Fitting Front and Rear Mudflaps to your Citigo.

MickA

I have just fitted some Mudflaps front and rear to my Citigo Elegance and thought I'd just post up my pics and information about it in this section. I ordered mine from a VW dealer and can confirm both the front and rear flaps for the VW Up fit the Citigo.

Part numbers front 1S0 075 111 rear 1S0 075 101

It really is a simple job and requires no more than 15 minutes per mudflap, possibly less once you have done one of each. So I reckon an hours labour if you get the dealer to do both sets. I didn't remove any of the wheels to fit them, although the instructions say you do. I just put each of the front wheels on full lock when doing each side to gain access. The rears are even easier, again no need to remove the wheels.

The fronts

Once the wheel is adjusted on full lock you can gain access to the 2 torx screws holding the arch liner. Remove the screws and behind the liner you can remove the lower plastic screw insert to leave a square shaped hole on the lower wing. At this point you can offer up the mudflap and fasten the very top screw loosely to hold the flap in place whilst you mark the holes you will need to drill (8mm drill required) in the liner, one at the very bottom and one under the top original screw hole. Once drilled you can ease the liner back to locate the lower bracket. It’s a bit of a faff to find the screw holes but once you’ve done one the other side is easier. So once the flap and bracket are in place you can see where the screws go, just need to line them up to fix. There are four screws altogether for each flap one is shorter which goes in the very bottom inside the arch. The fourth screw goes into the bracket from underneath. There is also a plastic stud type fixing which goes into the upper hole you drilled to hold the flap through the arch liner. For ease of fitting all parts are marked L/R. There is of course an instruction leaflet that came with the parts which does explain things in picture form. See pics below

20121020_130928.jpg

IMG_9895.jpg

IMG_9896.jpg

IMG_9900.jpg

IMG_9897.jpg

IMG_9898.jpg

IMG_9902.jpg

IMG_9901.jpg

The rears

These are easier than the fronts and no drilling from me, although the instructions show you do. I didn’t bother because I didn’t want the holes in the lower part of the wheel arch/bumper, although it will not be seen. It’s up to you, there is a clip holding the lower part anyway. Locate the bracket on to the lower part of the wheel arch these are marked L/R and these are held on by 2 spring clips. Offer the flap up so the 2 screw holes line up on the bracket and fit the screws. Move to the lower part of the flap and it secures with a third spring clip, you will see if fits over a small protruding piece of flexible plastic. That’s it really apart from, if you wish to drill and fix the lower part as well. I found the spring clips went on better if I prised them open a little. I also trimmed a small protrusion from the lower part of the flap to help it sit better. Again there are instructions with the parts which are easy to follow in picture form. See pics below.

20121020_130923.jpg

IMG_9907.jpg

IMG_9904.jpg

Edited by MickA
  • Like 2

Yes well done Mick. You took a lot of time and trouble producing this for others. Do you think it worth my while to suggest to the garage, when about to fit mine to offer them up to the body to identify the piece you thought a good idea to trim off. Would it have been at all noticeable to a fussy person like me if not done :happy: Has this piece anything to do with the difference between the VW and Skoda bumpers?

Yes well done Mick. You took a lot of time and trouble producing this for others. Do you think it worth my while to suggest to the garage, when about to fit mine to offer them up to the body to identify the piece you thought a good idea to trim off. Would it have been at all noticeable to a fussy person like me if not done :happy: Has this piece anything to do with the difference between the VW and Skoda bumpers?

I saw an Up today with the rear flaps fitted and noticed the rear arch/bumper looked the same shape as the Citigo. Happy with the fitting of mine and I find they sat against the bottom edge of the bumper better with the raised section cut down a little. Hard to describe without a picture of the piece I mean but I took my camera back inside so forgot to snap this part. It's not really an issue but I trimmed it just to make it look better, especially as I didn't drill the hole for the extra fixing.

Definately recommend these 100% if you want the rear flaps. Cost delivered for the full set, front/rear £42.

Mick

Edited by MickA

Thanks Mick. They look great. Got call from dealer this morning to say my VW rears are arrived together with the media (iPod/phone holder) I ordered. They will fit while I wait at 4pm. :sweat: Haha.

VW rears fitted. Like Mick has done, the mechanic recommended trimming off the piece that prevents the bottom of the flaps sitting up flush with the bottom of the bumper. He did drill the bottom holes and put in a nut/bolt in each flap. Will add pics tomorrow.

• Like 1

VW UP! rear mud flaps fitted by dealer to our Citigo. They did trim off a piece of rubber at the interface of the flap to the underside of the bumper to get it to sit up against it properly, as MickA described in his fitting instructions.

post-95188-0-38434000-1351017700_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I think it's fair to say that the flaps do not eliminate surface splatter on the back of the Citigo, but probably help...I cannot say because they were fitted before I had an opportunity to compare. I think they beef up the look of the car a bit though, look nice and I'm glad I had them fitted.

Skoda UK are adamant that, despite what consecutive accessory brochures declare, there are no rear mud flaps for the Citigo and indeed none are listed on the Skoda internal parts database. My questioning this anomoly did not bring a constructive response, just repetition of their statement. My Dealer has now refunded the cost of the flaps after Skoda's intervention.

Thanks for the tip about VW up mudflaps. Just fitted rears to my new car and they are perfect. I had contacted Skoda uk and my local dealer and they insist that there are none available or planned for the immediate future, totally rediculous as these are unbranded and fit with minimal adjustment. Thanks again, as a result I have joined the group!

Thanks for the tip about VW up mudflaps. Just fitted rears to my new car and they are perfect. I had contacted Skoda uk and my local dealer and they insist that there are none available or planned for the immediate future, totally rediculous as these are unbranded and fit with minimal adjustment. Thanks again, as a result I have joined the group!

Way to go! :happy:

The latest (12/12) Skoda accessories brochure states on page eight that mudflaps are "available on all models", from £35.40 fitted.. So, no need to order via VW?

I think these are only fronts. If the garage will cooperate, or you are confident yourself.....just buy the VW ones and fit. They are not branded. My dealer actually ordered the VW ones for me and fitted them.

I think these are only fronts. If the garage will cooperate, or you are confident yourself.....just buy the VW ones and fit. They are not branded. My dealer actually ordered the VW ones for me and fitted them.

Not so, download the accessories brochure from here http://www.skoda.co.uk/GBR/owners/Pages/default.aspx on the right in green text and look at page thirteen (not eight as I incorrectly stated previously). It clearly states that front and rears are available, fitted, for all models. I may try again and would appreciate comments on the following: the clips I had were totally rigid and unable to open up even the slightest. Were anyone elses flexible, as they surely should be to fit over the plastic mounting?

I managed to open mine up enough by placing them upside down on one side of a vice so the open sides were each side of the jaws then hitting them with a hammer! Yes they are pretty rigid and would not open with pliers etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Regret to say that the rear flaps do not appear to fit the Seat Mii. You might get them to fit the Citygo with a bit of a fiddle, but the shape of the bottom of the Seat is different enough to preclude fitting. (Unless I have missed something about the trimming off of the bottom section.

Would appreciate clarification regarding this, as these cars appear to generate an enormous amount of following vortex in the rain. I dont think I have ever had a car which needs the rear screen wiper on so much.

The fronts fit with no problem, but really would like the rears as well.

That rear bumper/wheel arch of the Mii looks the same as the Citigo/Up to me. I would go for it if I were you re the rear mudflaps. As I said in the 'how to' do a little trimming on the flap were it meets the underside of the bumper. There is a small protrusion there, just trim with a stanley knife, easy enough. The clips are no big deal to spring open, they are a tight fit.

As for the road spray up the rear, well all rear ended cars like this are prone to it. I've had a number of estates and hatches and they are particularly bad for this. The mudflaps are of little help for this, they just stop some of the road dirt from splashing up the rear bumper.

Mick

Edited by MickA

As I thought regarding the fitting to the Seat Mii. The fronts go on with no problem. But the rears do not.. The shape at the bottom is just a bit too different to the Up and Citygo.

So if anyone wants some rear flaps, still boxed and complete. Let me know..

As I thought regarding the fitting to the Seat Mii. The fronts go on with no problem. But the rears do not.. The shape at the bottom is just a bit too different to the Up and Citygo.

So if anyone wants some rear flaps, still boxed and complete. Let me know..

Hmm...I am suprised at this, given they are from the same factory/production line more or less.

Only ever seen one Mii on the road so not really had chance to have a look at the rear profile of the bumper.

Can you post a picture up of it, could you tell from that the difference?

Mick