Is my DSG working correctly

nokiauk

Had my 140 DSG for a couple of months now and am currently building up the milage however some observations

1. It seems to hold gears going up hill for ages i.e. will stay in 3rd rather than change to 4th even though the revs can be 3-3.5k (gets a bit noisy)

2. Every time I want to accelerate (not rapidly) it changes down 1 but usually 2 gears and this is met with high revs and rapid acceleration, if I'd been in a manual I'd have let the torque do the work.

It seems to think there is a petrol engine and if I had a VRS then the noise and rapid acceleration may be fine but I've a diesel DSG and just want lazy refined driving, I appreciate if I want to make a rapid change of pace the above (2) could happen which would then be fine.

I've had a DSG before (1.4 Golf GT 160bhp) but as far as I can recall it never behaved like this!

My DSG, albeit on a vw California beaves just as you describe. Accelerating up a hill today on the autobahn dropped to 5 from 7th until got to steady speed and to 6th with 7th just behind. If take foot off throttle will go up a gear and then hold that speed. I also tend to use the cruise to get me back up to my 120kph cruising speed and just the thing do it's own thing. The high revs is of course a relative thing, 3.5k rpm isn't a lot in my book, and actually sounds quite nice. Bottom line, seems okay and mirrors my DSG , bi-turbo beast.

I often experience what you're saying, nokiauk. Living in a fairly hilly area I quite often think as you do. I think it's what they would call 'normal'. Use the manual side of it if you wish and see if it's better...I sometimes do but often find the gear changes aren't too far out from what we might have done ourselves. Often when going down a steepish incline it will change down on it's own as though to try to get some engine braking. It has a mind of it's own and at least it doesn't get dementia like we do :-)

1. It seems to hold gears going up hill for ages i.e. will stay in 3rd rather than change to 4th even though the revs can be 3-3.5k (gets a bit noisy)

If you switch over to manual mode, will the engine take the higher gear without labouring? Another thing to try is backing off the accelerator very slightly: this can trigger the change.

will the engine take the higher gear without labouring?.........agreed, this is a very fair question as I quite often find that when I do as you suggest, it might well be close to labouring and justifies itself. But I also very much take nokiauk's original point...maybe it has something to do with the fact that it is a 1200cc engine and it's these, slightly stretching, conditions that serve to remind that it's a smallish engine?

The OP says he has a 140 which is a 2 litre diesel engine with plenty of torque.

You're not pulling it through D to S, are you? (I'm sure you're not, but someone's got to ask..... :| )

I'm afraid not

If you switch over to manual mode, will the engine take the higher gear without labouring? Another thing to try is backing off the accelerator very slightly: this can trigger the change.

I will try this

Thanks or the replies, will do some further testing, may just be the nature of the box, esp if others get the same symptoms

My remapped DSG will generally pull a higher gear than my pervious one from a '06 Octavia,on the flat or up a hill.

It does seem to depend on the fuel I use as well. V-Power diesel will let the car go up the same hill in a higher gear than Fuelsave under the same conditions.

It will sometimes drop down a gear as the OP describes, but generally is fine. Most of the time it is in the right gear. If not a click on a flappy paddle and all is well!!

To Oldstan re going downhill. The DSG will change down to a lower gear as you go down s steep hill generally to 3rd providing engine braking. This is normal and what it should do!

I discovered, by accident last night, in manual and 1st gear driving forwards quite slowly, if you stick it in reverse the car stops VERY quickly! :o

Not me but SWMBO.

Easy mistake to make having never driven an auto before, let alone a DSG?

I discovered, by accident last night, in manual and 1st gear driving forwards quite slowly, if you stick it in reverse the car stops VERY quickly! :o

Not me but SWMBO.

Easy mistake to make having never driven an auto before, let alone a DSG?

No different to doing the same in a manual in reality tho'

The DSG uses a "fuzzy logic" system whereby it will learn how you drive and change the shift points accordingly. I notice the difference if I have been pulling the caravan and go back to solo driving. The car will hang onto the lower gears more though if you are gentle with the throttle for a while it will start to change up earlier.

Ian

• 1 month later...

DSG 6 or 7 ?

I have the 6 in my 2.0l 140 delivered in France. Only 1000km but no problems experienced.

I will say that my last car, a BMW525tdsa, came back with a bad case of "when do I shift gears?" after a six-month loan to a female friend. So much for gearboxes that "learn" how you drive, and adapt...lol