1.2tsi Yeti, urgent buying advice needed!

polanglo

Hello everyone,

I have an option to buy the above..the one for sale is fully loaded with 17inch Annapura alloys and everything else. Don't know why, but who cares. You name it, it's got it. But and here's the big but. Am I making a monumental mistake by buying such a titchy engine in a big car?

I have a question - what's the rpm in 6th gear in the Yeti 1.2 at 70 and 80 and 90 mph?

Is the car noisy, and thrashy, or quiet?

Does anyone get more than 45 mpg in the real world?

That's about it really.

Thanks for any help. I know I can answer all the above by test driving but I need too a more general consensus.

Steve

Hello everyone,

I have an option to buy the above..the one for sale is fully loaded with 17inch Annapura alloys and everything else. Don't know why, but who cares. You name it, it's got it. But and here's the big but. Am I making a monumental mistake by buying such a titchy engine in a big car?

I have a question - what's the rpm in 6th gear in the Yeti 1.2 at 70 and 80 and 90 mph?

That's about it really.

Thanks for any help. I know I can answer all the above by test driving but I need too a more general consensus.

Steve

Hello everyone,

No, look back through some of the posts on this subject, the engine is a real eye opener and the car feels anything but underpowered.

Don't know about the RPM as I have never looked but I get around 39mpg on very mixed, mostly stop start, driving and on longer trips it climbs to approx 41mpg,

That's about it really.

Steve

Cannot remember the RPMs but can assure you the engine is excellent,once the turbo cuts in there is more than enough grunt for me to play with.

Noise levels are OK,I have no concerns about that.Driving around Liverpool I am getting mid 30's for MPG.

All in all I am more than happy with the 1.2tsi engine.

Same mpg as Andyspan, same impressions - I have a DSG box, not sure if it was manual I would like it as much. I think the DSG and 1.2tsi are a great pair. The engine is nippy, and the DSG gets the most out of it.

See the discussions pro and con DSG.

But, you do know it is a small engine. But then you also know if it a diesel, when it is a diesel. Whether you like it is a matter of expectations and preferences.

Can't add much to the above posts. My previous car, a 2.2 turbo diesel, had loads of grunt and I too was concerned that I might find the 1.2tsi underpowered but as the weeks go by and the engine loosens up I'm still amazed that this little engine can perform so well. Haven't yet had the opportunity to see how good the mpg might be on longer journeys but running around locally, max distance about 10 miles, I'm getting about 37 mpg.

It's a good engine, making the kind of power you used to get in a 1.6.

With DSG it's quiet and refined, but it will feel a bit slow if you like good performance over about 60mph as the shape of the Yeti generates significant drag which effects acceleration. At lower speeds it feels quite nippy.

And you will probably get between 35 and 40mpg.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to go for a 2.0 diesel. I'm used to driving this engine in an Octavia and with 6 gears it's quiet and frugal. Yes, it's more expensive, I know, than the 1.2. Sorry, but 35-40 mpg isn't good enough. 56mpg is, however.

Again, because of the shape of the Yeti I think you'll struggle to get 56mpg.

Unless you get a Greenline and drive sensibly.

I have a 170 4x4, but my driving route is good for economy.

I still get around 47mpg. On the same route in my wife's 1.2 DSG I get 40mpg.

I get the impression that he is thinking that as the same engine in an Octavia can get that average, that the Yeti should as well. The problem is that doesn't take into account the different transmission system, nor the poorer aerodynamics of the Yeti.

I can get 50+mpg out of my 170, but it makes for a very boring drive, completely against why I bought it the first place!

See Feully below for the stats.

Andy

Edited by AndyC

Ours isn't run in yet but 70mph equals just over 2100rpm in 7th (dsg) and it is very quiet even over 100 (beans per hour) :)

It is a small engine but it really is in no way 'underpowered', I'd recommend a test drive at least.

Agreed, it can be done, BUT, it is doubtful you'd get it every day, every journey, without very careful thought, and certainly not at the speeds the OP was stating. (70 and 80 and 90 mph?)

If ultimate economy is important to you then don't buy a Yeti - or any other Crossover/SUV type vehicle. You are basically trading higher fuel consumption for an elevated, roomy, attractive and in-fashion style of car. We all made that decision in choosing to buy a Yeti, there are many, many vehicles available which will provide much better MPG because of their design and aerodynamics. VW Golf and Octavia to mention just two. Boring I hear you say - exactly why most on this Forum chose a Yeti!!

• Like 3

If ultimate economy is important to you then don't buy a Yeti - or any other Crossover/SUV type vehicle. You are basically trading higher fuel consumption for an elevated, roomy, attractive and in-fashion style of car. We all made that decision in choosing to buy a Yeti, there are many, many vehicles available which will provide much better MPG because of their design and aerodynamics. VW Golf and Octavia to mention just two. Boring I hear you say - exactly why most on this Forum chose a Yeti!!

Very well put.

I have seen 57 average mpg from my 170 oil burner on a couple of times on Maxidot (no idea how accurate). A 160 mile round trip on the A roads with a few spirited overtakes where you can easily get stuck at 50 - 60 mph or less stuckin a queue behind lorries and caravans. My usual 20 odd mile to work with 90% mway I usually see around 45 mpg from the car display. Oh and Jana has done less than 2K miles so should get better.

Just looked up fuel data from my 140 BHP Octavia Estate - 2.0 Tdi DSG - sold it at 65,000 miles when it was averaging 52 MPG including regular high speed motorway trips and a lot of stop-go city driving, it regularly achieved over 60 MPG on local light traffic 20 mile runs with a 50 MPH speed limit.

Thanks for your comments - I have been busy lately eating lots of humble pie and took a bit of a hammering here:) So it's only fair that I should take a 1.2 for a test drive and perhaps it could be a good idea to order one with DSG, too. I feel the Octavia looks a bit bland now, compared to the Yeti. So I have taken on board all the comments and will let you know what I'll do. When I mentioned the diesel option by the way, I meant the 110bhp diesel, which is why I wrote (just as ball-park figure) a long motorway trip average of 56mpg.

Thanks for your comments - I have been busy lately eating lots of humble pie and took a bit of a hammering here:) So it's only fair that I should take a 1.2 for a test drive and perhaps it could be a good idea to order one with DSG, too. I feel the Octavia looks a bit bland now, compared to the Yeti. So I have taken on board all the comments and will let you know what I'll do. When I mentioned the diesel option by the way, I meant the 110bhp diesel, which is why I wrote (just as ball-park figure) a long motorway trip average of 56mpg.

It would be a great idea to order DSG!

I've had both 1.2 TSi and 110 BHP Yeti's. The petrol averaged low to mid 30's (over 10K miles). It was quiet and in comparison to my wife previous car (1.6 Qashqai) smoother and more tractable (? better torque at lower revs). The 110 BHP diesel has just clocked up 6K miles and is currently returning mid 40's MPG (Fuelly link below).

I was initially very impressed with the 1.2 TSi, but over the year I owned it became ever more aware of its low capacity and relative lack of torque.

The current 110 BHP diesel is no faster on paper, but feels more "planted" at speed and the additional torque makes higher speed driving feel less marginal.

I did run a 1.8 TSi Octavia 4x4 for around a year / 10K miles and looking back that probably offered by far the best performance vs economy. Fuelly link: http://www.fuelly.co...panther/octavia

I also ran a 1.6 CR Roomster (105 bhp) for around 1 year / 10K and was not impressed with that engine at all. It averaged mid to high forties (Fuelly link: http://www.fuelly.co...anther/roomster)and I was constantly frustrated by the lack of low down torque and excessive noise. The 2.0 CR is much better in this respect, despite identical torque and similar power outputs.