Beti the K04 Yeti.

Yeti_Man

I suppose another advantage of staying Skoda/VAG is I can use some of the parts off my current car and transplant them.

Which helps a lot when it comes down to cost to change.

Best option for me is to return my car back to standard (as much as possible, probably leave the clutch in). Sell the parts on/transplant on to another car and sell the car as standard.

Or turn my Octy in to a 4x4 project.

The deciding factor is cost and the main issue is the price of buying a yeti or alternative (S4/S6). I would imagine for a decent spec/year yeti and the mods you have its going to be around £20-£25k? Which opens up a lot of options.

Those MPG figures do look unbelievable. I'm sure I don't need to remind you that in reality running the mk2 octy at stage 2/2+/3/K04 on a spirited drive I can get single figures :giggle: Would never achieve 40mpg more like mid 30's on a run and more like 15-20 round town so looks like you achieve at least 10mpg more whatever the driving style. That's even more justifiable compared to an S4/S6.

Is the Yeti really that good in the corners????? That's my biggest concern coming from the Octy which with all the mods is a very well planted car (not great in standard mode I might add, too much understeer).

Looks like I have a good enough reason to test drive one :rofl:

Test drive one! Just do it for gods sake! :rofl:  

Dont get me wrong on the mpg btw, if I want to see single digit figures its easily achieved but its insanely economical for what it is when youre not in that sort of mood!

I was offered 18k for mine last weekend which sort of got me thinking seriously... Ive had a p/ex price of £14600 (so stripped to standard) which was mainly due to mine having all the factory options (except for the tow bar) and ive spent around £5,500 having all the work done by Shark Performance and the cars initial rrp was 28k iirc so an offer nearer 20k might have got me in the mood! :happy:  :rofl:  So yes, decide if you want a fully loaded one or a more basic one (forgo the leather and panoramic roof for the lightest one possible if you dont want luxury aswell - im afraid I couldnt do this!) and id say the above figures are what you are looking at to get it done properly. Good luck :) 

Ive got the 105pd L&K estate for the luxury and economy.

This is my car that needs to be practical enough for the family to use for the odd day trip and my business trips around the UK but fun when I want it to be. Or as you put it "when in that sort of mood" :rock:

Beti's just had her seventh oil and filter change at you ripe old age of 38,000 miles/3.5 years!

So breaking that down further....  thats:

• 20 minutes to remove the steel undertray (part of the original rough road option pack before they substituted it for a plastic one!) and its 14 bolts/screws
  • 20 minutes to remove the sump plug, drain the oil, remove filter, replace with a new filter, replace sump plug, fill with 4.5 litres of VAG's finest long life oil...

AND

• 20 minutes to replace that bloody steel undertray!!  :@  :rofl:  

Having said that, theres no doubt its been a worthwhile investment looking at the scraps its gained. Its certainly done its job well and the underneath of the car is spotless with no signs of corrosion anywhere. :)

994941_601682369892089_375118372_n_zps46

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies about the state of the alloys but most of that was due to the brake bedding in process...

Looks close doesnt it?

IMGP1497.jpg

IMGP1492.jpg

Theres actually 8.5mm of clearance at the closest point!! :)

IMGP1505.jpg

does the calipers fit straight on or are there any adampter brackets to be fitted

Result: Problem cured and unlikely to happen again due to it being a better solution than the factory did imo and everything back together perfectly with no evidence of water ingress issues - mainly due to catching it quickly and resolving it within a couple of days. I can only assume that the heat and cold must loosen the connection between the hard plastic sunroof surround and the slightly softer plastic white connector over time. Trust it to finally 'let go' six months out of warranty but I'm happy with the fix. :)

Great report Lee...

A suggestion: this is very much hidden in a sub thread now. It will be of much more use to many more peeps of you were to make this last post a properly tagged and labelled thread of its own.

• Like 3

Extremely thorough Lee, not that I'd expect anything less :)

Really glad you've been able to nail to source of the issue too.

Can only agree with Johann; I'd cut and paste this into a new, separate thread - then get it 'stickied' :thumbup:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work and really interesting to read. And I'm sure that will be helpful to quite a few people, especially those who are wondering what can be done to a Yeti! :)

• Like 2

nice write up :)

good idea also to document your mods and whether you'd do it again. good idea for a sticky i think.

Mine would be pretty short;

bilstiens - big mistake, glad i took them off.

everything else - awesome :)

nice write up :)

good idea also to document your mods and whether you'd do it again. good idea for a sticky i think.

Mine would be pretty short;

bilstiens - big mistake, glad i took them off.

everything else - awesome :)

Why were the Bilsteins no good? Ive never yet regretted buying anything with a bilstein label on! My PSS9's were great. :)

Why were the Bilsteins no good? Ive never yet regretted buying anything with a bilstein label on! My PSS9's were great. :)

I thought the same, and all the research i did beforehand i thought it would be a slam dunk going to for the top of the line bilstiens with damping adjustability. Problem is although you can adjust the damping the spring rate is always the same and it's a pretty firm spring for a road car. Although the b16's had 10 settings, the softer settings just leave the car underdamped vs. the springs so could be crashy and a bit floaty also - not great. If you go for the mid-to-high damping settings it's awesome on a smooth road/ banzai mode and would be fantastic on a track, but way too hard for a daily driven high miles family wagon.

If you did track days and a lower road mileage it would have been fine, but for the my type of use the H&R's are much better.

• 3 months later...

What a great thread. I only wish I'd found it earlier, to make the buying process that bit easier... just a couple of questions for now, what make & size are the ARB's and where did you get them from? I assume you don't need new droplinks or uprated mounts for the bars, but do correct me as I'm a newbie to Skoda.

What a great thread. I only wish I'd found it earlier, to make the buying process that bit easier... just a couple of questions for now, what make & size are the ARB's and where did you get them from? I assume you don't need new droplinks or uprated mounts for the bars, but do correct me as I'm a newbie to Skoda.

They are H&R ARBs for a VW Golf and a direct bolt on.  No other parts required.

• Like 1

Just to be specific the ARBs are for the Golf Mk V R32; need to remember that the rear ARB has to route over / around the rear diff.

Guy

sent from my Sony Xperia Z1

• Like 2

... so basically anything intended for a Mk5 Golf (or equivalent Audi, Seat, Skoda) should fit the Yeti (except that I should beware the Haldex)?

Or, to put it another way, in terms of modifications, what would be the first thing you do and the first place you go to do it?