Next new car...

Visited the Skoda dealer in Chichester today, and have decided that the Superb Combi is definitely in my top 3.

Anyone here got one in L&K spec? It's amazing! I couldn't believe the amount of toys for the money. Park assist, front & rear sensors, panoramic sunroof, ventilated leather, heated seats front & back, rear footrests, TV tuner, bi-Xenons, lovely 18s... I loved it. Wasn't amazingly keen on the chocolate leather but it's something I could live with...

The salesman was trying to convince me to go for the 3.6 V6. Nice try, for sure, but I don't have pockets deep enough for that! :giggle: there's no VAT on petrol models at the moment though... :think:

Got a test drive in a 170 4x4 manual booked for next Sunday. Roll on. :D

Visited the Skoda dealer in Chichester today, and have decided that the Superb Combi is definitely in my top 3.

Anyone here got one in L&K spec? It's amazing! I couldn't believe the amount of toys for the money. Park assist, front & rear sensors, panoramic sunroof, ventilated leather, heated seats front & back, rear footrests, TV tuner, bi-Xenons, lovely 18s... I loved it. Wasn't amazingly keen on the chocolate leather but it's something I could live with...

The salesman was trying to convince me to go for the 3.6 V6. Nice try, for sure, but I don't have pockets deep enough for that! :giggle: there's no VAT on petrol models at the moment though... :think:

Got a test drive in a 170 4x4 manual booked for next Sunday. Roll on. :D

All I can add is do the maths. I did, and over 3 years and 60K miles with zero VAT, the higher cost of diesel fuel and the 3.6 doesn't cost that much more.

I do have a comute that uses less fuel than an urban crawl. I am getting a genuine brim to brim of 29.7 againt my previous 2WD 170 CR Diesel of 46 ish.

That V6 engine is a peach.

That is a little too tempting... I love the idea. The salesman was really pushing for it- he didn't even have a 3.6 lot queen that he wanted shifting, just thought it was too good to miss! I'm planning on having a Passat W8 as my 'stupid big engined taxi' so the 3.6 may be void.

How is the car as an ownership prospect? Are there any noted niggles as of yet? I would really like one but the sheer amount of gubbins does worry me. Particularly interested in Combi notes. Highly doubt I'd be going for a Twindoor.

I do shift a fair few large loads around, so an estate is something I'd really use. MDI? MaxiDot? Spare wheel would be a must for me. I remember when manufacturers GAVE you a spare wheel and you DIDN'T pay for it! :giggle:

Also contemplating the electric boot release & parcel shelf retract... anyone got this?

i have the electric boot and parcel cover retract on mine nice option to have on the estate suits the car some how. you cant have too many toys.park-assist is very good but unless you parallel park all the time i think there are better options to spend your money on.

bill

I agree , that's the one option I didn't think I would need. This was my first estate car, trying to open the boot with two dogs in tow can be a pain sometimes.

If I could order again I would definitely choose the auto opening boot, I've used park assist once in 15 months......

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Sw1

I have used park assist 2 or 3 times and it was both scary and brilliant. When in doubt a space is big enough this does the job. The V6 is really a weapon but there is the temptation to use it and I haven't come close to 29 mpg. Having said that, I live in a hilly area, very hilly! A trip on the open road does give 30+ mpg but I don't do much of that. Everything in my car is useful, the auto boot is VERY handy, especially with the retracting cover. The luggage rails and associated straps, restrainers, nets are also very useful. It took a while to adjust the seats (after the low and sporty Audi) but by raising them and getting the tilt right they are lovely. Definitely superior to the Passat I tested.

I have used park assist 2 or 3 times and it was both scary and brilliant. When in doubt a space is big enough this does the job. The V6 is really a weapon but there is the temptation to use it and I haven't come close to 29 mpg. Having said that, I live in a hilly area, very hilly! A trip on the open road does give 30+ mpg but I don't do much of that. Everything in my car is useful, the auto boot is VERY handy, especially with the retracting cover. The luggage rails and associated straps, restrainers, nets are also very useful. It took a while to adjust the seats (after the low and sporty Audi) but by raising them and getting the tilt right they are lovely. Definitely superior to the Passat I tested.

Thank you :) an incredibly useful response! Like I said, planning on a Passat W8 as my 'silly engined taxi' so that takes care of V6 cravings.

The dealer mentioned the auto boot was a 'must', but at £560 it's got to be a bloody good must. :giggle: however, everyone seems to rate it.

The park assist is standard with the L&K pack, so I'd have it whatever the weather. Shame about the weird colour inside (brings back memories of when the original Octavia L&K came out with the 'biscuit' leather), but the package as a whole is incredible.

I was seriously contemplating an Audi Allroad with the 3.0 TDi, but... this is such better value. More room, very similar aesthetics, and to be honest it's a more handsome car. Surprisingly purposeful. Here's to the test drive in a week's time. :)

I was in two minds as to whether to wait for the L&K to be introduced (ordered mine in June '10).

Once it was announced I was glad I had not waited, brown leather? not for me, I also did not want the sunroof, ventilated seats would of been nice maybe, but I speced mine pretty well:

• 170 Elegance
  • Park Assist - useful, just keep an eye on the curbs, remember it is only an assistant and it is not foolproof!
  • Heated windscreen - a must on those cold mornings, a damp screen is cleared in 10 seconds, a frozen on in about 30 seconds(ish).
  • Heated washer nozzles - not sure how good they are, but they have never frozen and at £35 seems silly not to spec them.
  • Electric boot - a must if you use the tailgate a lot IMO
  • Variable boot floor - pointless having an estate that doesn't have a flat load area, which you only get with the variable boot floor!
  • Spare wheel - wouldn't have a car without one.
  • Auto dimming rear view mirror - should be std!
  • Wood décor - don't like silver trim in a luxury car, love the 'wood'
  • Floor mats - factory fit ones are pretty crap for the money.... but they are wearing really well.

As for the V6, the running costs may well be pretty close to the TDi when you take off the VAT on the V6, but that will not alter the premium in road tax, insurance and ultimately the residuals that will be hit hard IMO.

But ATEOTD if these are not that important to you then sure the V6 would be lovely!

Thanks Gizmo. Have you had any trouble with the engine? The general interwebs consensus appears to be that the CR engines are tad more fragile than the old 8v PD lumps.

I did notice the boot floor in the showroom and raised an eyebrow at the fact it didn't have a flat loadspace, but thanks for mentioning the variable floor. I have it at the moment in my old tank, and it's incredibly useful!

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far. Any further opinions, good or bad, are appreciated. :)

Hi!

One of the things I appreciate with the car is the sound system. It's may be already in the L&K package. However it is, IMHO a huge step up from the ordinary system. But not a perfect one, I had a speaker replaced on warranty. Electric boot yes, but for £560? Ouch!

/Superbjoser

i really don't understand why people go on about the variable floor i don't have one in mine and have never had a problem,paying for one does seem a wast of money.

bill

It's quite simple really, if you are ever going to need to carry something large enough that you need the rear seats folded, the only way you will get a flat load area is with the variable boot floor,

i really don't understand why people go on about the variable floor i don't have one in mine and have never had a problem,paying for one does seem a wast of money.

bill

The only benefit I've used is the rails with the adjustable tie down rings and the luggage nuts. The partition bars came out early on to free space and haven't been put back in, so haven't proved useful for me.

Quick Q - the centre section in mine is a flimsy split fold item, certainly not a rigid centre section that you would lift out to load heavy items on to. Is the norm for the variable boot floor?

Thanks

Steve

Unfortunately Steve yes, although I have had a couple of diving twinsets on mine without issue ... they are not light! I did consider bridging the gap underneath with some timber to give it some support in the middle, but it went no further than considering it :blush:

i had no problem with a full size gas cooker.as i said cannot see what difference it would make unless you was on your own, but then you would need two people to carry the gas cooker to the car anyway.

bill

I couldn't make my mind up about the variable boot floor and dithered for so long that in the end it became too late and I couldn't change the order. I think my subconscious was in control. Much as I wanted a completely flat load area when the rear seats are down, like in my old Vectra, at the end of the day I couldn't see much point in paying a couple of hundred quid to make the boot smaller. So far I'm happy and if I need a flat surface I can rig something temporary. The back seats don't go down that often.

As for the electric boot, having had one before, I'd spec it every time. Same goes for auto dimming mirrors.

Like the Idea of a L&K but unless you can order it without the glass roof I wont be going for it!

Why? Unless you have an aversion to sunroofs. It's brilliant...probably one of the biggest and best out there. Mine has been open again today. The only thing I would like is a seperate option for automatic closing of the blind when the rain sensor senses rain and the system closes the roof. Don't know why Skoda think the blind should automatically close at the same time.