Guide to VW POI Collections loader site

19 minutes ago, langers2k said:

I thought poinspect0r was free if you kept below a certain number of POI/categories? Assuming that is the case it's possible to merge DB3 files easily enough using this: https://www.gps-data-team.com/convert/merge-db3.php

The DB3 file is just an SQLite database, the schema is easy to extract and understand, the only trick is to convert lat/long into a a value the RNS-510 can use. I'm sure if someone knows a ilttle PHP they could create an online conversion tool easily enough :)

I also use the PGPSW camera database so will have to see if poinspect0r handles that amount of POIs ok.

1 minute ago, WaveyDavey said:

I also use the PGPSW camera database so quite a few POIs per category...... Will have to see if poinspect0r works.

I've contacted PGPSW a few times to see if they want the code to create DB3 files directly for RNS-510/Columbus owners but they don't seem interested...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, langers2k said:

I've contacted PGPSW a few times to see if they want the code to create DB3 files directly for RNS-510/Columbus owners but they don't seem interested...

Sounds to me like you're volunteering. :D 

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:11, WaveyDavey said:

I also use the PGPSW camera database so will have to see if poinspect0r handles that amount of POIs ok.

Just bit the bullet and splashed out 9 euros on the unlocked version of poinspect0r and can confirm that it works fine with PGPSW speed cameras - I've just loaded the full UK + EUR cameras and McDonalds POIs.  Resulting .db3 file size is slightly larger than that produced by the VW on-line tool but works fine.  Software is a little quirky and hasn't been updated since 2013 but works fine once you get used to its nuances and find the best / quickest way to do things (in my case this is to open one of your existing .db3 files and then add the new POI data .asc files with it set to delete the old POI data.  This avoids the need to setup the various categories or to resize the PGPSW camera icons into an odd size/ratio for use in the software as it simply retains the original category setup along with their icons in the old .db3 file so all you are doing is putting fresh data into the shell of a pre-formed .db3 file).

In summary well worth the small investment

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 13:07, DrCorbyLee said:

Just bit the bullet and splashed out 9 euros on the unlocked version of poinspect0r and can confirm that it works fine with PGPSW speed cameras - I've just loaded the full UK + EUR cameras and McDonalds POIs.  Resulting .db3 file size is slightly larger than that produced by the VW on-line tool but works fine.  Software is a little quirky and hasn't been updated since 2013 but works fine once you get used to its nuances and find the best / quickest way to do things (in my case this is to open one of your existing .db3 files and then add the new POI data .asc files with it set to delete the old POI data.  This avoids the need to setup the various categories or to resize the PGPSW camera icons into an odd size/ratio for use in the software as it simply retains the original category setup along with their icons in the old .db3 file so all you are doing is putting fresh data into the shell of a pre-formed .db3 file).

In summary well worth the small investment

Will have a look into that.

10 hours ago, athon34 said:

Here is the new link (June 2017) to VW WEB tool (in German) needed to create collections of POIs

http://webspecial.volkswagen.de/infotainment/de/de/manuals/nav-companion.html?d1=discoverpro-2&type=poiNavigation

Had already found that one (use it for another vehicle/sat nav), unfortunately that's for the new Columbus (and Amundsen II) based on VW discover rather than the old style RNS-510 based units.  As stated previously, I have had email communication with VW customer services in the UK and they confirmed that they are no longer supporting the RNS-510 (and hence old Columbus) in terms of the web tools for converting POIs so everyone needs to transition onto off-line methods such as the POInspect0r software which I've found works well and is worth the 9 euro investment

• Like 1

On 29/06/2017 at 14:23, bobbie009 said:

The link for the older Columbus models no longer works.  Does anyone have an updated site as I can only ind the discover version?

Here it is :

http://webspecial.volkswagen.de/infotainment/de/de/manuals/nav-companion.html?d1=discoverpro-2&type=poiNavigation

4 minutes ago, athon34 said:

That's for the new style Columbus and Amundsen (based on the VW discover range) and NOT the RNS510 based old style that bobbie009 was looking for.

VW in the UK have told me in writing that there is no longer an official VW on-line means to do this POI conversion - here's a cut from the email I received from them back on 3rd July "I have discussed your enquiry with our Technical Support Team, who confirmed that the companion service is no longer available for the RNS-510 infotainment system".  Now it wouldn't be the first time VW customer services had got something totally wrong but in this case I think they are correct as all links to the old RNS website are now broken and instead simply direct you to common home page for VW navigation

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bobbie009 said:

I ended up phoning VW in Germany who gave me this link to their old site which still appears to work.  I haven't yet tried it but I was assured it was good, http://rollout.volkswagen.de/content/de/brand/de/navigation/rns-510/poi-listen-sammlung.html .  Hope this helps.

Well done that man!!!!! Looks to be working at present.... Let's hope it stays up. 

• 1 year later...

Update. I've just tried Skoda's own POI creation tool. It appears to work now! It has created a folder structure like this

• destinations
  • gps-pictures
  • PersonalPOI (containing the MIB2 and MIB2TSD folders)
  • and the all important metainfo2.txt file

However I have yet to try the import on my L&K Superb 3 Columbus system. I'll report back with yea or ney.

http://mydestination.skoda-auto.com/POIs

A big NEY.

Don't bother with the Skoda POI creator. It still does not work. Now to dig out my original memory stick that had my speedcams from Sept 2018 created with VWs POI creator. If only I could find it......

Think the Skoda portal may still work at least interminently but now not a seamless process - see separate thread specific to the discover based Columbus:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/441437-speed-camera-pois-in-columbus-a-new-guide/?page=1 

Only guaranteed way to get it to work (and also the only way for the older RNS510 based version I have in my MK2) is to use the poinspect0r software which once you set it up is very easy to use - basically copy your new camera data to a folder, tell it to rebuild database (i.e. import the new data) and the tell it to copy it to SD card.  Far simpler and quicker that any of the VW group sites once you have created an update the first time.  Well worth the shareware cost and you can try for free with limited number of records

• Like 1

Hi

I've got some PO Inspector programs on an old computer in my shed.

If you want them, I'll did them out. I don't know if they help, but might just be the bit you need.

I'm busy next 10 days, so don't expect instant response.   Contact me directly on [email protected]