Parking Sensors

nebbers

About to place the big order. One question though - Front parking sensors. The model I test drive was fitted with the front and rear sensors (not park assist). I am sure I had to press a button on the console to activate these. Is this correct? Having to turn the sensors on seems a bit daft as the time I forget to turn them on will be the time I hit something waiting for the bleep.

Yes, you have to turn them on first (both front and rear activate together) if going forwards.

They come on automaticaly in reverse.

If they were on all the time they'd be beeping like mad at you every time you stopped in traffic with a car in front or behind, which for some drivers in town would drive them crazy.

Hence you need to switch them on when you want them, such as before you park if you feel you need the assistance.

Plus you have a much better view out of the front, so you should be able to avoid obsticles anyway. The sensors are more of a fail-safe, the rears are more important and you have much more restricted visibility to the back of the vehicle.

Also, if you are going for front sensors I'd consider the Park Assist.

Front sensors are £300 and Park Assist with front sensors is £400.

Seems worth the extra £100 to me, even if just for the novelty value. :)

• Like 1

Both sensors are activated when reverse is selected but yes if you are just moving forward you have to manually turn on front ones. It's not really a great problem as you should be moving slowly at the time and have plenty of time to remember to switch on.

Made use of my Park Asist yesterday for about the first time in 12 months when trying to park into a very small slot. Worked a treat and the passengers were all bowled over watching the car park it's self (ok I pressed the peddles) Well worth the extra for that!

on my last car Mercedes 320 estate the parking sensors wear activated below 5 MPH better idea than the skoda system

So every time you slowed down in traffic they came on and bleeped to tell you the distance to the car in front?

Just to supplement what has already been said, both front and rear parking sensors turn off automatically once you are going faster than about 10 mph in the forward direction.

I am a little confused by this!

One of our test drive cars had front parking sensors, which came on when parking.

I had reversed first then went forward - to straighten up.

I didnt have to push any buttons to get them to come on.

Could it be that if you select reverse and then go forward (slowly) that the front sensors operate.

The button would only be necessary if you were driving forwards (into a garage perhaps) having not selected reverse previously.

One of our test drive cars had front parking sensors, which came on when parking.

When you reverse the parking sensors come on automatically.

But they all come on together, you can't choose just back or front.

Hence why when you then go forwards they are on until you go over about 10mph.

When you reverse the parking sensors come on automatically.

But they all come on together, you can't choose just back or front.

Hence why when you then go forwards they are on until you go over about 10mph.

That was my experience :happy:

The OP mentioned the need to push a button which is why I suggested the drive forwards - push button - get warnings scenario, where reverse had not been selected.

I got the impression that OP thought you had to push button whenever you wanted to make use of front sensors.

If reverse is selected - both front and rear parking sensors come on

Front sensors can be selected by themselves by pushing button ( useful when driving forward into a garage or parking space)

Park assist is selected by pushing a different button, car has to be moving above a minimum speed

All sensors cancel once vehicle is going fast enough.

They work very well but I have to force myself to believe them !

Front sensors can be selected by themselves by pushing button ( useful when driving forward into a garage or parking space)

Front sensors can't be selected by themselves, only all parking sensors (back and front) are activated by pushing the button.

But I think that is what you may have meant.

Sorry to jump in here. There is no difference between engaging reverse and pressing the button.

They both activate both sets of sensors.

There is no separate control for the front sensors only.

Likewise pressing the button or driving over c.10km/h will deactivate both sets of sensors.

If you are pulling into a space forwards, you will need to use the front sensors first. The most logical way is by pressing the button, but it still activated both sets of sensors.

To illustrate this, park the front of the car close to a wall. Start the engine, engage reverse and the PDC will start beeping to warn you that the front is too close to the wall.

Front sensors can't be selected by themselves, only all parking sensors (back and front) are activated by pushing the button.

But I think that is what you may have meant.

Sorry to have caused more confusion :sweat:

As an addendum you can change the warning tones in the MFD.

With Park Assist I was surprised at how fast you have to be driving before you can activate it - and not an easy button to find without taking your eyes off the road .

Could it be that if you select reverse and then go forward (slowly) that the front sensors operate.

The button would only be necessary if you were driving forwards (into a garage perhaps) having not selected reverse previously.

Yes they do - or at least they do on mine. It's very useful.

Used it twice in 10k miles.

Both times just to show off though... so worth the extra 100 over the cost of the front sensors. :)

£195 extra on the configurator at the mo - looks like they've gone up.

So far I've found that with the front & rear sensors, the compact dimensions and the very tight turning circle I've been able to get into pretty small spaces without bother, so SM#2 just has front and rear sensors again. Can't say I wasn't tempted, but with the extra cost of an electric seat to get the auto-dimming wing mirrors (why, Skoda, why?) I felt restraint was sensible. :)