remolded tires(winter) what do you think?

IulianE

• 1 month later...

Today I put my new retreaded tires on the car.The weather is dry but cold.

I'm very happy,they run excellent...very quiet,took them to 180 kph,are smooth as silk,seriously

Needed small balancing lead....2 wheels 15grams,one 10grams and one 35 grams.....and remember they are retreaded tires.My symmer Good Year tyres need 35-65 grams of lead to balance properly.

I'm waiting for some snow,but I'm quite sure they will grip good

• Like 1

I've said many times on here, we've had Colway Remolds on our precious cars and would buy them again if Colway hadn't gone bust 5 years ago. Their Summer tyres used Avon Rubber with a Michelin tread patten. I would probably trust MaxSport remoulds as they are used in Motorsport.

P.S. if you buy second hand winters, remember 4mm is considered the minimum level for use in snow. Some new Winter tyres have a wear indicator at this 4mm.

Ive tried loads of remoulds over the years on various different cars, colways were always great, but the compound was variable, sometimes hard, sometimes soft. Ive got Avon Ice Touring (45 pounds each) on the fabia at the moment, they are fab, can't fault them. I've also got Kingpin KMS4's (25 pounds each) on the octavia and cant fault them either. They are only P speed rated (93 mph) but the chances of my car ever reaching that speed are negligible, so they are fine. I ran them last winter and have just put them back on ready for this winter. No appreciable difference in road noise, but the braking is much better when its cold, and worse when it's warm, but that winter tyres for you! They need to be cold to work properly.

I run kingpin KMV2 on the car during the summer, they are great too, never had any problems with the 8 tyres i've gone through so far, but they don't last. I got 30,000 miles out of some Goodyear Eagles, and Continentals, but have only managed 16,000 out of the kingpins. Half the price but also half the life!

They are only P speed rated (93 mph) but the chances of my car ever reaching that speed are negligible, so they are fine.

Doesn't matter. Your car is capable of more. Therefore your tyres are VERY illegal. That's a pretty hefty fine you're potentially looking at there, PER TYRE!

Doesn't matter. Your car is capable of more. Therefore your tyres are VERY illegal. That's a pretty hefty fine you're potentially looking at there, PER TYRE!

You sure about that ?

It's a requirement that the load index is the same or higher, but not found anything about speed index being a requirement in the UK

Also illegal to use a tyre beyond tyre spec (eg space saver above 50mph), but P cat tyres beyond UK NSL.

It might well invalidate your insurance though (tyre specification below that stated by manufacturer), unless you've doubled checked - some insurers like to weasel

Tye info

Rubbish.

The speed limit is 70 in the UK, so they won't do you for the tyres as reaching their limit would be seriously breaking the speed limit. They'd do you for that instead.

The insurance might try to say something, but again, if you were driving to a speed limit then it's not an issue and if not, they'll probably have something to say about that instead.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

You sure about that ?

It's a requirement that the load index is the same or higher, but not found anything about speed index being a requirement in the UK

Also illegal to use a tyre beyond tyre spec (eg space saver above 50mph), but P cat tyres beyond UK NSL.

It might well invalidate your insurance though (tyre specification below that stated by manufacturer), unless you've doubled checked - some insurers like to weasel

Tye info

Actually, no, not totally, but insurers have and will invalidate based on this in the event of an accident, guaranteed. Speed ratings are there for power, and driving style, not just to do with basic forward running speed. A car capable of 147mph running on 93mph rated tyres is just insane, and not to do with outright speed, especially since they definitely won't conform to original specs.

According to these guys we will definately need winter tyres this year!

http://www.exactawea...e_Forecast.html

It should be said however, that other forecast models paint a picture of a mild winter!

Cheers, Terry

It might be true but I'll believe it when I see it. They cannot predict further than 2-3 weeks with any certainty at all.

Edited by Frisco

not disputing its not a good idea generally to use the wrong spec of tyre

Playing devils advocate here, I guess the logic of the law would be that with the same load index, adhereing to the NSL, the tyre should brake within legally defined distance.

If something is legal, could be an interesting arguement with the insurers - I'm assuming you're still covered on space savers

I guess its why space savers are legal here - how many time do you see folks way over 50 on them ? :rofl:

Just because somethings legal, doesn't mean its safe - eg 1.6mm min tyre tread is loopy imo

Wonder though, which is safer in winter conditions - summer tyres of correct spec with no traction, or out of spec winters with traction ?

• Like 1

Totally depends on the level of winter conditions I guess... we've forgotten what real winters are over here! :D

I haven't forgotten that one in the 90's when all our village was without water and electricity for a week we

filled the bath with snow for boiling down to make fresh drinking water just as the bloody water came back

on had to then empty the bath again ggrrrrrr. My dad was working all Day and all night every night for a week

got 2 hours sleep i think reinstating the power by fixing the overhead lines that had been brought down by the

snow. It was the worst i can remember.