Shell V Power

Tell you what, not that I'm a big fan of watching the mpg all day long, but after using the above whilst in Liverpool for a few days (none locally in Cumbria) the average is at least 5mpg better, even around town !!

Fantastic stuff and well worth the money.

Compared to what fuel that you normally run with?

How much is the V Power costing you a Litre?

What is the actual Fuel Consumption you are getting now, on the computer from a re-set.

ie 10 minutes after starting driving from cold & running around town?

george

Is the v power better because of the cleaning agents it has in it for the improved mpg.I have run momentum for most of the time but I did run v.power to start with and did get 50+ mpg a couple of times but I would really struggle to get more than 47 mpg on momentum.

My Fabia vrs has only ever ran on vpower so can't really compare, however, I've mainly used vpower petrol or diesel in my previous cars and always noticed a significant improvement in performance. Most noticeably was my Pug 206 gti180, with vpower in it drove like a different car.

For the sake of a couple of quid extra on a tank, for me I can't understand why you wouldn't use it.

Why would you see a difference between BP and Shell? It all comes from here, Stanlow in Ellesmere port or down in Purfleet, you can drive past the refinery and see, Shell, BP, Texaco, Asda, Tesco, Esso and Gulf and so on all lined up next to each other filling up to deliver to the different filling stations.

I think BP and Shell are at 97 RON, where as Tesco offer 99 RON on there Momentum fuel.

I run Tesco in the Fabia VRs and I use BP ultimate diesel in the Yeti so as to accrue nectar points, at 50,000 miles a year they add up quick.

http://goo.gl/maps/UhwYQ

Why would you see a difference between BP and Shell? It all comes from here, Stanlow in Ellesmere port or down in Purfleet, you can drive past the refinery and see, Shell, BP, Texaco, Asda, Tesco, Esso and Gulf and so on all lined up next to each other filling up to deliver to the different filling stations.

I think BP and Shell are at 97 RON, where as Tesco offer 99 RON on there Momentum fuel.

I run Tesco in the Fabia VRs and I use BP ultimate diesel in the Yeti so as to accrue nectar points, at 50,000 miles a year they add up quick.

Are you saying that you think the different fuel companies are all filling their tankers from the same source i.e BP and Shell fuel is literally identical? I'm not sure that's true tbh

Are you saying that you think the different fuel companies are all filling their tankers from the same source i.e BP and Shell fuel is literally identical? I'm not sure that's true tbh

That is exactly what I am saying, there are 7 refineries in the UK, each refining different products from fuel for cars to heavy oils for ships and bitumen and tar at the extreme thick end others manufacture petri chemicals and hydro carbons.

Stanlow is in ellesmere port, if you drive along oil sites road you can see the loading gantry and there you will see all the different tankers loading up.

You will find fuel is fuel unless it is supermarket fuel as a high percentage of this is shipped in from Belgium, a few years ago contaminated fuel was an issue for Tesco in southern areas, this fuel was from Europe and distributed from Purfleet.

Fact mate, shocking I know.

Do they not get it from the same source but add their own additives?

I thought about putting Tesco Momentum in this evening but I've been using V-Power (petrol and diesel) and its predecessor since 2005 - if it ain't broken don't fix it. Tesco is 3p cheaper but makes no difference to me (save a quid a fill up).

I was once told that although they all fill up at the same refinery tap, they add their own unique additives. Don't know if they are put into the empty tankers before refinery fil up. Just what I was told. Think it. Was a similar thread on scoobynet a while ago.

me and jonny boy have to make do with BP ultimate most of the time, the esso garage is close to me, so I often use esso super... closest v-power is in penrith... miles away!

You'r lucky, I only have supermarket diesel to use, first decent fuel station from my house is an hour boat trip at £45 !!!

can you just confirm that the 97 RON BP ultimate and & 97RON esso super that I use are exactly the same as 99RON shell v-power?

can you just confirm that the 97 RON BP ultimate and & 97RON esso super that I use are exactly the same as 99RON shell v-power?

I struggle to believe that refined fuel from a large refinery is different, why would they have lots of different grades of diesel or petrol for different brands or filling stations?

There would be lots of different tanks! I can believe the theory of base fuel being produced and then different additives put in when it goes into a tanker, however 97 or 99 RON I don't think you would see or feel a difference anyway.

We rally an EVO 5 that runs 140 RON, this needed a re map to use the high octane fuel and even now it is only 30 BHP more powerful than on standard unleaded.

So in answer to your question, Shell may add a little more octane booster to the fuel at the tank filling stage but I seriously doubt you will see a difference, I run stander and super in the Fabia and have never noticed any difference.

• Like 1

The great thing about using VPower is that every quarter they send me a voucher, usually about £3.50 ish dependant on how much I use. This pays for at least one tank full price difference between it and using normal 95ron!! :rock:

• Like 1

James 1,

'140 RON', are you sure?

Where does this fuel come from & is this used in MSA events?

You are saying, lots of 'dont' think etc.

Maybe best to find out then for certain then you will be sure.

Wiki is not always right,

but it is a start, & then you can read a MSA Blue book or such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

You are buying Fuel here to meet a 'minimum standard', so it is not less than, but can exide.

Then you have Winter Fuel,

Diesel coming out of Depots and Refineries in Scotland slightly earlier than in the winter than it goes to the Filling Station down south.

Colder Regions of Mainland Europe are running different Fuels & Qualities.

Momentum is not just 95 ron with something mixed in the Tanker & neither is V Power.

george

120 Octane, typo sorry, yes it is used in MSA events and will be running on the woodpecker stages next week end.

I have read the blue book but never wiki, maybe I should.

quote "Momentum is not just 95 ron with something mixed in the Tanker & neither is V Power." I hear what you are saying but can you be certain?

I would have a small wager with you that all additives are introduced to standard fuel at the tanker filling stage.

£10 to a charity of our choice. If you will take that bet.

http://www.tesco.com...efits-specs.asp

I say for certain that,

'Tesco Momentum 99' is not a Fuel taken from the Tanks and with anything then put into the Tanker or filling station tank to make it 99 RON,

Additives 'are added at Depots' but 'not into the Tanker', (so you partly win your wager)

It is a formulated fuel meeting the Mnimum Standard and Produced as 'Momentum 99' before reaching any Tanker.

It has changes in the Formulation to meet the seasons in the UK.

george

OK, but in additional information it states "

Performance additives (detergents, etc.) are added as necessary at depots." is this done when the tanker is being loaded or when there are thousands of litres in a big tank?

I have it on good authority from a tanker driver that when they are loading under the gantry they have a plastic key, this key is inserted into a panel and depending on where the delivery is for will determine the number of lights on the panel that illuminate, so Asda, Tesco or Sainsbury cheap unleaded only one or two lights illuminate, when you get to Shell BP and Ultimate or Momentum more lights illuminate. Each light indicates something more than standard fuel going into the tanker, also just for interest diesel is always loaded hot, as it delivered by volume, this way the refinery makes a few more quid as when it cools there is less in the tanker.

I personally think we both have valid points but neither of us have access to a refinery loading gantry to see for ourselves, so how about we both put £10 in a charity box?

I struggle to believe that refined fuel from a large refinery is different, why would they have lots of different grades of diesel or petrol for different brands or filling stations?

Additives are added at the Pumps wether Petrol or Diesel

Base Petrol/Diesel is all the same when it gets delivered to the forecourts.

I was told this by a member on here who works for a Petrochemical company.

97 RON stuff from BP and Esso is not as good as 99RON Shell V power or Momentum 99.

My car (admittendly, not a Fabia) will not run as well on the 97 RON stuff. I have to switch to a map with a lower power output.

If I am paying more for better petrol, I use the 99 RON ones.