This is serious...

33q

I popped into my local dealer today just to look. Mrs 33Q attended and she does like the beast, especially in white. Tried an Urban and it's nice but being rather short found the sports seats difficult to get in and out of. I fancied an Elegance so a nearly new 170 was unlocked. Onyx seats seemed a bit hard and the car seemed a bit dark....dark blue outside and not my choice. A White with Gobi was then opened. Car much lighter but seats still seemed a bit hard. I returned the keys to the salesman with words like I quite like the White/Gobi with DSG and something about nearly new ones being like rocking horse droppings. To my surprise they had 5 unallocated DSGs. OK none on site but off the the list emerged a white SE plus DSG and no other extras.

So we tried an SE plus seat and it seemed the best for us.

Now what should I do? Should I wait for an Elegance in white plus a few bits or see if there's a deal on the SE plus?

What would I not get that's important on the SE? Replies welcome

What sort of discount? Tinternet...14% Dealer?

I think I may be sleeping with the brochure under my pillow!

Elegance probably only a good value upgrade if you value the leather seats. Xenon lights well thought of on here and better

Audio system a bonus if you like it's features but no 6 cd changer in dash.

I'm not so sure the leather used is of a high quality as some used Yeti's of around 1-2 yrs age I've seen appear to show rather stretched wrinkly leather on the seat cushions although they look the part brand new.

In general SE/SE+ a well specced mid range car.

Still undecided on our next choice of Yeti unless something else turns up as has been less than trouble free.. Lots of different

issues reported here so no fixed list of problems, but worrying in number non the less, but maybe you should expect this on an owners forum.

My experience of discounts is none at main dealers especially if you show you are too interested, but with the current economic climate I have seen reports that cars maybe harder to shift in the coming year and

this may drift down to include Yeti's.

Edited by kibby

My experience of discounts is none at main dealers especially if you show you are too interested, but with the current economic climate I have seen reports that cars maybe harder to shift in the coming year and this may drift down to include Yeti's.

There are discounts to be had (even on citigo's).

You just have to be persistent, and shop around.

There are a number of on line sites that will quote a price, you then put that in front of a dealer and ask them what they can do.

Often it depends on your location, if you live in an affluent area you may well be less likely to get a deal. Neither of my two nearest dealers would even discuss one. Take RRP or leave it was their approach.

After a bit of phoning around, we ended up with the spec below for less than ex demo cars were being sold.

I then went back to the same dealer this week for the citigo and got double what the next nearest in price quote was.

If you do a trade in therein lies the problem as they give it with one hand and take with the other.

So say high residual values appear not to be reflected in trade in values.

A bit like Parkers guide ...you can never buy from a main dealer at the books suggested price

Maybe I'm just a cr*p negotiator as I get the look they are doing me a favour at list...and think youself lucky

we will throw in a set of mats.

Any recommended dealers discount wise?

Edited by kibby

I don't think leather or Xenons is a big plus for me. I prefer the Nav though. I think it will depend on the deal. I have the relevant internet pages set up on my iphone.

Thanks for your input

If your main reason for going for an Elegance is the Sat Nav it works out at £2000 a set and it doesn't get a particularly good review on here.

DSG I love it!!!

Edited by kibby

Kibby

I meant I would rather have the SEplus with Nav than Elegance with leather. I wouldn't pay £2k for a Nav for the Elegance.

DSG is non negotiable......FULL STOP! Super piece of kit....IMHO

I was looking for an SE then found a good priced Elegance. After having had it for a year I love the bi-xenons and would get them on my next car but fairly indifferent on the leather seats. On my 4x4 I have used the off road button a few times in heavy snow with good effect on slippy downhills. I've also used the bluetooth much more than I thought I would (for music and voice).

As far as navigation goes my opinion is that a £120 tom tom (or Android Google Nav) still beats virtually all inbuilt nav systems (and I've used many...), the only exception being VAG high end 'google earth' nav, but that's not yet a Skoda option.

For the price of a Skoda nav system you can get a high end Android, with google street view navigation and unlimited data/online music streaming in the car for a few years!

Bluetooth is standard on SEplus and certainly is must for me. I use my current Parrot system quite a bit for music and phone. We have just returned from Jersey where we had a Fiesta Titanium with Bluetooth and for music it was superb.

I have nav on my iphone and a newish Tom Tom with traffic but I love the idea of built in being always there always available and hate faffing to set up the system each time.

Off Road....I don't think I will. My Tiguan didn't have off road and it still worked well in snow. In fact I wondered what all the fuss was about the first time as all around me were sliding about and I just kept going. In any case I'm now retired so having to go out in white stuff can usually be avoided.

Thank you Llanigraham....no-one seems to be responding to my emails to the brokers currently...so better not count chickens etc

Try the following if your looking for a deal;

Lee Harrison at Preston Motors - 0208 534 0981

[email protected]

Or Beth at Allams - 01372 736502

[email protected]

might find that unallocated SE Plus your interested in, is sat at Emden or Grimsby docks, which therefore could be accessed by any dealer.

Regards,

TP

The worse thing about the SE (In my opinion) is that it doesn't come with lumber support on the front seats.

It's such a cheap optonal extra, but does make the seats more comfortable.

When I bought an SE I was told by the dealer they suggest it to all SE buyers. But most of the ones that are available from Skoda UK stock don't have it.

Elegance probably only a good value upgrade if you value the leather seats. Xenon lights well thought of on here and better

Audio system a bonus if you like it's features but no 6 cd changer in dash.

I have a 6 CD changer in my Elegance as standard and the seats are not hard, they are firm :-)

Whatever Yeti you choose I am sure you will be happy with it.

Kibby

I meant I would rather have the SEplus with Nav than Elegance with leather. I wouldn't pay £2k for a Nav for the Elegance.

DSG is non negotiable......FULL STOP! Super piece of kit....IMHO

I changed my 2010 140 Elegance 4x4 in July for a new 140 SE Plus in white with DSG. We then almost immediately took the car to Austria - it had arrived 2 months early.

I think it's considerably better than our earlier Elegance but that could just be down to extra product development.

The DSG is tremendous.

The Amundsen+ Sat Nav may not have all the features of the top TomTom but it's more than good enough, especially the act hat you get navigation instructions on the maxidot. And you don't have to keep removing the head unit from the sight of thieves.

John

The sat nav on Maxi dot would certainly help, I only have the Bolereo but If I need SN I use either my phone or a Garmin, I take your point on SN theft but a wipe with a cloth after use removes the tell tail SN suction ring. I think SN thefts are not quite as common as they used to be though due to the fall in cost and the availability on smart phones but had I had the choice on a new car the convenience may sway me.

Well I said it was serious. I have just returned from signing up for a new 140 SE Plus DSG in White. Hopefully take delivery in about a week's time. It is a stock car hence the short lead time. Only extra is a spare wheel.

For the code experts its currently code 40. Then code 70, then mine.

I am sure I will be using this forum even more. Need to sort out a tow bar and I will check previous posts before issuing yet another new topic on the forum.

For the moment thank you all for the journey so far.

• 2 months later...