Beti the K04 Yeti.

Yeti_Man

Looks great Lee - glad the research has paid off :thumbup:

What other car are you fitting the B8s to?

My trusty, owned since new, Fiesta 1.6 TDCi that I use for day to day commuting! 55k on the clock and the oe dampers have pretty much had it so decided it was worthwhile doing and due to it having the eibachs, map (with 210lb/ft torque) and focus ST brake setup already, thought the B8 dampers would compliment it all very well. Fingers crossed!

• Like 3

Looking good Lee, I've noticed a difference in ride quality just with the B4s so your set up must be brilliant, interesting decision on the ARBs though is Id say they're the biggest bang for buck change ive got on the car.

Are you getting to any of the up coming meets/shows/track days?

• Like 1

I'll have a wander past your place Lee to have a proper looK :yes:

Do not see Beti anywhere near enough round 'our' neck of the woods. You must keep her wrapped up for large parts of the month.

Looking good :thumbup:

• Like 1

Looking good Lee, I've noticed a difference in ride quality just with the B4s so your set up must be brilliant, interesting decision on the ARBs though is Id say they're the biggest bang for buck change ive got on the car.

Are you getting to any of the up coming meets/shows/track days?

The ARB thing is a slightly weird one id agree as they've been the best mod I've done on my previous cars but with the polybushes and the fact mine are the fattest ones available they just added a little too much stiffness for everyday use imo. Whats the diameter of your front and rear ones Darrell? Something like that makes a commute into work less enjoyable and a 16 hour drive to the Costa Blanca a nightmare. This car really cant be compromised for its family duties. If I was happy to make these compromises i'm in no doubt it'd be quicker round a track for instance but that isn't my cars natural environment. :) Shows etc - haven't even looked at dates tbh but in previous years its always conflicted with me being away and this year im away more than ever.

I'll have a wander past your place Lee to have a proper looK :yes:

Do not see Beti anywhere near enough round 'our' neck of the woods. You must keep her wrapped up for large parts of the month.

Looking good :thumbup:

Ultimately I guess she doesn't do much mileage over here - she's used more for the long legged trips abroad if im honest. I do a commute in her each week simply to keep her running smoothly. Whenever I do see a Yeti im usually in the Fiesta!

• Like 1

The ARB thing is a slightly weird one id agree as they've been the best mod I've done on my previous cars but with the polybushes and the fact mine are the fattest ones available they just added a little too much stiffness for everyday use imo. Whats the diameter of your front and rear ones Darrell? Something like that makes a commute into work less enjoyable and a 16 hour drive to the Costa Blanca a nightmare. This car really cant be compromised for its family duties. If I was happy to make these compromises i'm in no doubt it'd be quicker round a track for instance but that isn't my cars natural environment. :) Shows etc - haven't even looked at dates tbh but in previous years its always conflicted with me being away and this year im away more than ever.

Ultimately I guess she doesn't do much mileage over here - she's used more for the long legged trips abroad if im honest. I do a commute in her each week simply to keep her running smoothly. Whenever I do see a Yeti im usually in the Fiesta!

If remember right it's 24mm on the rear and 20mm on the front.

If remember right it's 24mm on the rear and 20mm on the front.

Mine were way bigger - think the front was 4mm bigger on the front and at least 2mm bigger on the rear than those! Never had an ounce of roll whatever you did but way too much for a daily or comfort drive imo.

• Like 2

Great thread Lee.  Whilst i have no interest in buying a yeti, it's still great to see the detail and thoroughness you're bringing to this build, and great to see the p/nos etc shared to make this a great resource for the future /other owners.

Top job.

• Like 3

Mine were way bigger - think the front was 4mm bigger on the front and at least 2mm bigger on the rear than those! Never had an ounce of roll whatever you did but way too much for a daily or comfort drive imo.

Might be that going for those sort of sizes made things just a bit too stiff Lee? Maybe a 26mm on the rear on its own, with the OEM FARB, but running that with a 24mm front sounds a bit much to me.

Like you say, probably too extreme for everyday.

• Like 1

Maybe why I've never had an issue on the daily drive? Worth looking into a Whiteline set up?

Great thread Lee.  Whilst i have no interest in buying a yeti, it's still great to see the detail and thoroughness you're bringing to this build, and great to see the p/nos etc shared to make this a great resource for the future /other owners.

Top job.

Thanks Rob.

Might be that going for those sort of sizes made things just a bit too stiff Lee? Maybe a 26mm on the rear on its own, with the OEM FARB, but running that with a 24mm front sounds a bit much to me.

Like you say, probably too extreme for everyday.

That was one of the configurations I ran for a few weeks and agree it was the least compromised but still to much stiffness in the rear (oooo er!) Something with a max of 2mm over each of the standard OE bars would have been better without a doubt but the 1.8TSi runs Golf R bars from the off! 

Maybe why I've never had an issue on the daily drive? Worth looking into a Whiteline set up?

Its spot on now so I wont be messing with a working formula - just no need tbh :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Now the suspension is sorted i'm moving onto the brakes, hopefully tackled on my next free Saturday on the 11th April.

Work will consist of a refresh at the front and an upgrade for the rear.

Front:

• Brembo 312mm vented discs (plain, not drilled or grooved)
  • Cayman S Ferodo DS2500 pads.

Rear:

• S3 rear caliper and carriers
  • Pagid 310mm vented discs (plain, not drilled or grooved)
  • Brembo Sport pads

Fluid refresh - staying with ATE SuperBlue DOT4 fluid.

An interesting discovery (for people that find this stuff interesting anyway!) is that the larger Cayman S pads can be made to fit the Cayman 986 calipers with some modifications, apparently. I'm not quite sure to what extent of modification yet as I have a set of pads on the way to me currently for comparison purposes but from research it looks like its only pad material depth that will cause an issue so taking 1mm off each of the pad surfaces should allow it to fit into the calipers with the 25mm thick discs.

There's two advantages I can see to this specific pad component change: 

• It sweeps the full area of the disk unlike the standard Porsche NQSBBK which leaves 6-7mm of the disk area unswept.
  • It increases the pad to disc contact area by 20%!!!

The last of those two points being the main attraction for me, it will be interesting to see how this one pans out and I'll update the thread accordingly as I know a few users of the NQSBBK don't like the unswept disc area issue. :)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Now the suspension is sorted i'm moving onto the brakes, hopefully tackled on my next free Saturday on the 11th April.

Work will consist of a refresh at the front and an upgrade for the rear.

Front:

• Brembo 312mm vented discs (plain, not drilled or grooved)
  • Cayman S Ferodo DS2500 pads.

Rear:

• S3 rear caliper and carriers
  • Pagid 310mm vented discs (plain, not drilled or grooved)
  • Brembo Sport pads

Fluid refresh - staying with ATE SuperBlue DOT4 fluid.

An interesting discovery (for people that find this stuff interesting anyway!) is that the larger Cayman S pads can be made to fit the Cayman 986 calipers with some modifications, apparently. I'm not quite sure to what extent of modification yet as I have a set of pads on the way to me currently for comparison purposes but from research it looks like its only pad material depth that will cause an issue so taking 1mm off each of the pad surfaces should allow it to fit into the calipers with the 25mm thick discs.

There's two advantages I can see to this specific pad component change: 

• It sweeps the full area of the disk unlike the standard Porsche NQSBBK which leaves 6-7mm of the disk area unswept.
  • It increases the pad to disc contact area by 20%!!!

The last of those two points being the main attraction for me, it will be interesting to see how this one pans out and I'll update the thread accordingly as I know a few users of the NQSBBK don't like the unswept disc area issue. :)

Don't be confused about pad to disc area. Only Piston/pad/disc area maters ;-) If you want more power only larger or more pistons matter.

There is a tuner in Germany who did a conversion on an Octavia 1.8tsi 4x4.

Result is 333 DIN bhp and 405Nm torque. Turbo conversion (didnt mention which one) 1.4 bar boost.

Power starts civilised and will get going at around 2500rpm. They also like the ability to rev up to 7000 and power delivery is smooth.

0-100km/h in 5.0s and 0-200km/h in 19.9s

Topspeed 275km/h

Sportclutch, audi ceramic brake setup, drexler limited slip diff and runs on 19" wheels with 235/35 tyres.

Std price in Germany is 23510€, for the entire tuned car 53610€

Motortuning 7400€

Bilstein kit and diff 3700€

Ceramic brake 8800€

Exhaust system 1200€

Bodykit 3800€

Recaroseats 5200€

Tuner is Rothe Motorsport

I always wondered about logic of these people - for 54k € you can built race car or buy better, more balanced car such as Subi Impreza. And still saved money for hookers, booze and traveling ;-)

Edited by sniper29a

Are you able to compare PolyBushes with Powerflex (in case you had them both)?

Polybush, as a company are dire to deal with from a customer perspective. Awful customer service, repeated promises made by Colin that were then revoked... I've posted before saying they provided me with the worst customer experience I've had in over 18 years of dealing with tuning related companies. I've had powerflex bushes on all my other cars pretty much and the company are great to deal with. Unlike Polybush they do care about the satisfaction of the customer and don't try to blame anything and every thing else but their product for an issue.

In terms of the product, its also below par from my experience. I'm now on my third replacement Polybush on the rear control arms. Each one seeing less than 11,000 miles of use - to me that's really not right. Shark got them to swap the first under warranty but again, they got silly and the customer side experience was woeful. It took weeks to arrive also as they apparently don't hold stock, they have to make them to order (this is a common part for the mk5 platform cars!) so the car was off the road until I received it. As a comparison, I've never had a failure of any single one of my Powerflex bushes on any car before.

Don't be confused about pad to disc area. Only Piston/pad/disc area maters ;-) If you want more power only larger or more pistons matter.

No confusion. Increasing the pad area doesn't directly increase the brake torque but it has several other advantages such as decreased pad wear and improving the fade characteristics of the pads - something I'll benefit from greatly as the disks aren't the biggest given the weight and use of the vehicle. For me, this is about making the most of the lightweight, hi spec caliper that's installed as I don't envisage changing them so want to make the most of them in every way possible. :)

Polybush, as a company are dire to deal with from a customer perspective. Awful customer service, repeated promises made by Colin that were then revoked... I've posted before saying they provided me with the worst customer experience I've had in over 18 years of dealing with tuning related companies. I've had powerflex bushes on all my other cars pretty much and the company are great to deal with. Unlike Polybush they do care about the satisfaction of the customer and don't try to blame anything and every thing else but their product for an issue.

In terms of the product, its also below par from my experience. I'm now on my third replacement Polybush on the rear control arms. Each one seeing less than 11,000 miles of use - to me that's really not right. Shark got them to swap the first under warranty but again, they got silly and the customer side experience was woeful. It took weeks to arrive also as they apparently don't hold stock, they have to make them to order (this is a common part for the mk5 platform cars!) so the car was off the road until I received it. As a comparison, I've never had a failure of any single one of my Powerflex bushes on any car before.

No confusion. Increasing the pad area doesn't directly increase the brake torque but it has several other advantages such as decreased pad wear and improving the fade characteristics of the pads - something I'll benefit from greatly as the disks aren't the biggest given the weight and use of the vehicle. For me, this is about making the most of the lightweight, hi spec caliper that's installed as I don't envisage changing them so want to make the most of them in every way possible. :)

If ain't broken, don't fix it. Why the hell did you change for Polybush then sir?

My last car was 70,000km of hardcore use on Powerflex - never had problem. That's why I wondered why did you chose Polybush after happy years on Powerflex.

If ain't broken, don't fix it. Why the hell did you change for Polybush then sir?

My last car was 70,000km of hardcore use on Powerflex - never had problem. That's why I wondered why did you chose Polybush after happy years on Powerflex.

it was admittedly the one and only thing I was dubious about doing and hadn't planned on but Shark had just become a dealer and recommended them based on experience of their golf gti project car that had them installed. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but the rear end ones are being entirely swapped out when I can find the time as another on the rear is now allowing too much movement.
  • Like 1

it was admittedly the one and only thing I was dubious about doing and hadn't planned on but Shark had just become a dealer and recommended them based on experience of their golf gti project car that had them installed. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but the rear end ones are being entirely swapped out when I can find the time as another on the rear is now allowing too much movement.

That's why I'm the only person who can do modifications on my car or my friends with my supervision ;-)

Years of testing, visions and destroyed materials - only you are the best man to give orders. Once, you start to rely on others it is always catastrophe. That's the 25 years of trial/error experience.

• Like 1

That's why I'm the only person who can do modifications on my car or my friends with my supervision ;-)

Years of testing, visions and destroyed materials - only you are the best man to give orders. Once, you start to rely on others it is always catastrophe. That's the 25 years of trial/error experience.

...but I also believe in putting trust in people with experience and as I'd only tried one type of aftermarket bush previously I went with the recommendation. I was quite open to the fact that things may have moved on and someone else did in fact now have a superior product. Other recommendations have been very positive on past projects.
  • Like 1

Well, I hear you. Problem in this sort of market is - you have more experience than people from so called tuning shops/garages ;-)

I personally take an advice from people who have already resolved my "problems". Guys who are passionate and do same stupid things as myself.

So ultimate question is - how someone could have more experience than you if he never drove as you or built car as you? They just guess based on cars they did but never used.

If I've got an ounce of gold for every "expert" and now "e-experts" I've ever met - I would have more gold than was ever mined ;-)

• Like 1

I'm interested in how much work the Cayman S pads need to fit into the calipers. It's probably not something I would be confident in tackling myself, but please post up the process as I need to refresh my brakes next week.

• Like 1