Budget coilovers, or lowering springs?

Im looking into lowering my Octavia estate a little. Ive seen Jom coilovers on the internet for £170 delivered, so was thinking about getting those.

Would I be able to just put a lowering spring onto my car instead? I only want to lower it 40mm as its a daily and goes everywhere with my mountain bikes in the back.

What are people's opinions on this one? For the price of the Joms, is it worth considering anything else?

Thanks

Hello I had joms on my octavia estate and I found the highest setting on them was about 50 ish mill drove fine handeled spot on but some speed bumps it caught slightly but there good in my eyes :) if you change to joms ensure the ofset of your wheels are the same as standard as my 18s caught the strut on full lock until I fitted spacers

Lowering springs are a disaster on OEM shocks. By time you buy dampers to match, your better buying joms, mine have been brilliant on my hatchback

after visitng lofty one day and seeing first hand the difference it then made me decided to buy the joms from ebay at £165 roundabouts are much more fun now :D

• Like 1

Lowering springs are a disaster on OEM shocks. By time you buy dampers to match, your better buying joms, mine have been brilliant on my hatchback

I have just replaced mine with New OE shocks and H&R Springs, and it drives great not had any issues good direction road holding and nice ride too. I am not bobbing along the road like the nodding dog over every bump or small stone. Don't get me wrong it cost more £415.00 but that included all the little extras that should or are advisable to change whilst doing the job, should outlive the car now.

I have just replaced mine with New OE shocks and H&R Springs, and it drives great not had any issues good direction road holding and nice ride too. I am not bobbing along the road like the nodding dog over every bump or small stone. Don't get me wrong it cost more £415.00 but that included all the little extras that should or are advisable to change whilst doing the job, should outlive the car now.

Pics for ride height???

I have ebay coilovers fitted to my octy mate and they are good for the money. Sits nice, and isnt to bouncy.

This is how she aits at the moment

20120923_123521_zpsd914411c.jpg

And this is how she sat on spiders with 225/45/17`s

20120728_114822.jpg.

I would say get the coilovers mate. Dont waste money on springs because you will only end up buying coilovers later. Like i did

I have same ones and i recon he has the front 20 threads up, on mine i can get top part of the tyre to disappear but I wouldnt drive it anywhere at that, at the height he and I have it, you get some decent ride quality and handling with nice low looks.

What I can't understand is why people come on a thread like this suggesting eibachs and new dampers, or weitecs etc. Clearly this is a budget thread if your coming on to suggest anything over 200 quid its gonna be a waste of time

Cheap coilovers are doing it properly! Do you have any on your car???? NO, cos if you say you have you will be shooting yourself in the foot. I do, and I know others that do too. I drive 30k a year and on many road conditions, and have found the joms to be a delight.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but opinions should be formed with personal experience. The OP would do well to consider your opinion as he would do anyone elses. However its obvious he hasnt the funds, and its obvious he is going to do one or the other.

Its like me asking which do you prefer - flapjacks or carrot cake? and you replying with: Oysters on a bed of lettuce.

• Like 1

Its like me asking which do you prefer - flapjacks or carrot cake? and you replying with: Oysters on a bed of lettuce.

LMFAO :rofl:

I get you buddy. Lot's of threads divert from the main OP question which should be the main point of topic here.

I had tried 6 differenent suspension set ups and they all work well for various reasons.

Bugdet has it's place and not all folks have top funds to move to top brand stuff.

Took me a few years and I managed to sell previous set ups to help pay for next options.

Now onto KW's so have moved up the scale, but budgets did me ok till then. But again was lucky to get second hand...

KW's ....mmmmmm are they not a bit...... chintzy?

I know what you mean, i would love better coilies, but cant afford them. Of course they will be better, but out the original choice: springs only on oem dampers vs budget coilies ..... budget coilies win.

Maybe the title should be " i can only afford springs or budget coilies, please list all the things i cant have so i can feel depressed"

End of the day my car realistically would struggle to achieve a grand, so why would i put half that into suspension, hence the jom route for me.

also hence the budget bumper/spoiler i just picked up, and the DIY spraying of them, looks absolutely mint for the £100 total spend.

Or should i have just bought a vrs octy II? yeah that would be better......oh wait...... i cant afford it

Cheap coilovers are doing it properly! Do you have any on your car???? NO, cos if you say you have you will be shooting yourself in the foot. I do, and I know others that do too. I drive 30k a year and on many road conditions, and have found the joms to be a delight.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but opinions should be formed with personal experience. The OP would do well to consider your opinion as he would do anyone elses. However its obvious he hasnt the funds, and its obvious he is going to do one or the other.

Drove a few vags on them **** coilovers, drive aweful, bounce all over the road, then they rust and sieze and dont last very long when dropped low.

No your right i havent ever bought any, i aint that stupid or delued to think they'd be any good.