where this is trying to go. My timing is off on openly discussing it with the current and I can't think of a better way '#crap' that is circulating.

As to the it's not broke, I know, this is a evolution, or at least a discussion to consider options, what comes maybe nothing or it maybe a great step forward :)

Anyway I'll take the time to catch up on this later, keep it constructive and we'll do well.

• Like 2

Personally i feel that the Yeti section would well do with some stronger moderation to force them to integrate with the wider Briskoda community, i can see on the first page alone 3 threads that really belong elsewhere, but when the moderators tried doing this before we had the previous Yeti war.

It certainly appears to be a sub-forum that some of the users of have no interest in being part of the wider site and as has been previously demonstrated they seem feel that non Yeti owners are second class citizens who have nothing of interest to say and have no right to be posting here. Something does need to be done but when changes are made the members need to appreciate that its being done in the best interests of the wider forum rather than their own specific community.

And it is exactly this sort of post that has "caused" the Yeti population to avoid the rest of the site. And that posted by the erstwhile fatty5000 whose opinions seem to have remained unaltered since 2010 vis-a-vis the Yeti forum.

It is a different type of forum populated by different people with different interests. No way do I wish to be coerced into 'the wider community'

I have zero interest in raising or lowering my suspension, or changing to fat tyres or installing mammoth ICE separates - and I believe that those who do should carry on - and enjoy their interests.

My interest is understanding my new vehicle, what its idiosyncrasies are, what the problems are and how to overcome them, and along the way to enjoy light-hearted discourse with similarly minded contributors - without, if possible, barbed comments from those who feel they are on the periphery.

There are a few names that keep appearing, and are always associated with self indulgent stuff which is unnecessary. What was once a source of useful and enjoyable amusement and information has sadly turned into something that is the polar opposite, and will be a place where new posters will be inhibited from appearing for fear of having the mick taken and being ridiculed with snide comments.

Its a great pity. There have been some great and reasoned posts in this thread, yet still there are those who carp and whinge - almost as if there was a touch of the green eye in their vision.

I hope, Colin, that between you and the sensible collaborative members you can forge a workable solution before too many actually disappear from contributing.

• Like 2

The model zones would be adapted to suit the needs of those models. Clearly the vRS models will attract more performance and tuning than a citigo. We've discussed in the past a forum for engines, then subforum for each engine type. All the forum structure is about finding/sourcing and sharing information. Imagine in 5 years time trying to find out about feature x on a 2012 yeti, going to be hard admist 10's of thousands of posts all in one forum.

Colin I know there are many views on this, but like any database, the only way to find things in future is to correctly label them. Labels have been added I know and have largely been ignored. My view is that the forum can stay as is but the labels have to be enforced and / or this moderator / management person should be able to add labels where required - or indeed any member. And Bob's your uncle. Anything ever said about a 2012 Yeti, with a Bolero radio and front parking sensors will be easy to find... So changing the basic structure of the forum won't help much in my view. Peeps will still be able to chat about a left front suspension grommet in the Fabia radio section and nothing of a new high level folder system (bar moving it) will ever make such a grommet easier to find in five years.

• Administrators

I have zero interest in raising or lowering my suspension, or changing to fat tyres or installing mammoth ICE separates - and I believe that those who do should carry on - and enjoy their interests.

My interest is understanding my new vehicle, what its idiosyncrasies are, what the problems are and how to overcome them, and along the way to enjoy light-hearted discourse with similarly minded contributors - without, if possible, barbed comments from those who feel they are on the periphery.

This is what I was seeing, not only here, but in all model areas. Thus back to the dissemination of information, if the yeti became a popular model for lowering, fat(phat) tyres, mammoth ice installs, and the forst two pages were only this sort of thread, you I suppose might find little value.

Separate them out to a yeti modifications forum and then the general idiosyncrasies, problem threads can float to where they are of interest.

In doing so it introduces more forums and that can't be the same template for each model and I can't list them all on the home page; hence the Yeti zone concept.

Again I began with the yeti model as it's prime in terms of popularity, amount of information and actually the diversity of the membership. If it can work here, it can work anywhere, if it can't that's fine too.

It does at time feel like; to use an engine metaphor, one of the timing cams is off and the whole block is about to explode. But that's why I tune and listen. Not everything is right or wrong and god knows it's getting harder each day to manage it, it's only my 3,612th day on the job too.

Back in a bit, need some lunch.

• Like 3

Colin, I've seen on other forums that have a global "modification" section, where you can select a car from a drop down list, which precedes the thread title. So you'll have something like this (all tongue in cheek ;) ):

Briskoda > Modifications >

Octavia I - Will JOM Coilovers Kill My Children?

Yeti - I mistakenly ordered 17" wheels - help!

Fabia II - WHY IS THERE NO DIESEL VRS!!?!?!?!??!!!1111twelve

Superb I - I've only done 123,321 miles this year, and the car wants an oil change?

Etc etc :)

• Like 4

This is what I was seeing, not only here, but in all model areas. Thus back to the dissemination of information, if the yeti became a popular model for lowering, fat(phat) tyres, mammoth ice installs, and the forst two pages were only this sort of thread, you I suppose might find little value.

Separate them out to a yeti modifications forum and then the general idiosyncrasies, problem threads can float to where they are of interest.

Ahem... totally get that and agree with it. I was a member of the A2OC forum (for the Audi A2) and because it was for only one car there is a plethora of sub folders in which to post what you wanted to discuss. Worked well in my book. Rarely did the mods have to move anything from the "General" section to anything specific as it was very easy to figure out yourself where to post in the first instance. Eg:

General

Photos

Was it you or spotted

Exterior

Interior

Wheels and tyres

ICE

Service and Engine

Modifications

How to

etc...

Of course ICE, engines and things like VCDS are cross platform and cross model so I don't see a point of having model specifics for those, but for future reference and finding stuff I guess it won't matter to include folders for these in each forum. As long as the 2,0 CR engine discussion in the Yeti forum had the "2,0 CR" label for example, someone from the Superb forum can find it should they tick the box to search "across all forums"...

• Like 1

Hi Johann,

just a thought but the 2.0TDI motors at least, can be model (floor pan) specific; the engine in the Yeti differs somewhat from that in a Superb. Come across this confusion particularly say with oil pumps, as the Superb engine design uses a spline drive and the Yeti chain or belt depending if it’s first or second generation CR.

TP

• Like 1

Back when I had a Fabia, I posted pretty much exclusively in the Fabia section. What, after all, was I going to add to a conversation about any other model? Now I have a Yeti I post pretty much exclusively in the Yeti section - this just seems natural and sensible to me, and as has been noted, there's nothing in the signup stating that a certain %age of one's posts have to be in forums not related to the model you own.

• Like 1

I'm not saying that the Yeti community should be forced to post in the other specific model forums, but the posts that get made in here that are really for such areas as Roadside Hotel, General Chat etc should be posted in those forums , it appears the posters on this thread want them to stay in here purely for the Yeti owners to comment on while not being related to their cars, Surely this is going to cause a greater level of isolation.

In reply to the comments that people are implying here that the Yeti community wants to be a separatist state? i'd certainly say many of the comments in here and in other threads demonstrating xenophobia towards the other parts of the forum show this to be true.

I myself posted in here that i have a Yeti (with photographs), yet was challenged that i was lying? Hardly a way to welcome someone to a particular area of the forum.

So to pose a question at yourself, if i wish to modify the Yeti parked at the bottom of my drive by putting larger wheels on it, changing the suspension system, or whatever i may fancy, would i be able to have a free discussion of it in this forum, even with owners of other models of car without any mocking from the Yeti community?

I did make some points and suggestions, but your response was "Back to square one (shrugs shoulders and does that face the french do when they CBA)"

That kind of response does not encourage me to waste my time discussing it any further, with that kind of response with no trying anything different.

I know you mod on a voluntary basis, but a bit more constructive criticism would have been appreciated David 8.

If you don't try nothing changes.

Make changes or don't.

Or just tell everyone that doesn't fall into line to go away and use a specific Yeti forum.

Life carries on regardless.

I'm not the man to make the desicion on specific forum changes, think of me as cleaner/maintanance man, my thoughts are mine and mine only as far as I know, back to sqaure one was reference to the fact that this will flare up again in time. Regardless of what we/you/them say, it goes in cycles.

I'd love to be a bit more helpful, but I'm afraid my way is lost on this because it's two different demographics which are far removed from each other.

TBH I wish you would all just have a big manhug/fight/whatever and kiss and make up so I can get on with my daily chores :rofl:

And it is exactly this sort of post that has "caused" the Yeti population to avoid the rest of the site. And that posted by the erstwhile fatty5000 whose opinions seem to have remained unaltered since 2010 vis-a-vis the Yeti forum.

It is a different type of forum populated by different people with different interests. No way do I wish to be coerced into 'the wider community'

What did I say back then I can't even remember that incident !!!

I think your right in saying that you have no interest, I agree with you, the only way forward I can see is that the off road section stay where they are and the rest stay where they are, like in the pub as someone said. I'm sure you won't miss each other, and lets face it too a point it works until the odd hiccup,

I don't hold any grudges like I say above it's more a distraction than a problem for me personally, I'm not trying to single people out. I tried to keep out of it, but then I am seen as doing nothing. I knew I shoulda kept schtum, I was only tring to give Gadgetman a bit of support, look where it got me

Damned if you, damned if don't but hey thats what you get for being mod :angel: Imagine how Colin feels !!

Can I go now and try and find my boost leak now ?? :happy:

• Like 2

What an absolute shame we've come to this.

Like others, I'm really only interested in the Yeti forum and while we also have a Roomster, and I might stray there occasionally, I have no real interest.

As I think someone else has already said, I'm keen to understand my own vehicle and prepared to learn and share with like minded people.

That's my two penn'orth really.

John

• Like 1

Colin, I've seen on other forums that have a global "modification" section, where you can select a car from a drop down list, which precedes the thread title. So you'll have something like this (all tongue in cheek ;) ):

Briskoda > Modifications >

Octavia I - Will JOM Coilovers Kill My Children?

Yeti - I mistakenly ordered 17" wheels - help!

Fabia II - WHY IS THERE NO DIESEL VRS!!?!?!?!??!!!1111twelve

Superb I - I've only done 123,321 miles this year, and the car wants an oil change?

Etc etc :)

Have proposed to Colin before, have again.

Each model has it's own gen chat area.

Then there is one forum for mods, engine, ICE etc and the prefix system is used so people can filter content and see only what they want.

That *should* tick everyones boxesof own communities, interation with the other members through the shared forums (which may aid support for common issues) etc etc without each model needing 80 odd forums simply to mostly discuss the same issues as anther model group.

• Like 2

What an absolute shame we've come to this.

Like others, I'm really only interested in the Yeti forum and while we also have a Roomster, and I might stray there occasionally, I have no real interest.

As I think someone else has already said, I'm keen to understand my own vehicle and prepared to learn and share with like minded people.

That's my two penn'orth really.

John

Me too , I am thrilled I bought my yeti and was guided by the forum on aspects I may wish to consider . I am not mechanically minded , I have posted the odd questions and have received very helpful advice -as well as searching the forum generally for relevant topics .

It would be a crying shame to loose what we have , if something is not relevant to you a more interesting area is only a click away ......we have volunteers (thankyou both ) and I in my opinion we should give this change a chance ,if it enhances what we already have .

:)

Me too , I am thrilled I bought my yeti and was guided by the forum on aspects I may wish to consider . I am not mechanically minded , I have posted the odd questions and have received very helpful advice -as well as searching the forum generally for relevant topics .

It would be a crying shame to loose what we have , if something is not relevant to you a more interesting area is only a click away ......we have volunteers (thankyou both ) and I in my opinion we should give this change a chance ,if it enhances what we already have .

:)

Yes, I have also been the recipient of much helpful advice. I have also tried to add my comments where I've thought hey would be helpful.

The forum is therefore extremely useful. It's also fun and let's not forget that. Perhaps Yeti owners are a different breed. Perhaps not.

I agree, let's give it a chance and move on.

John

My purchase of a Yeti in April 2010 was most certainly influenced by the comments made up to that point on this Forum.

I found what I read to be the most interesting, informative and well considered that I have ever come across on an Internet forum. I was particularly impressed with the helpful attitude of contributors who were more than willing to answer what at the time I now realise must have been some pretty daft questions from someone who had never owned a Skoda before.

Since my SM arrived, I have tried to use my experience of the car to help others solve issues, I have contributed to several "general slightly off-topic" topics, and have very much appreciated the sometimes slightly close to the bone, but lighthearted banter seen from time to time.

I rarely stray off the Yeti forum, simply because pretty well all my questions are answered here, and to be honest, I don't have time to look at discussions about other vehicles in the range.

In reality, I don't use the forum as a social club, but rather as a source of information that I add to when I can.

I would be very disappointed if the purpose of the Yeti Forum was to change, in just the same way that I was disappointed to read some of the recent remarks that have upset one or two contributors.

Yes, perhaps sub-dividing the forum by Classification of post might be helpful:-

eg - in no particular order, and no doubt there are other topics too:-

General chat / days out

Engines

Interior

Customising

Towing

Off road

Warranty

Servicing

Competitors products

etc

But at the end of the day, I wouldn't be too disappointed if the forum stayed as it is, as long as everyone was a touch more tolerant of those who don't have a wider interest in Skodas, or maybe have another Skoda vehicle but still have something to say here. But let's cut out the unfriendly comments that surface periodically - it's not funny, it's not clever and can be hurtful to the person on the receiving end. If you wouldn't say something to a stranger face to face, then don't say it here.

Don't forget, any reader can ignore a topic and move on to the next one if they are not interested in the subject/don't agree with whats being said.

Think of it like a TV (or radio). If you don't like the programme, change channel. You have the power of the button !!!

I'd fully support either or both Tim & Johann to monitor (or whatever the role will be), on the strict understanding that they are willing/have the time to do it and that it does not become an imposition.

Yeti's have a friendly face, let's keep the forum that way too. :hi:

Edited by speedsport
  • Like 3

?? I can't find anything to disagree with there Speedsport. :happy: Saves me a lot of typing.

One thing that has disturbed me about the recent rantings is MY impression that Administrators probably do a good job but seem to be hovering ready to jump to defend any perceived criticisms to their brethren.

TP and 900000000... (both) get my vote if it's necessary to make any changes and if they agree.

Fred

Previous Roomster owner and user at that time of the Roomster section. Very occasional user of other parts of Briskoda but unaware that I should make use of ALL of Briskoda.

• Like 1

FWIW, the Yeti thread list is my forum home page; every new post is read.

I usually then go to 'View new content' and skim for interesting bits. Some of these are of enough interest that I follow for a while at least, but these would very rarely be model-specific. But then I wouldn't expect a vRS Octavia guy to find much interest in a Yeti-specific thread.

Horses for courses, but you can't make them drink, perhaps.... :dull:

• Like 1

bizarre to note that this sort of thing always flares up when I go on holiday. :think:

TP and Johann seem to be generally well respected blokes and level headed, so would get my vote. But looking at Colin's original post it looked less like a mod role he had in mind and more of a first port of call for him in relation to yeti matters. And if that role has any value here then surely the same could be true of other models (thereby reducing the perception of the move as isolationist).

Personally I am baffled by the views of some - why would I for example seek the views of only yeti owners on somethign like the operation of the bolero when that is a common feature across the range, or the bluetooth system or whatever. It just wouldn't make sense. Sure if it's about the yeti seating or yeti lights or whatever, but otherwise I would seek input from the widest possible source.

When I log on to the site I find the quickest way is to browse new content. Much faster than going down into each forum to find topics of interest.

Edited by domhnall