ENGINE OIL MARKETING VW 507.00

Hi,

I’m confused with the engine oil marketing

We have:

1 castrol edge professional longlife iii 5w-30 ""The dealer oil """ They selling as 1 Litre ? is it better

2 castrol edge5w-30 FST ""HARFOLDS""

3 quantum longlife iii 5w-30 ""VW replacement for castrol "

What the difference between these oils

I know the price will be different does the quality as well

The biggest question is castrol edge professional DEALER AND HARFOLDS castrol edge5w-30 FST

Are they different it is same VW 507.00

Thanks

It's a bit more complicated than that - it also depends whether you are diesel or petrol and whether fixed or flexible service schedules:

Taken from the manual:

Specifications and capacity (in l) for vehicles with flexible service intervals

Petrol engines Specification Filling level

1.4 ltr./92 kW TSI - EU5 VW 504 00 3.6

1.8 l/118 kW TSI - EU5

1.8 l/112 kW TSI - EU5/EU4/EU2/(BS4) VW 504 00 4.6

2.0 l/147 kW TSI - EU5 VW 504 00 4.6

3.6 ltr./191 kW FSI - EU5/EU2/(BS4) VW 504 00 5.5

Diesel engines Specification Filling level

1.6 ltr./77 kW TDI CR - EU5 VW 507 00 4.3

2.0 ltr./103 kW TDI CR DPF - EU5 VW 507 00 4.3

2.0 ltr./103 kW TDI CR - EU5/EU4/BS4 VW 507 00 4.0

2.0 ltr./125 kW TDI CR DPF - EU5 VW 507 00 4.3

Specifications and capacity (in l) for vehicles with fixed service intervals

Petrol engines Specification

Filling level

1.4 ltr./92 kW TSI - EU5 VW 502 00 3.6

1.8 l/118 kW TSI - EU5

1.8 l/112 kW TSI - EU5/EU4/EU2/(BS4)

VW 502 00 4.6

Petrol engines Specification

Filling level

2.0 l/147 kW TSI - EU5 VW 502 00 4.6

3.6 ltr./191 kW FSI - EU5/EU2/(BS4) VW 502 00 5.5

If the oils specified above are not available, oils according to ACEA A2 or ACEA A3

can be used once for refilling.

Diesel engines Specification

Filling level

1.6 ltr./77 kW TDI CR - EU5 VW 507 00 4.3

2.0 ltr./103 kW TDI CR DPF - EU5 VW 507 00 4.3

2.0 ltr./103 kW TDI CR - EU5/EU4/BS4 VW 507 00 4.0

2.0 ltr./125 kW TDI CR DPF - EU5 VW 507 00 4.3

If the oils specified above are not available, oils according to ACEA B3 or ACEA B4

can be used once for refilling.

CAUTION

Only the above-mentioned oils can be used on vehicles with flexible service intervals.

We recommend always refilling with oil of the same specification since this

will maintain the properties of the oil. In exceptional cases, a maximum of 0.5 l of

specification VW 502 00 (only for petrol engines) or specification VW 505 01 (only

for diesel engines) engine oil can be used to refill once. Other engine oils must

not be used - risk of engine damage!

Im looking for Long Life oil - by the service book it must be VW 507.00

The engine TDI PD DPF

Where is the diference:

castrol edge professional Longlife 5W30 VW507.00

castrol edge FST 5W30 VW507.00

The price:

VW dealer for 1 Litre 13-14 Pounds for castrol edge professional

25-38 Pounds for Harfolds or web site 4 litres castrol edge FST 5W30

Do you see the difference

4 x 13 = 52 Pounds and 25/38 half price for Dealer oil but the same spec

and today harfolds 38 Pounds for 4 Litre castrol edge FST

or eurocarparts with discount 25 Pounds 4 Litre castrol edge FST

Edited by Incognito

I would not expect to use 4 litres of oil over the 60,000 miles I usually keep a car for. My last 170 CR Tdi used no oil other than services over the 60K mies. My latest V6 has used a litre in first 12K miles and expect to monitor it. Both are extended service interval servicing of approx 18K miles.

Advice from forum members was along the lines of: "...... as long as it conforms to stated requirements - it should be ok ........" , and then the cheaper the better.

Nobody knows the difference between : :think:

1 - castrol edge professional Longlife 5W30 VW507.00

2 -castrol edge FST 5W30 VW507.00

I think it is marketing

the word professional give better feeling of professional, but it is maybe the same oil from the same specification as Castrol edge FST jus named castrol edge professional BUT THE PRICE MASIVE DIFERENCE :rofl:

Edited by Incognito

On a slightly different tack...

Is it safe to rely on the car telling you when it needs the oil topping up, or is it still best to check the dipstick every month or so?

On a slightly different tack...

Is it safe to rely on the car telling you when it needs the oil topping up, or is it still best to check the dipstick every month or so?

Always check manually! I check every 2-3 weeks or 1000 miles whichever comes 1st.

The correct method for VAG engines is to check the oil level when the engine is still warm, about 5-10 mins after switching off. Obviously on level ground. Not a cold engine as you would normally expect.

HTH :)

Nobody knows the difference between : :think:

1 - castrol edge professional Longlife 5W30 VW507.00

2 -castrol edge FST 5W30 VW507.00

I think it is marketing

the word professional give better feeling of professional, but it is maybe the same oil from the same specification as Castrol edge FST jus named castrol edge professional BUT THE PRICE MASIVE DIFERENCE :rofl:

I've found the difference fot you, taken from their blurb -

"As a sign of its Professional quality, Castrol EDGE Professional also comes with a fluorescent signature colouration, when shone under a UV light."

There you have it, this **** glows!!! I gotta get some :D

Always check manually! I check every 2-3 weeks or 1000 miles whichever comes 1st.

The correct method for VAG engines is to check the oil level when the engine is still warm, about 5-10 mins after switching off. Obviously on level ground. Not a cold engine as you would normally expect.

HTH :)

Yes it does. Thank you.

I know someone who didn't check manually and waited for the sensor to say it was low. Their level sensor was broken though and the engine needed 2-3 litres to reach minimum. The shells were worn and in the end he had to swap it out.

Always check manually.

• Like 1

Someone out of question

My discussion was - THAT DEALER EDGE PROFESIONAL OVERPRICED

YESTERDAY I HAVE CALL VW dealer and wanted to buy 4 Litres they EDGE professional from they big tank The price they quoted was 70 Pounds for 4 Litres oil

So i think wow this professional oil must have something to be so expensive as on the market you can buy 4 Litres VW 507.00 oil for about 25-30 Pounds

So than I start looking more deaper about this EDGE profesional and found that it is have this:

a fluorescent signature colouration, when shone under a UV light and the spec for VW 507

So castrol edge5w-30 FST it is the same spec oil but without a fluorescent signature colouration SO WHY PAY MORE IF YOU CAN GET same oil cheaper LIKEcastrol edge5w-30 FST

• 11 months later...

Excatly the question i was going to ask, Now I know what the difference is can somebody tell me if you can mix the two versions of this oil. The reason I ask is I have a 1ltr top up bottle of the Castrol edge professional longlife iii 5w-30 The dealer oil that came with my Vrs in a pretty little zip up pouch. And Costco are selling 4 ltrs of the castrol edge FST 5W30 VW507.00 for only £29.98 as my car needs 4.3lts for an oil change I just wanted to know if I could use both to do the oil change without any issues as my car is due its second service shortly and if I supply my own oil the dealer will reduce the cost of the service from £198.95 down to £132.80 and obviously if I can use the 1ltr I already have it will save me the expense of having to buy another 1ltr of the non professional oil. Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Paul

Excatly the question i was going to ask, Now I know what the difference is can somebody tell me if you can mix the two versions of this oil. The reason I ask is I have a 1ltr top up bottle of the Castrol edge professional longlife iii 5w-30 The dealer oil that came with my Vrs in a pretty little zip up pouch. And Costco are selling 4 ltrs of the castrol edge FST 5W30 VW507.00 for only £29.98 as my car needs 4.3lts for an oil change I just wanted to know if I could use both to do the oil change without any issues as my car is due its second service shortly and if I supply my own oil the dealer will reduce the cost of the service from £198.95 down to £132.80 and obviously if I can use the 1ltr I already have it will save me the expense of having to buy another 1ltr of the non professional oil. Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Paul

mixing the two mentioned oils will be fine as it will still be 507.00 spec, as owner don't always top up with the the same brand of oil used in the service but as long as it is the recommended vw spec, regardless of brand it will be fine.

Edited by wiilydog
  • Like 1