Forum Changes - They start here, please read

ColinD

And another suggestion - he who owns a matching pair, BossFox.

Thanks, but over the various forums and cars I don't really have the time to dedicate to one specific section.

And I think TP would be perfect because he knows the car very well and doesn't get drawn into the banter.

I was going to wait for Colin to ask for a Citygo rep... ;)

This could be quite a time consuming project for one person in addition to all their other commitments, especially if they were to be unwell or about to go/or return from holiday. How about Tim and 000000000000 sharing they would both be a good choice?

• Like 1

Hello Colin,

I am not enirely sure of the purpose of this, and read rom your post that you are not quite sure either. Let me make it quite clear that I am not a suitable candidate. I have learned long time ago, that participation in club politics was not for me, and this seems to be close to some type of club politics.

The Yeti forum quite early developed into a community. As part of a community, there is naturally some off-topic posting, as the participants get to know each other and comment on a personal basis on non-Yeti topics. Some time ago, Briskoda decided to reduce these off-topic subjects in a rather cavalier manner. In my opinion, this damaged the community spirit and drove many - if not completely away, then certainly to reduced activity. I have to admit that this has partially come back.

It is a very difficlut task to maintain a balance between keeping posts on topic and allowing some reasonable degree of off-topic discussions, which let people feel that hey "belong" to the group. If you do not police it, it becomes an inate collection of mind numbing posts a la Facebook. If you are too strict in your topic control, participants get dicouraged and leave.

If there is any obvious champion of this group, it is TP.

Edited by Agerbundsen
  • Like 3

Hello Colin,

I am not entirely sure of the purpose of this, and read from your post that you are not quite sure either. Let me make it quite clear that I am not a suitable candidate. I have learned long time ago, that participation in club politics was not for me, and this seems to be close to some type of club politics.

The Yeti forum quite early developed into a community. As part of a community, there is naturally some off-topic posting, as the participants get to know each other and comment on a personal basis on non-Yeti topics. Some time ago, Briskoda decided to reduce these off-topic subjects in a rather cavalier manner. In my opinion, this damaged the community spirit and drove many - if not completely away, then certainly to reduced activity. I have to admit that this has partially come back.

It is a very difficult task to maintain a balance between keeping posts on topic and allowing some reasonable degree of off-topic discussions, which let people feel that hey "belong" to the group. If you do not police it, it becomes an innate collection of mind numbing posts a la Facebook. If you are too strict in your topic control, participants get discouraged and leave.

If there is any obvious champion of this group, it is TP.

Does the Yeti section really need to be more insular than it is already?

Hmm, this is an interesting subject and perhaps we Yeti forum contributors should feel honoured that ColinD has chosen us as his Guinea pigs for this subject and discussion.

My blunt opinion though, without wishing to appear rude or ungrateful (to ColinD) is that 'if it ain't broke why fix it'. What I mean to say is that the Yeti section of the forum seems to be sensibly set up as it is and I don't see the need for any division of comments into sub-forums.

As a contributor to Briskoda for 5+ years now I have used the Fabia, Octaiva II, Roomster (occasionally) and now Yeti sections depending on my ownership of the day. Each element of Briskoda has its own 'feel' (if that's the right expression) e.g Octavia II seems very performance/tuning orientated by vRS owners, whilst Yeti seems somewhat genteel. Its a case of each to its own.

I have seen the Forum as a whole grow, with the addition of a variety of topics, most recently about a year ago and, in my humble opinion, I think we have got a sensible number of model specific and 'extra curricular' topic i.e. tuning, tyres, marketplace etc. that we don't need any more. I can just about, as an experienced user/contributor, keep track of the 'forums' available now and what's where, but for any newbie the selection is almost daunting and we ought not frighten newbies off.

Question: How many of us that use & contribute to the Yeti part of Briskoda venture off to other areas on a regular basis? Personally I spend (of my time on the forum) about 85% - 90% on Yeti and the remainder flicking around Octaiva II, Fabia, Tyres, Tuning and the Marketplace. I've been looking at CitiGo recently as it is a new and interesting model.

I must echo Agerbundsen's comment of "It is a very difficult task to maintain a balance between keeping posts on topic and allowing some reasonable degree of off-topic discussions, which let people feel that hey "belong" to the group. If you do not police it, it becomes an innate collection of mind numbing posts a la Facebook. If you are too strict in your topic control, participants get discouraged and leave." and leave (for now) with a final comment of, that with a little relaxation of the deviation 'off-topic' in any given thread, to allow some more general (personal) discussion, which is vaguely relevant to the topic; this will be perfect as 'development'.

Just my two pence worth.

• Like 1

Think everyone needs to Strand back, take a few deep breaths and chill out :yes:

This. I've always found the forum fine and while there will always be members that I disagree with or even disagree with me but I don't take it to heart. This is how forums are. I act on the forum the same as I do to anyone and Briskoda members I've met I've found to be exactly the same.

First thank you to everyone that mentioned the one of many naughts as a candidate... :blush: Second, it seems I've missed a lot of politcs in this thread (that have been deleted?). Don't know. Today is the first time I saw this thread, so after seeing the "resting" thread I realised it happened about air ride and what not... Thankfully I missed it all...

So...

My vote would be for Tim as well in this role, but am not averse to standing for it and helping either, or as well. Trust that makes sense.

First thank you to everyone that mentioned the one of many naughts as a candidate... :blush: Second, it seems I've missed a lot of politcs in this thread (that have been deleted?). Don't know. Today is the first time I saw this thread, so after seeing the "resting" thread I realised it happened about air ride and what not... Thankfully I missed it all...

So...

My vote would be for Tim as well in this role, but am not averse to standing for it and helping either, or as well. Trust that makes sense.

The 'deleted' bits IIRC were silly suggestions following on from taff170's 'vRS subsection' suggestion that evolved to Mk II or FL version; PD or CR - or something like that. Apart from being IMHO 'silly' I didn't see any harm in them.

I think the pair of you on 'job share' would be the ideal solution if that suits both you, TP and Colin :thumbup:

Quite happy to go with the consensus of the forum on this one, after all it is 'everyone's forum'. However after the repeat shenanigans over this last weekend, I wonder if Colin might not quietly put the idea to bed :wonder:

TP

The 'deleted' bits IIRC were silly suggestions following on from taff170's 'vRS subsection' suggestion that evolved to Mk II or FL version; PD or CR - or something like that. Apart from being IMHO 'silly' I didn't see any harm in them.

I didn't think them as Silly, well not when I posted them :giggle:

I didn't think them as Silly, well not when I posted them :giggle:

Fair enough. I must admit to having a bit of a :giggle: at them.

PS> I meant 'silly' in the context of 'not serious' or 'tongue in cheek' - or at least that's how I read them. No offence? ;)

Fair enough. I must admit to having a bit of a :giggle: at them.

PS> I meant 'silly' in the context of 'not serious' or 'tongue in cheek' - or at least that's how I read them. No offence? ;)

no offence taken my friend, glad they gave you a chuckle, after all thats what life's all about

If I have brought a smile into your life my deed for that day has been done.

Andy

• Like 2

no offence taken my friend, glad they gave you a chuckle, after all thats what life's all about

If I have brought a smile into your life my deed for that day has been done.

Andy

carnageblog460.jpg

• Like 3

There is a sort of 'inner circle' or clique within this forum - some of whom I have noticed are extremely 'touchy' and quick to take offence, - but only if the person posting is not within their magic-circle. If any of this group were appointed as 'community leader' this forum would rapidly become even smaller - with many people being banned, or leaving of their own accord. Not infrequently people who post views which an individual with this sub-group doesn't like or agree with like are told to 'go away' and things get pretty unpleasant. I am not here speaking from personal experience, but I have seen others treated in this manner.

On the other hand there are those of us who joined the Forum not for social reasons (we have a life outside of Yetidom which supplies all our social needs) but for the mutual dissemination of information and opinion related to Skodas/Yetis - and I have found some members (indeed most members) extremely helpful in this regard. I would personally prefer there to be no 'community leader' (power corrupts, and all that) but if there must be, then I would nominate either THE PLUMBER or 900000 - both of whom I have found unfailingly helpful, courteous AND knowledgeable.

Edited by mikespike
  • Like 4

There is a sort of 'inner circle' or clique within this forum - some of whom I have noticed are extremely 'touchy' and quick to take offence, - but only if the person posting is not within their magic-circle. If any of this group were appointed as 'community leader' this forum would rapidly become even smaller - with many people being banned, or leaving of their own accord. Not infrequently people who post views which an individual with this sub-group doesn't like or agree with like are told to 'go away' and things get pretty unpleasant. I am not here speaking from personal experience, but I have seen others treated in this manner.

On the other hand there are those of us who joined the Forum not for social reasons (we have a life outside of Yetidom which supplies all our social needs) but for the mutual dissemination of information and opinion related to Skodas/Yetis - and I have found some members (indeed most members) extremely helpful in this regard. I would personally prefer there to be no 'community leader' (power corrupts, and all that) but if there must be, then I would nominate either THE PLUMBER or 900000 - both of whom I have found unfailingly helpful, courteous AND knowledgeable.

I agree with Mikespike, especially his first paragraph.