Mountain Bikes, whos got what?

Woody's  VRS

Recently got a specialized camber comp,awesome bike . . Good on the trail and xc riding and even good uphill coz for a big full sus bike its really light,lighter than my old dj bike which was only a hard tail.

I'm riding a Marin wolf ridge for the trails, awesome bike which serves me well. It's not the lightest bike going but it's nice and plush when the going gets ruff.

For the road miles/conditioning I've got a giant escape m8 which is still taking a bit of getting used to as its running a nexus 8speed hub with roller brakes.

So what places do all of you ride???

I usually ride at hamsterly forest as its close for me but I love riding the helly Hanson black run up in Peebles/glen tress forest. It's epic :)

• 4 months later...

I've got a Kona 2+2 for trail riding and I love my bike. It's quick on the up hill and plush enough on the down that I rarely run out of 'talent' - though it hurts when I do!

My Trek FX 7.5 is my 'rapid response vehicle' it lives by the front door and can get me to the lifeboat station in about 60 seconds when my pager goes off. Generally I use it as a around-town bike, I'm hoping to pick up a nice Octy soon that may become my 'winter response vehicle' :D

17215.47807a88fe3646ac1dfd1a18c0619827.jpg

I have a carrera hellcat but it's been in dry dock for years

as it needs new seals on one of the brake fluid reservoirs.

It's literally as new. I'd like to get it up and running again but have

no idea where to take it to get it fixed.

It has Magura 'Louise' braking system btw.

Not mine but the same as this.

$(KGrHqF,!k0FD29R2fM-BR!V,eHYZ!~~48_79.JPG

Mine is a specialized rockhopper and if i want to go old school i still have a grisley mega 20 i built from scratch used last year on the chilterns before i made the move to the rockhopper.

front sus and disk brakes what a difference...

will try and sort out pictures

Currently riding a Specialized Stumpjumper Comp FSR (2007) - (bit of a dissapointment to my colleagues considering I work in a bike shop..... but it does me proud!)

Its had a little bit of money spent on it I have to admit; DT 4.2 Rims on Hope Pro 2 Hubs; XT 10 spd groupset; regular service's on the forks and shock etc (courtesy of MOJO Suspension)

Also own a 2009 Trek 1.9 road bike as I use sometimes as my work commuter and general "pub ride" bike! :)

I've just started getting into mountain biking near the end of last year, I've been commuting with a hybrid for a while and using it for most day to day stuff but wanted to build up my cycling to do further routes for enjoyment. There's a local community bike shop/café thing (Velocity Café in Stephen's Brae for anyone in the Highlands) who started a weekly cycle which was good except it was off road so my hybrid would be no good. I decided I wanted to join in so after going dizzy trying to decide on a mountain bike I settled on a 2012 Trek 4900XT as it seemed a good all rounder and not too expensive if I decided I didn't like mountain biking.

DSC01293-XL.jpg

I don't have much basis for comparison but so far it seems to be doing pretty well, it's not too heavy, the 10 gears at the back give a good range (although confusingly despite both being Shimano, the gear shifters on the hybrid/MTB are the opposite way round), the brakes work scarily well and most importantly it's not yet let me down at all which given I only use it for off road is pretty good. Particularly when you add in the fact I'm pretty rough with it as I don't know what I'm doing most of the time (only ever ridden in pitch black so far) and the routes I've been doing with it are generally pretty tough(usually few things break on people's bikes) rather than just basic trails stuff.

I see on Evanscycles there's an MTB ride in Callander, Perthshire on the 23rd March so I fancy taking the bike down and giving that a go. Quite good to have something to aim for and will be good to be cycling in the light for a change.

John

John

Edited by JohnMcL7

Ah a section of the forum I can get involved in right away!

I currently ride a 2012/13 YT Industries Wicked 150! I will get some pics of it up when I am at home.

Some rather nice bikes on here, Any of you lot ride Swinley Forrest?

Ah a section of the forum I can get involved in right away!

I currently ride a 2012/13 YT Industries Wicked 150! I will get some pics of it up when I am at home.

Some rather nice bikes on here, Any of you lot ride Swinley Forrest?

I try to ride there every sunday morning if I can, a maroon Turner 5 Spot faux bar.....

A 2009 Giant Anthem X. Very light, very fast. Fox forks, roval wheels, tubeless etc, etc.

A Ragley mmmBop big fat cheap hardtail. Built as a winter hack for when the prima-donna Anthem is snuggled up away from the mud. Uses old, second hand and bargain bin bits and is far more capable and fun that it has any right to be.

I have a 2004 Trek 6700, I'm doing the trans Pennine trail from Southport to Hull in April.

Love my bike, but want to buy a decent road bike this year if funds allow.

Anyone cycle at Gisburn Forest?

Been a few times. Its not far from me but got better stuff, closer. I do need to take a trip up though to try the new trails... Just waiting for some drier weather as up near the craggs will most likely resemble the somme and I've heard Hully Gulley is totalled...

Hully Gully is still ride-able, just needs some tlc.

The new trails are awesome, as is the new skills section opening a week tomorrow (I am a trail builder at Gisburn). Also the new Swoopy Section we finished just before Christmas is pretty good. The big opening is on the 23rd, Guy Martin is cutting the ribbon, all kicks off at 10am.