LED license plate bulbs.

Hello.

Has anyone of you changed your license plate bulbs to LED`s yet? Without getting an error?

I really want to have the white light on my plate, but the bulbs I have tried so far gives me errors.

Any tip is much appreciated.

Cheers

Suvdal

An easier method if to buy the LED's which state "CANBUS approved" or "No CANBUS Errors" you can find them on Ebay, cheap enough, as this addition of fitting bulbs or resistors behind bulbs is in my personal opinion, looks unsightly and is going to cause problems if they become insecure and start ratteling around inside the housing or if they are not fitted correctly could short out the system causing more problems.

But as I say their is LED's that will fit directly into the locations, and fitting is alot easier, you just have to look for them...

I can't speak for the Skoda as I don't have mine yet but my Wife has a Ford Kuga and it has the same Canbus type system as do most newer cars these days, and we have replaced all her bulbs Side, Puddle lights, Numberplate, interior, Footwell indicators, Brake and Reversing Bulbs.. ... EBAY..

Regards

RoDM

An easier method if to buy the LED's which state "CANBUS approved" or "No CANBUS Errors" you can find them on Ebay, cheap enough, as this addition of fitting bulbs or resistors behind bulbs is in my personal opinion, looks unsightly and is going to cause problems if they become insecure and start ratteling around inside the housing or if they are not fitted correctly could short out the system causing more problems.

But as I say their is LED's that will fit directly into the locations, and fitting is alot easier, you just have to look for them...

I can't speak for the Skoda as I don't have mine yet ...

Unfortunately the CANBUS LED's do not work without errors on post 2009 (white maxidot / DIS) VAG cars, the bulbs I have are CANBUS (every bulb I have used is CANBUS).

Mine will not rattle or come loose if you look at the photo of them, I agree they are not ideal, but there is little choice if you want LED numberplate bulbs in a newer VAG.

(I even tried OE Audi LED numberplate lights in the TT - made no difference, I still got the error, it must be a CECM change)

• Like 1

No LED's will work straight out the box without showing an error.

Look at post #29 to see how I have overcome this problem.

Well done. :)

I dont know wheter or not this solution will work on the Superb though, with C5W bulbs? And there is also a metal cover on the back of the bulb holder, so it will probably not fit. But I guess the metal cover might be skipped?

If you have done it to the Superb, maybe you have a picture of it? :)

Edited by Suvdal

I didn't take a photo of the Superb ones (IIRC) when I did them, but I'm sure mine did not have the metal covers over them (the interior boot lights in the boot have the metal covers - are you confusing these with them?)

You could leave the covers off - I did on the interior lights fitted to the tailgate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On the Superb they are not screwed in there is a metal clip that holds them in place.

I bought a set from that seller for SWMBO’s MY11 TT and they were:

a/ a **** fit

b/ gave DIS (maxidot) errors.

He gave a full refund no problem, just be warned they are not the best of fit.

(they are supplied with self adhesive double sided foam gasket…. which was needed to keep them in place!

Got 2 for £18.85, on the estate the original light are not screwed in they are only push fit. The set from e-bay are also push fit and they come with resistors as well all you have to do is unplug the original one and replace with the new one. The ones that i got were a tight fit. I will remove one at the weekend and take some photos to show you if you want.

Edited by rabmurray121