Oil breather fix

Vrs-Fletch

This might have been asked before but as any one had the new oil breather pipes fitted to their mk2 fabia vrs and got pics? Mine is in next thur for the fix and I'm just wondering if this is goin to be a good fix or am I best off putting my foot down for a new engine?

It is very apparent that our beloved VRs Fabia amongst other VAG 1.4 TFSI engined cars have oil issues, it is also apparent, that some people are happy to run with the repairs/mods and finally a new engine, as am I. Our car goes for the breather mod on October 4th.

However, I think it might be a good idea to have a contingency plan, I am suggesting that everybody of Briskoda with oil issues could PM me with contact details, car details and brief outline of what you have had done, I am going to register on the Polo, Seat and maybe even the A1 forums and ask the same, when I have enough data and enough unhappy punters we can present our problems to trading standards, Watchdog or whoever we choose.

I am a fair person and do not want this turn into a witch hunt, but if we need to then we will have the information to hand.

What do you think?

• Like 1

what mileage are your cars on at present, I was having an oil problem on my first engine up until around 6.5k then it never used a drop, had the engine replaced at 7.5k due to a spark plug failure. My car is now on 15.5k so 8k on from being replaced and the engine has used a drop for atleast 2k.

I was told when I had the engine replaced when possible give it a thrashing, with me living and working between straight roads and lanes it pretty much gets thrashed once the car reaches oil temp on a daily basis :)

• Like 1

My car has only done 4k in 18 months, however when you travel 250 miles on a round trip it needs 300ml of oil, in total 5 litres of oil have been poured into the engine.

Your philosophy of oil usage reducing with time is exactly what I thought, oil blow by from glazed bores or excess crank case gas also caused by glazed bores but causing blow by, both of these theory's were rejected by SUK thus suggesting to me that they have known issues with certain engine number, I even heard that there was a manufacture issue causing slightly out of round cylinder bores, with prolonged use I suppose the rings would wear in and seal eventually.

I am happy for you that your car is sorted now and hope mine will be soon, if the breather fix doesn't work then it is off to Oulton park for a track day, thus thrashing it as you describe, this should be a kill or cure.

15k, it was a dealer demo car, Iv had it since jan and its had the oil consumption test 3 times and now it's having this modification done. I'm just concerned because I had a 59 reg ford fiesta that I got brand new and only had it 6months because it needed a new altinator, clutch pedal assembly, and pre tested fuel injectors so I rejected the car under the sales of goods act. I'm just wondering if this modification dunt work that I can reject my car?

My car has done 30k and just had its 3rd service - build date July 2011.

At 10k, using 1L per 1100 miles - reported to dealer and did a basic oil usage check - just within spec

At 20k, still using 1L per 1100 miles - did not mention it to the dealer

At 30k, now using 1L per 550 miles - reported to the dealer, did a basic check - 3/4L used for 450 miles. The dealer agreed it was high, and have asked me to do another basic check, then if the results are the same they will take it up with Skoda UK.

I've used 30+ litres of oil so far!!

My car has done 30k and just had its 3rd service - build date July 2011.

At 10k, using 1L per 1100 miles - reported to dealer and did a basic oil usage check - just within spec

At 20k, still using 1L per 1100 miles - did not mention it to the dealer

At 30k, now using 1L per 550 miles - reported to the dealer, did a basic check - 3/4L used for 450 miles. The dealer agreed it was high, and have asked me to do another basic check, then if the results are the same they will take it up with Skoda UK.

I've used 30+ litres of oil so far!!

If I coast for a couple of 100 meters and then put my foot down, a massive blue cloud of smoke is left in my trail!! LOL

That's not usually a symptom of ring damage more likely to be excessive crankcase pressure ie breather or valves/guides

That's not usually a symptom of ring damage more likely to be excessive crankcase pressure ie breather or valves/guides

i agree, breather would be my guess, the engine also "pinks" badly which I assume is due to the mixture being affected by the oil in the cylinders.

Can High Crankcase Pressure Can Be Caused by Worn Piston Rings?

http://www.ehow.com/...ston-rings.html

The piston rings are not worn, the oil is passing by as a result oval bores or glazing of the bores. The idea of the breather system is because VAG now think the oil is being blown out of the rocker cover into the breather pipe and then through the inlet and ultimately burnt.

The idea behind the breather mod is like the old Mini, when John Cooper made the "S" the extra stress on the engine used to pop the dip stick out, a new breather on the timing chain cover was added, problem solved.

I am taking my car NOW to have the breather mod done tomorrow, I will collect the car on Friday, I will then run it for a bit and I will let you know if it works, BUT from what I have read I am not going to hold my breath.

Can High Crankcase Pressure Can Be Caused by Worn Piston Rings?

http://www.ehow.com/info_12162215_can-high-crankcase-pressure-can-caused-worn-piston-rings.html

Not when the engine is not under load or on overrun

If the rings were shot it would smoke all the time especially under load

Hi i'm on the Seatcupra.net forum and my Bocanegra is on its second engine too, fitted in july.. Had this fitted at 13k as the old one was using 1 litre per 650 miles :sweat:

NEw engine fitted and 600 miles into it had to put half a litre in and then 350 miles later dipstick was almost empty.. I'm not convinced there is a fix for this problem. With other problems i've had with this car in the 2 years of ownership i am not putting up with it any more and have traded it in on a octavia blackline, due next week. Will miss the car a lot but there has to be a line drawn somewhere and I have passed it.

Good luck to you all with getting this prob sorted once and for all..

Pretty much why I'll be punting mines when the warrenty runs out.

I've been OK for oil useage but I just know that sooner or later I'll need a new engine and it'll be out of warrenty. Wouldn't mind converting it to the Evo 6 engine like someone posted on here in a basic Fabia 2 but naahhh.

After something like a VXR8 next.

There must be a fix/remedy for this issue as some engines are ok for oil! One of them has an Audi A1 tfsi with no oil used in the first 7000 miles.

Maybe VAG are sending the bad batch of engines to Seat and Skoda????/

We will never know.