Would you buy a new Octavia VRS...?

+1 my missus loves driving my vRS DSG much to my annoyance

Should have given my mrs a chance to drive one before ordering manual. She was dubious about it, worried about it in the snow and the dealer told her it wasn't as economical.

Should have given my mrs a chance to drive one before ordering manual. She was dubious about it, worried about it in the snow and the dealer told her it wasn't as economical.

I think the economy is so marginal it matters not. Plus Economy comparisons assume the driver in the manual car is in the optimal gear at the right time. Certainly something my missus never seems to be. DSG means the optimal gear will always be selected for economy if in "D" mode anyway. Sometimes i almost want to grab the gearlever myself when she is driving, if i had a clutch on my side i probably would. There is no telling her though.

Wow, I wasn't expecting this thread to dip into the finance too :)

Once again, thanks everyone for your comments. We'll be receiving settlement figures in the next week or so, and with the missus still to try the Superb, we won't be making any decisions just yet (executive or otherwise ;) )

If the good ladys unsure look at the companies who do driver training on race tracks or somewhere like Bruntingthorpe, Im sure a deal can be done for an Instructor to spend an hour with her in your car on a circuit or Airfield

I paid for a one on one session at Bruntingthorpe for my Son about a year after he passed his test, just him and an Ex F1 driver on the track, let him loose in the Abarth & the 350, he learnt so much including how quickly it can all go wrong. Definately made him a better driver

Edited by Stuart_J

I wouldt buy a new car no matter what the circumstances unless its something to plan to never get rid of, that is the only way to ensure that you do not lose money but then you could just buy one thats a year or two old and still save big money and for a car that is pretty much in nearly condition.

As someone mentioned dont buy the vRS just yet as they will be bringing a new one out pretty soon ish. The only time i see fit to buy any car is either when it first comes out, to have the exclusivity of a new car and/or reg or if you are really not fussed about having the lastest possible model then go to buy one literally last second before the face lift or new version comes out, the dealer discounts can be good when they want to sell off all the 'old' shape.

When it comes to buying a car let the looks take a back seat, do you want a new vRS because of the CR engine? Or the very small difference between a pre FL and an FL, if the answer is no then get the older one, once it has passed through the initial depreciation phases.

I wouldt buy a new car no matter what the circumstances unless its something to plan to never get rid of, that is the only way to ensure that you do not lose money but then you could just buy one thats a year or two old and still save big money and for a car that is pretty much in nearly condition.

As someone mentioned dont buy the vRS just yet as they will be bringing a new one out pretty soon ish. The only time i see fit to buy any car is either when it first comes out, to have the exclusivity of a new car and/or reg or if you are really not fussed about having the lastest possible model then go to buy one literally last second before the face lift or new version comes out, the dealer discounts can be good when they want to sell off all the 'old' shape.

When it comes to buying a car let the looks take a back seat, do you want a new vRS because of the CR engine? Or the very small difference between a pre FL and an FL, if the answer is no then get the older one, once it has passed through the initial depreciation phases.

Contradiction.

Surely it depends if you want a well specced mkII or a more basic mkIII (which will be a new car, not a facelift) when they come out.

So it's down to the personal preference of the driver/owner if they want an older model cheap car or the snazzy new model for more money or a lower spec.

I would keep the Suberb though.

It's a better car and it makes more financial sense.

With regards to PCP deals... oh how I really don't like them for private customers.

Sure they suit some people, keep your monthly payments lower and enable you to drive a better car than you can afford to buy.

But you end up paying far more in finance charges because you are paying interest on the whole GMFV for the term of the deal where on a HP the amount outstanding reduces much quicker meaning you pay far less interest.

Had a chat with an Audi dealer once and they love them.

It their eyes it means people can drive a car they can't afford to own, so get tied into paying a lot of interest and at the end of the term have to start the whole thing over again or take out another loan to buy the car... meaning they pay finance for around 6+ years on one vehicle. No wonder they call it the "never never" because you never stop paying.

Contradiction.

How? Read it again.

If he is not bothered about having the latest model then get the 'old' one just before the new on comes out?

If he is buying a brand fire new vRS now and the new version (which i have not even heard about yet) comes out in say a year then its pointless, you might aswell wait. Youll be paying top money for a car that will depreciate faster then buying a vRS any other time. If he no intention on selling the vRS for many many years and running it into the ground then yeah go for it buy a new one but in order to keep as much money as possibly then either A, buy 2nd hand B, buy new and keep .

Nothing annoys me more then when i see a 62 plate Ford Fiesta (or the latest shape that has been around equally aslong) He could of bough the exact same car a year older and saved himself a few grand or go even older and buy the ex fiance cars (3-5years) and save himself even more. Its madness

How? Read it again.

If he is not bothered about having the latest model then get the 'old' one just before the new on comes out?

If he is buying a brand fire new vRS now and the new version (which i have not even heard about yet) comes out in say a year then its pointless, you might aswell wait. Youll be paying top money for a car that will depreciate faster then buying a vRS any other time. If he no intention on selling the vRS for many many years and running it into the ground then yeah go for it buy a new one but in order to keep as much money as possibly then either A, buy 2nd hand B, buy new and keep .

Nothing annoys me more then when i see a 62 plate Ford Fiesta (or the latest shape that has been around equally aslong) He could of bough the exact same car a year older and saved himself a few grand or go even older and buy the ex fiance cars (3-5years) and save himself even more. Its madness

You did contradict yourself.

Some people have a limited period to own a car i.e me. I cant keep a car for more than 5 years meaning buying a 1-2 year old car results in having a shorter time frame to pay it off. For that reason PCP works for me as i have to replace my car whether i wanted to or not so an end of line heavily discounted model is the best option i.e have full 5 years to pay it off, maximum warranty for that period, good pcp deal as they are better on brand new cars compared to 2nd hand. I canm actually pay it off in 3.5 yeras and run it for nothing untill its 5 years old. Couldnt do that for the same money on the new model as it wont be VAT free. Everyone is different with different circumstances so its only madness for you not everyone else.

Actually it wasn't a contridiction.

If you read the original post parts you quoted in red again it says:

"dont buy the vRS just yet as they will be bringing a new one out pretty soon ish"

"buy one literally last second before the face lift or new version comes out"

Which is not a contridiction, it's saying don't buy the mkII now, get it as late as possible to the mkIII coming out for a better deal.

I'm not saying that's right or wrong in theory, but it's not a contridiction.

• Like 1

Actually it wasn't a contridiction.

If you read the original post parts you quoted in red again it says:

"dont buy the vRS just yet as they will be bringing a new one out pretty soon ish"

"buy one literally last second before the face lift or new version comes out"

Which is not a contridiction, it's saying don't buy the mkII now, get it as late as possible to the mkIII coming out for a better deal.

I'm not saying that's right or wrong in theory, but it's not a contridiction.

Thats how I read it and I agree, not yet but soon... the deals will be very good Im betting once the Mk3 is almost with us. :)

You did contradict yourself.

Some people have a limited period to own a car i.e me. I cant keep a car for more than 5 years meaning buying a 1-2 year old car results in having a shorter time frame to pay it off. For that reason PCP works for me as i have to replace my car whether i wanted to or not so an end of line heavily discounted model is the best option i.e have full 5 years to pay it off, maximum warranty for that period, good pcp deal as they are better on brand new cars compared to 2nd hand. I canm actually pay it off in 3.5 yeras and run it for nothing untill its 5 years old. Couldnt do that for the same money on the new model as it wont be VAT free. Everyone is different with different circumstances so its only madness for you not everyone else.

Right well that makes pretty much 0% sense to me, iv been fortunate enough never to need fiance on any of my cars but this is through choice, if i was rock bottom with only a couple hundred quid id sooner buy a banger then use it for a deposit on a new car. However i do understand there are some good deals to be had on new car compared to older cars, the whole 0% VAT thing Skoda did or still doing but or logic it all to pot.

You cannot possibly say to me that for example i go out and put a deposit on the brand new Octavia of £3000, say the Octavia is worth £20,000, you have £17,000 to pay off with APR around 8% (that is a complete stab in the dark!) Or i go out put the same deposit on a 3 year old Octavia that has lost the bulk of its value and it now worth about £10,000 you only have £7,000 left to pay off, yes it may have a higher APR and be VAT valid but in the long run your saving yourself a huge sum there. Yes its 3 years old but id 90% of PCP cars are main dealer serviced have low mileage all due to terms of the fiance. I seriously do not see the point of buying brand new UNLESS you are going to keep it for its whole life or you must simply have the latest model or new model, Citigo/Yeti for example, where there is no older version

How many last minute octavias will the be?

Some dealer stock but I guess you may have to be quick to grab one if they manage carefully some dealers may not even bother with stock.

Skoda seem to run out models in a very controlled way these days, they have allready cut many variations, have started the limited run specials to boost sales and keep the production line running.

These specials seem to be using stock readily available componants and have very short lead times, if they sell well they can always do another run using up other bits from the parts bins.

As most production lines can now build for multiple markets(and possibly multiple models) they can rundown production for the UK limiting surplus stock.

Right well that makes pretty much 0% sense to me, iv been fortunate enough never to need fiance on any of my cars but this is through choice, if i was rock bottom with only a couple hundred quid id sooner buy a banger then use it for a deposit on a new car. However i do understand there are some good deals to be had on new car compared to older cars, the whole 0% VAT thing Skoda did or still doing but or logic it all to pot.

You cannot possibly say to me that for example i go out and put a deposit on the brand new Octavia of £3000, say the Octavia is worth £20,000, you have £17,000 to pay off with APR around 8% (that is a complete stab in the dark!) Or i go out put the same deposit on a 3 year old Octavia that has lost the bulk of its value and it now worth about £10,000 you only have £7,000 left to pay off, yes it may have a higher APR and be VAT valid but in the long run your saving yourself a huge sum there. Yes its 3 years old but id 90% of PCP cars are main dealer serviced have low mileage all due to terms of the fiance. I seriously do not see the point of buying brand new UNLESS you are going to keep it for its whole life or you must simply have the latest model or new model, Citigo/Yeti for example, where there is no older version

Didnt read all the above as my head started to hurt. I see what you mean about your posts now i thought you meant waiting for the new octy and not buying current one as you did contradict that shortly after. I'll let you off :)

The point i was trying to make about buying a brand new end of line car is that its cheaper, the fact its brand new means i can keep it 5 years and i get maximum benefit from warranty. 2 year old cars has to be sold after 3 years, for me anyway. I did the sums and buying a brand new car with effectively £4000 grand off it made more sense than buying a 2nd hand car that had depreciated by £4000 as i had longer to finance it. Its irrelevant to me if the car get replaced by newer model its all about how long i can keep it and how cheap i can get it for to start with. I will be able to run my car nor for 1.5 years with no repayments to make on it but i'll still be getting my full car allowance. Could do that i suppose with older car but then there is no warranty and if you do the sums if doesnt make any difference in the end. The reason for this is due to the money off the new car. If there was no vat offer i wouldnt have done it.

I never need to own a car outright as its needs to be replaced within a timescale. This is what PCP is geared towards and it takes a lot of hassle out of the equation come change time. The beauty of this current deal means i can actually manage to pay it off completely because i have the time to do it as the car is brand new.

I never need to own a car outright as its needs to be replaced within a timescale. This is what PCP is geared towards and it takes a lot of hassle out of the equation come change time. The beauty of this current deal means i can actually manage to pay it off completely because i have the time to do it as the car is brand new.

If you are paying for the car completely I.e. clearing the finance, then PCP is a less than ideal way to do it. You pay more total interest than the same car on HP.

PCP doesn't work well if you want to own the car.

If you are paying for the car completely I.e. clearing the finance, then PCP is a less than ideal way to do it. You pay more total interest than the same car on HP.

I wanst planning on owning it. My current PCP deal has a GFV payment. Because the car was discounted i am able to clear it in the term for the same monthly payment as i was paying for my last car even though my last car had a £10000 final payment thats what i meant. Old payment was £452/month. New payment is £300/month. The extra £150/month will virtually clear the car in the term if i need it to. I did it this way as i may need the extra £150 each month for nappies as we have new addition to the family. Thats why i didnt go down the full Hp route as then my payments are set. At least i now have flexibility as i dont yet know how hard it will be financially with the wee one. If i need the £150 each month to make ends meet then at least im no worse off than i was before. If i dont need it then the car gets paid off = bonus. Either way im saving money compared to last car.

This is why PCP deals work for some and not for others. Thats why you cant say one method of payment is madness as you dont know eveyones circumstances.

Edited by Jockdooshbag

Forgot to say skoda did all the sums for me and yes there is a slight financial penalty doing it the way im doing it but its so small as to make it irrelevant. What i now have is a very flexible option for the financially unknown coming few years. Full HP wouldnt give me that and i certainly didnt want to use up all my savings in case i needed it for whatever may occur i.e missus car could pack up.

Arent there further advantages if you take the pcp option ie free servicing for three years - got to be worth in excess of £500 id have thought? I'll take the VW finance at 8.5% or whatever it is, get the free servicing, make one months payment on the scheme and then pay it off or take out a 5.9% loan to pay it with no penalty. :)

Forgot to say skoda did all the sums for me and yes there is a slight financial penalty doing it the way im doing it but its so small as to make it irrelevant. What i now have is a very flexible option for the financially unknown coming few years. Full HP wouldnt give me that and i certainly didnt want to use up all my savings in case i needed it for whatever may occur i.e missus car could pack up.

The penalty is a year or twos worth of nappies, but if its worth that to you for the flexibility, then that's all that matters.

Babies aren't cheap, mines 3 months now!! :)

Good luck

Arent there further advantages if you take the pcp option ie free servicing for three years - got to be worth in excess of £500 id have thought? I'll take the VW finance at 8.5% or whatever it is, get the free servicing, make one months payment on the scheme and then pay it off or take out a 5.9% loan to pay it with no penalty. :)

Nope, all available on HP too.

Don't clear the PCP after one month...make a bulk payment of the full balance minus about £10. This way it saves you the interest termination penalty, about £100. Better in your pocket than theirs.

• Like 1

The penalty is a year or twos worth of nappies, but if its worth that to you for the flexibility, then that's all that matters.

Babies aren't cheap, mines 3 months now!! :)

Good luck

I think the difference between full HP and my deal was a few hundred quid. But over 3.5 years i can stomach that for the flexibility it gives me.

Mines 4 months now. I thought he missus was treating herself everytime she went to shops as i kept checking online banking statements. Then i went with her one night. OMG. £75 and we bought feck all. This baby thing is a racket. Might have to stop buying the dog chew sticks, they are bloddy expensive also. Starting to look at my sky package also. What a penny pincher im turning into, i used to spend money for fun. The really depressing thing though is that the missus is a horsey person. You know what that means seeing as wee have a wee girl. It doesnt bear thinking about.

The missus and I are thinking that, as we no longer need two cars, we might swap our Fabia and Superb for either a Yeti, or an Octavia VRS.

We've driven them both and like them both for different reasons, although I'll have to come to terms with far fewer toys which ever we go for.

Anyway, my dealer has advised me that the new Octavia is due out in March 2013, with the new VRS due in June 2013 (yep, just 3 months later). He showed me a flyer from SkokaUK which gave the programme for new cars over the next two years. I appreciate that dates can slip, but the Rapid was listed as November and that still seems to be the case, so no slippage there.

The question in the back of our minds is whether buying a current Octy VRS would be like throwing our money down the drain? Ok, I know that cars are updated/facelifted more frequently these days, but with it being just 6-9 months away, it could make quite a difference to the trade-in value in say another 12 to 18 months.

So, we're just a bit stuck, as we thought the manual VRS was a great car to drive (albeit with hardly any toys).

Any thoughts...?

Hi,

If you look at the price of the new skoda Rapid 1.6 diesel costing £17,000 god knows what the new octavia vrs next summer will be.

Hi,

If you look at the price of the new skoda Rapid 1.6 diesel costing £17,000 god knows what the new octavia vrs next summer will be.

If the Rapid diesel costs £17k I can't see them shifting many whilst the Octavia II is still VAT free

• Like 1