Egr cleaning

Trev.

Basically my vrs smokes quite badly, isnt remapped, got the cat in, so im going to change the maf sensor as mpg is down, and im going to clean egr, but, how easy is it to do? Couple of bolts? Or quite tricky? Does anybody have a step by step guide?

Regards

Any loosened crud would go into the engine. Not, I would have thought, a good idea.

Yup; take it off. I'd also suggest that the windscreen is not a safe place to put any pieces you take off - put everything in a box and, if possible, put things in the order that you took them off.

• Like 2

That will not clean the egr, the egr needs to come off and be cleaned and scrubbed ideally with a tooth brush and some sort of solution. The gunk and oil will not come off with with just spraying it.... all that will do is get rid of the light soot.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What's the difference removing from a BLT? As that's what mine is.

Mione is a BLT and the same as above I do believe.

I took off any pipes nearby that could, black one on left side of engine for a start.

3 bolts on the ASV, 2 underneath for the EGR pipe then another one for the EGR, a 10mm spanner is needed. Fiddly but not that hard.

It was a bit of a time consuming job I found and leaning over the engine bay gave me back ache :)

I actually took off my entire manifold to clean that too, which added some further hassle and used a whole big can of manifold cleaner.

Then again probably won't do it again before either selling the car or running her into the ground....

The far bolt is the pain in the arse where it bolts to the EGR...as said once loosened off then you can kind of slide it carefully for more access but would probably be ideal with one of those small knuckle sockets because the hassle is the angle you have to get on it.

To be honest it seemed more or less obvious other than that. It about 3/5 on the haynes scale I would say.

I just cleaned mine in situ as the egr wasn't that bad...in fact really the manifold wasn't that bad either.

Probably because of my fashion of driving to that point which involved long motorway style driving at good speeds, instead of stop start urban.

Did seem to drive better following my clean out though, or was that just the placebo of having done work on it, I'm not sure.

It was a bit of a time consuming job I found and leaning over the engine bay gave me back ache :)

I actually took off my entire manifold to clean that too, which added some further hassle and used a whole big can of manifold cleaner.

Then again probably won't do it again before either selling the car or running her into the ground....

The far bolt is the pain in the arse where it bolts to the EGR...as said once loosened off then you can kind of slide it carefully for more access but would probably be ideal with one of those small knuckle sockets because the hassle is the angle you have to get on it.

To be honest it seemed more or less obvious other than that. It about 3/5 on the haynes scale I would say.

I just cleaned mine in situ as the egr wasn't that bad...in fact really the manifold wasn't that bad either.

Probably because of my fashion of driving to that point which involved long motorway style driving at good speeds, instead of stop start urban.

Did seem to drive better following my clean out though, or was that just the placebo of having done work on it, I'm not sure.

How hard is the manifold to remove?

Best cleaner if you're cleaning your manifold and egr is actually paint thinners.

However... I done my EGR with a small pressure pot soda blaster. Took about 45 minutes and there's no way i'd have done it this clean with a liquid cleaner.

89be62a2.jpg

bb958f2d.jpg

c5989e16.jpg

314dfe81.jpg

7a8386a8.jpg

ae975910.jpg

3c12306a.jpg

Edited by Bazmcc