Starting up a TFSI.

Bit of a strange one this, but my VRS TFSI is sometimes a bit slow to start first thing in the morning. It always starts eventually but just kind of "stutters" a bit. I realise that these engines have a HPFP which needs to build up pressure to start it and that its a "characteristic" of the engine ,but I was just interested to hear if anyone had found any way of improving it. I tried the following so far:

1. turning on the ignition and waiting for all the dash lights to go out. - marginal improvement

2. turning on the ignition, then turning it off and back on again and waiting for lights to go out. - same as above

3. starting the car with my foot slightly on the gas pedal. - slightly better but over revs on starting, making me look like a ****.

4.running injector cleaner in the tank. (I realise that this doesnt really do much on direct injection engines) - not sure if this has helped yet, dont think so though.

I always run 99 RON Super (momentum) and I also tested the battery last week and it was showing 86% health so I dont think its that either.

Its not a huge problem (yet) but if anyone has any suggestions then that would be great.

BTW, car is 2008 and has covered 38k miles with FSH

Oddly, my yellow 2008 car with 38k on it does the same thing. It's worse on cold mornings. It'll start then splutter and sometimes die. It's always fine the second time.

Not any help but I'm interested too.

Op what colour is your car, we might have 2 matching variables here which could point to the problem...

No I'm joking :)

Cam followers?

Have you tried pressing the clutch while turning the key?

How about connecting another battery and jump starting it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oddly, my yellow 2008 car with 38k on it does the same thing. It's worse on cold mornings. It'll start then splutter and sometimes die. It's always fine the second time.

Not any help but I'm interested too.

:rofl: 2 sprint yellow cars with the same mileage with exactly the same issue. Spooky :bandit:

Of course I've got a suggestion. Ignore it. :blush:

It does the same on my 1.8 TSI, but has covered almost 100kkm without any problems.

That is what I should do I agree. However, it doesnt look very good when I start a 2008 car up in the morning and it struggles to start (especially when my next door neighbours 2003 Mini cooper S fires immediately!)

Op what colour is your car, we might have 2 matching variables here which could point to the problem...

No I'm joking :)

Cam followers?

Have you tried pressing the clutch while turning the key?

How about connecting another battery and jump starting it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always press the clutch in to start every car. Not tried jump starting, though that might be an idea (cheaper than a new battery!) Would an 08 car wear the cam follower in that amount of time?

Mine sometimes seems to take a little longer to catch than I'd think. It always starts.

I've assumed it was the battery getting old.

Mine tends to turn over and fire quite quickly (really don't think it is battery related) but likewise it often stutters and sometimes stalls (may then be trickier to start). Engine may seem to rev a little low initially and then within a couple of seconds increases to a normal cold idle. I always press the clutch in.

My car isn't yellow. ;)

It takes a few turns of the camshaft to build up enough pressure in the pump to fire the engine. I believe some pumps keep the pressure in the rail for longer, luck of the draw? Or maybe it's the fuel pressure regulator leaking fuel past?

I've had 3 pumps on my car, the newest started quickest but I don't really have any troubles on a morning.

Mine's always been like this. I don't think it's a major issue since it always starts on the second attempt if it doesn't start first time. I just assume it's a characteristic of the engine.

My other thought was spark plugs perhaps? Newer plugs would have a stronger spark and as my car does short journeys I would imagine the current plugs are pretty carboned up.

Mine was the same, then a couple of weeks ago I had a warning light come on, the garage changed the manifold runner motor and the engine breather valve, car now starts instantly and ticks over smoothly.

My other thought was spark plugs perhaps? Newer plugs would have a stronger spark and as my car does short journeys I would imagine the current plugs are pretty carboned up.

If your doing short journeys then yeh they will be the FSI engine is notorious for gumming up, just google the 4.2 V8 in the RS4.

I would suggest that it is the tumble flap motor that closes for cold starts. If it is intermittantly working then you will have a potential stalling issue when cold that disappears as the engine warms up.