winter tyres

Oilrag

It's surprising how much of a beating alloy wheels can take. I've bent steel wheels before but not managed to do more than cosmetic damage to alloys. Oilrag, those 205/55R16's are an inch smaller than your 225/50R17's. You'll be driving about 5% slower than you think you are. 205/60R16's are pretty close. Is anyone here running 205/60R16's?

205/60R16's are pretty close. Is anyone here running 205/60R16's?

Yes indeed, Goodyear Ultragip 7+. This size offers the advantages of cheaper tyres over 215/60 whilst providing the 'full' side profile to provide additional cushioning effect. Near as makes no difference identical rolling circumference to the originals and they fill out the arches better that the 205/55 tyres too. As far as I'm concerned a win-win situation all round.

As it happens I really didn't want to diminish (IMHO) the look of the car so I purchased some black Borbet alloys to fit them on. Black Borbets on a black car, very Knightrider-ish (only taller!)

If you fit 60/17 tyres you will get very close to part of the front suspension leg. I wonder if the circumference of a tyre grows much with centrifugal force as the clearance looks quite tight.

Gjay, have you got any photos of that? I want to put 205/60R16's on my (black) scout and keep wondering what dark wheels will do for it.

Unfortunately despite my best intentions last winter I never did get round to taking photos to share on the forum. However I can do better! Head on over to http://configurator.automotivewheels.co.uk/ where you can pick your car and fit just about any wheel and tyre combination you choose and see what it looks like, this was originally part of the Borbet website, I guess they've expanded. I really found it extremely useful when picking my wheels and tyres (from an aesthetic perspective).

Just had a play with that site....................

Why doesn't anyone make a nice "minilite" copy any more? I reckon they would look brilliant. All the ones on there look too "fragile" with thin spokes.

I use winter tyres but why do I seem to be the only forum member to stick with my OE size of 225/50 17?

I don't feel I need narrower tyres for driving regularly in fresh snow, just better all round grip in cold/wet conditions and I want to keep the taught handling of my Yeti as it is.

Oilrag - I appreciate you cite 'budgetary constraint' as the reason for going for 16s with whatever size and I appreciate that, say, a 215/60 16 is maybe £40 per tyre less than a 225/50 17 but look at it this way - if you don't get winter tyres you'll be wearing out your OE 225/50 17s so its really just a case of getting a second set of these and swapping them over twice a year. Overall cost in ££££s per 1,000 miles will be the same.

Wheels? Yes; you need these as extra, my recommendation would be the used alloy from ebay route.

• Like 1

I definitely will go for 215/65 R16 (on steels).

Here's one: http://www.drive2.ru...30376152569432/

That would be too great a difference in diameter/circumference to be acceptable in the UK (4.4%). Not to mention the car would most likely handle like a jelly going around bendy bits even accepting an overall reduction in speed in winter.

the car would most likely handle like a jelly going around bendy bits

I don't think so.

I own a Mitsubishi L300 on 30x9,50 R15's (original size 235/75R15), not the "sportiest" ride but still ok to drive. Yeti will handle like a Formula 1 even on 215/65's compared to my L300.

L300-and-Yeti.jpg

Edited by Hirundo

Is anyone here running 205/60R16's?

Yes. I ran Goodyear Ultra Grip 8 205/60 R16 96H XL on steels last winter and they were excellent. Someone else here used 205/60 R16s the previous winter and also found them fully satisfactory.

I don't think so.

I own a Mitsubishi L300 on 30x9,50 R15's (original size 235/75R15), not the "sportiest" ride but still ok to drive. Yeti will handle like a Formula 1 even on 215/65's compared to my L300.

You might be right although I'd be wary of comparing the handling of two very different vehicles with entirely different suspension set ups and damping. I can only go by my own experience last winter when negotiating a relatively tight left hander with a falling away camber a little too briskly on the 60 profile tyres (winter boots so softer rubber than 'summers') which gave me some cause for concern (Britsh understatement). Personally much as the additional profile might suit the looks of the Yeti (and yes I think 65 profile suits it well), for normal road use I wouldn't consider going higher than 60 profile.

Edited by GJay

//Personally much as the additional profile might suit the looks of the Yeti (and yes I think 65 profile suits it well), for normal road use I wouldn't consider going higher than 60 profile.//

It's not for the looks, but extra cm-s in ground clearance - loads of snow here in Estonia in winter... :whew:

Edited by Hirundo
  • Like 1

Quicky for the experts.......

Will 16" rims from an Audi A6/VW Passat or those from a T4 Caravelle fit Dewi?

Hi Graham

The link below will answer your question for you, the A6 is a yes

http://www.wheelfitment.eu/car/Skoda/Yeti%20(2009%20-%20)/

Sidewall height alone won't cause any handling problems, especially not in the small range you are talking about. It's just a small part of the total setup. The next set of tyres for my 4wd with be 85 profile, sidewall flex on that has never been an issue and I've had it sliding around the tarmac during emergency maneuvers. Traction is an issue, sprung weight transfer a big issue, tyre flex is a minor player. The important part is knowing how your vehicle will react and driving it accordingly.

Sidewall height alone won't cause any handling problems, especially not in the small range you are talking about. It's just a small part of the total setup. The next set of tyres for my 4wd with be 85 profile, sidewall flex on that has never been an issue and I've had it sliding around the tarmac during emergency maneuvers. Traction is an issue, sprung weight transfer a big issue, tyre flex is a minor player. The important part is knowing how your vehicle will react and driving it accordingly.

I didn't say there would be handling 'problems'. I still cannot see going as far as 65 is necessary as any capability increase over 60's would be tiny and the further you move away from oe the more than handling will change.

Just bought a set of Speedline 7J X 16 alloy wheels as fitted to an Audi A6, with the intention of fitting a set of winter tyres, Continental WinterContact TS 830P 215/60 R16 99H XL.

The wheels have a centre bore size of 63.4mm, so I have ordered some conversion spigot rings to reduce the size down to the Yeti 57.1mm wheel stub.

Questions:

Can I use the original Yeti wheel bolts?

Does anyone know if there is a Skoda (or plain) wheel cap that would be suitable? The original Audi ones plug into the centre of the wheel (63.4 mm) and have any outer diameter of about 148 mm, covering the wheel bolts.