Forum Changes - They start here, please read

ColinD

Some good points - but it's still segregation, completely against what Brisky is about.

Personally, I don't pay attention to what section a thread is in; if the title interests me when I click "View New Content", then I'll open it, read it, and maybe reply.

I assume that what is going on here, is people are just browsing the one section, then browsing through it manually. Which is fine. But not really what the forum is about! :)

• Like 3

Some good points - but it's still segregation, completely against what Brisky is about.

Personally, I don't pay attention to what section a thread is in; if the title interests me when I click "View New Content", then I'll open it, read it, and maybe reply.

I assume that what is going on here, is people are just browsing the one section, then browsing through it manually. Which is fine. But not really what the forum is about! :)

When people join Briskoda what are they told the forum is about?

edit:

It's not about segregation.

The crux of my post was about having someone who has thier eye on the Yeti section on a more regular basis. So it can be properly moderated rather than the heavy handed approach we currenly have, where the only time we see moderation is when it gets out of hand (because nobody with any power has thier eye on it) and then a mess develops and has to be sorted out afterwards.

• Like 2

It's not in black and white, it's just the general vibe. But, I guess people don't get that if they only visit one section...

That was my point, there are no rules of what you need to be interested in to take part in the world of Briskoda.

This forum caters for a wide user group with a wide range of interests. You can't control that, you can't control where people post, but you can make changes to ensure the forum is correctly moderated and any negative behaviour is controlled so it remains a nice forum to use.

• Like 3

I assume that what is going on here, is people are just browsing the one section, then browsing through it manually. Which is fine.

Yes that's exactly how I want to use it. I spend way too much of my time already on various forums and newsgroups - mostly associated with business interests. I really really don't want to have to wade through multiple subforums here to find posts of specific interest to the Yeti and if that's how the Briskoda forums develop then I probably won't be spending too much time here in future - my loss I know, but there seriously comes a point where the cost (in time) - benefit ratio is no longer worthwhile. To be clear, it's not any wish to be isolationist but I really just want to have to browse one forum where anything Yeti-related will be discussed.

But not really what the forum is about! :)

Not really sure what this means. Forums are as forums do, the world over.

Edited by prodata
  • Like 1

Again, this is fine. It's when people complain about outsiders posting in "their" forum that gets peoples backs up. I appreciate that people might not be interested in other models, or tech, or Skoda in general, or whatever, but by being so insular, it drives people away.

These proposed changes would just further that segregation.

From how I see it, you've got the following different types of members:

• Regular Skoda owners - mostly lurk, occasionally ask a question about something mechanical
  • Skoda/VAG/car enthusiasts - post regularly, many will have had more than one Skoda, most will have had a line of other VAG cars, or interesting/performance cars (can be described as "petrol heads")
  • Scenesters - in it for "teh lulz" - people who usually stick to VW's but have got a Skoda so they can be different
  • Yeti owners - likely their first Skoda, have no interest in everything else Skoda, only bought a Yeti because it was the best car/price for them at the time, regardless of the badge

Not trying to offend anyone with that list (apart from the scenesters, they can all "go away"), but that's just how I see it.

I am still struggling to see any of the proposed changes leading to further segregation, as you say Babs.

Any changes would lead to a more positive feeling in the Yeti section, which would lead to new members outside the inner circle (mentioned above) having a more enjoyable forum experience. And if you enjoy using a forum more you may be inclined to have a wider look at it and take part...

• Like 1

I can't seem to 'reply' for some reason so to quote Babs;-

"Some good points - but it's still segregation, completely against what Brisky is about.

I assume that what is going on here, is people are just browsing the one section, then browsing through it manually. Which is fine. But not really what the forum is about! :) "

A very valid point. I must admit to falling into your second category of frequenting the Yeti section (or Octavia section when I had my vRS) and only occasionally dipping into other sections. However, your method of using the form seems to be an interesting and wide ranging way of operating.

Taking up BossFox's point about frequency of visits by moderators; I feel you have potentially 'hit the nail on the head'. It would be good to see a moderator or two visiting the Yeti section from time to time as a contributor as opposed to just 'moderating'.

Perhaps, as an alternative to ColinD's idea of a 'Community Leader' we just need to invite/promote a frequent Yeti forum contributor to being a Moderator. Discuss?

• Like 3

Taking up BossFox's point about frequency of visits by moderators; I feel you have potentially 'hit the nail on the head'. It would be good to see a moderator or two visiting the Yeti section from time to time as a contributor as opposed to just 'moderating'.

Perhaps, as an alternative to ColinD's idea of a 'Community Leader' we just need to invite/promote a frequent Yeti forum contributor to being a Moderator. Discuss?

This was effectively the direction I was leaning in.

Someone with thier eye on things on a regular basis, rather than waiting for WW3 and then a moderator being called in via the report function to sort it out and heavy moderation being needed.

• Like 1

bahnstormer - I am unashamedly a petrol head! As I've said, I'll just click "View New Content" and look in threads that look interesting, regardless of which section they're in. I absorb it all, and occasionally will reply with something meaningful apart from a funny picture :rofl:

As far as I'm aware, there are no moderators with Yetis? Perhaps that's the "issue" that is perceived?

Are we saying we need a moderator with a Yeti, so that the Yeti lot don't seem segregated from the whole forum, or are we saying we need to make a "community cohesion officer", to try and make things a bit less "us and them"? I'd be against a current member being made a moderator in the Yeti forum solely because they own a Yeti, as I can see that having the exact opposite affect to what it was (possibility for biased moderation etc, leading to more tension and and even bigger "us and them" gap).

That's the way it works for me too.

OK, I have 3 different Skoda vehicles (unusual but not unique) so I seem to spend quite a bit of time on here ATM and have participated in threads on several forums, not limited to those specific to the cars i have, so the easiest way for me to keep track of them all is to:

1: 'Follow' the ones I'm really interested in....Emails me automatically when new posts added.

2: click the 'My Content' link under my username (top right for those that don't know). Does what it says on the tin. Cick the star on the left of topics in bold takes you straight to your last post to save scrolling through the lot.

3: use the 'View New Content' link. Again, does what it says on the tin and shows all new content in all forums whether you've posted in them or not.

I use the forum in that order coz it works best for me that way.

I've come across some interesting, funny and helpful stuff this way, which I would have missed otherwise.

Sorry if this is Granny sucking eggs for a lot of you but.....

How about giving it a go, you might be surprised.

I've just realised this might not be in the best place so mods feel free to move it, copy it, etc to wherever if if helps.

Cheers all

As far as I'm aware, there are no moderators with Yetis? Perhaps that's the "issue" that is perceived?

I don't think that is the issue that is perceived.

I believe it's that when moderation is needed, things have usually already gone too far.

We then get a moderator (who we have no usual contact with) coming in to change things followed by several members who rarely post in the Yeti section unless it's surrounding an event where moderation is needed.

So you have a combination of issues.

Firstly, it's got too out of control because the Yeti forum is not moderated until it's too late.

Secondly, the mod arrives and has no interest in the section or knows the members and need to be heavy handed because of the first above.

Thirdly, the first and second steps lead to an influx of other posters who have little interest in the Yeti section and only post here surrounding modification occurances.

Not sure I've expalined that 100%, but that's my opinion.

Most of the times things have got out of hand could have been nipped in the bud and would not have then turned out the way they did.

A polite post edit or reminder about acceptable behaviour can work wonders.

• Like 2

Babs - I too am a petrol head (well diesel actually) and had an extensive list of mods to my Fabia, Octavia vRS PD TDI and now have tweaked my Yeti towards 'vRS' spec as well. Your way of using the forum is very interesting; I will try it out myself (we all live and learn).

As to a Yeti owning Moderator, there isn't one at present AFAIK, so either we need current moderators to contribute more or we find a Yeti owner who is willing to become a Moderator.

I believe there is no shortage of current Yeti owners who have a) been a forum member and contributors for some years and B) have previously owned other models so will have a wide ranging viewpoint of the forum.

PS> Still can't 'quote' reply!

• Like 2

What is this 'inner circle' of which you speak?

Is membership included as part of the Freedom package? :)

And, BTW, I replied directly to Colin, as he asked in # 1, rather than prolonging the debate here.

One small thought I've just had whilst skimming this.

I rarely visit any other sections unless theres something to do mod wise, when I do and if I remove something it doesn't end up with a thread and people threatening to leave the site, half the time I don't even explain my actions as people tend use common sense as to why something has gone or been moved.

I have no reason to visit the yeti section just as I don't visit the fabia or the superb section, I'm sure I'm not missed, and beside's if someone without a yeti pops in and posts something it's almost as if they arn't wanted any way .......

Back to square one (shrugs shoulders and does that face the french do when they CBA)

• Like 2

Babs - I too am a petrol head (well diesel actually) and had an extensive list of mods to my Fabia, Octavia vRS PD TDI and now have tweaked my Yeti towards 'vRS' spec as well. Your way of using the forum is very interesting; I will try it out myself

It's how I have always used the forum....maybe why I don't treat any part of it as sole the possession of one group ....I just click on new posts and go through the lot .....if I can help I will...or read if it is of interest.....I've been on here too long to be shut in one area ...id go stir crazy otherwise

• Like 1

One small thought I've just had whilst skimming this.

I rarely visit any other sections unless theres something to do mod wise, when I do and if I remove something it doesn't end up with a thread and people threatening to leave the site, half the time I don't even explain my actions as people tend use common sense as to why something has gone or been moved.

I have no reason to visit the yeti section just as I don't visit the fabia or the superb section, I'm sure I'm not missed, and beside's if someone without a yeti pops in and posts something it's almost as if they arn't wanted any way .......

Back to square one (shrugs shoulders and does that face the french do when they CBA)

Oh right then. There's a useful, constructive and helpful post from a mod! That'll help pour oil on troubled waters. NOT. The expression 'Can't be ar**d' seem a popular one amongst the mods just recently. I withdrew an earlier post purely because I thought I wouldn't add to the post count and would keep my thoughts to myself - but am sorry to see this unsettled outbreak occurring and contributions from mods like this don't bring anything helpful to the party. I still won't post what I was going to...much of it has been said, but I will say that, looking at the, badly named, "Resting" thread...... the off topic "double act" there, contributed by a couple of posters who only seem to pop up in the Yeti forum in order to exchange banter, and have, in that thread, seemed only to want to 'wind up' the Yeti owners, don't help to calm things down.

• Like 1

Hang on, since when did Babs become the voice of reason!!!

But this has all been said before.

We can keep going over this every few months then it appears. But believe me it gets tedious after a few times.

Hence why we may be feeling a little disillusioned with the whole argument.

We are still human and are still entitled to get fed up with what appears to be something of nothing.

How do you solve a problem like Maria ???

I don't know exactly if I'm honest.

Apologies for typo's I'm on the phone doing this

I see the above poster refers to the term ’banter’, ie light-hearted ramblings, not intended to be taken too seriously

You can’t always be expected to allow for those with a sense of humour bypass