Beti the K04 Yeti.

Yeti_Man

Lovely photos indeed. Seems you had a fair share of fun driving your gem as well. And the places look stunning too but then again so many painting and photography material places in such a beautiful country as Italy!

"In the car park. We see less than 12 during the whole trip and we always seemed to get one parking next to us (despite lots of other available spaces!) "

After your report I am convinced that Italians just dont love the Yeti as much. Maybe its the looks, maybe the initial high price on bigger engine models, who knows.  Oh well no one is perfect anyway I guess! :giggle: I believe you can consider yourself lucky for seeing that many Yeti there. We've seen like less than ... 5 about 3 weeks earlier when we were there for holidays! (But not in Tuscany though).  

Half of those 12 were probably seen in France actually so they really dont seem to be as popular out there. Oh well, their loss. :happy:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies about the state of the alloys but most of that was due to the brake bedding in process...

Looks close doesnt it?

IMGP1497.jpg

IMGP1492.jpg

Theres actually 8.5mm of clearance at the closest point!! :)

IMGP1505.jpg

Hello mate

Just want some info for the calipers

Are the front or the rear from the Boxster?

I want to use the oem 312 discs.

Also which pads have i to use with this calipers?

• Like 1

Kalispera Giannis, they are the fronts. You can use many different pad ranging in price from about £70 - £300 for some track orientated Pagids. Iirc the standard Porsche ones are made by Textar but there are loads of aftermarket/performance pads out there that fit them - just try a google search for specific recommendations. :)

• Like 1

Thank you for the quick answer.

By the way your Yeti is a great rocket

Great project

Thanks.

I should have mentioned that the Mintex M1144 pads I run are pretty good. Ive had better in terms of outright performance (Ferrodo DS2500's) but as an all round pad thats better than a standard one in terms of dealing with heat and just as good from cold they are a good compromise for the money. They are also fairly easy on the disks unlike more aggressive pads Ive used in the past and Id expect to get good life out of these as they arent showing signs of much wear with over 10,000 miles on currently.

• Like 1

Thanks.

I should have mentioned that the Mintex M1144 pads I run are pretty good. Ive had better in terms of outright performance (Ferrodo DS2500's) but as an all round pad thats better than a standard one in terms of dealing with heat and just as good from cold they are a good compromise for the money. They are also fairly easy on the disks unlike more aggressive pads Ive used in the past and Id expect to get good life out of these as they arent showing signs of much wear with over 10,000 miles on currently.

Interested to see that you've "had better in terms of outright performance" from DS2500.

I've got these back in Kevin, having been very disappointed with EBC Red stuff which lost performance over time and ruined a pair of brake discs (I should have taken advice to go with EBC Green or Yellow).

I've had DS2500 back in for about 5 months now on a pair of new discs and won't fault them; excellent from cold (well on a par with OEM) and great from speed once they have a bit of heat in them.

Guy

• Like 1

Interested to see that you've "had better in terms of outright performance" from DS2500.

I've got these back in Kevin, having been very disappointed with EBC Red stuff which lost performance over time and ruined a pair of brake discs (I should have taken advice to go with EBC Green or Yellow).

I've had DS2500 back in for about 5 months now on a pair of new discs and won't fault them; excellent from cold (well on a par with OEM) and great from speed once they have a bit of heat in them.

Guy

Firstly, from personal experience, Id avoid EBC. Period. The Greens are far too lean for the weight of a Yeti imo. The only benefit the range has over the competitors to my eyes is the low dust formulation. Thats certainly what used to sell them in the early days. Id probably have said that the Reds with a higher quality disk would be right for the Yeti but again they are my least favourite pad (although ive not run them on a Yeti)

My strong feeling is that the 312mm disk used with DS2500 pads and ATE fluid give the best all round price/performance ratio. As you say, good from cold, exceptional on demanding roads (a certain favourite Austrian pass springs to mind) and cheap to do, especially if your car already has the 312mm disks (and therefore carriers) in place. Dont get me wrong, the Porsche kit is amazing value for money and will ultimately outperform the above setup.

The quality of the monoblock Porsche caliper ie its lightness and rigidity are superb and leagues above what the OE VAG caliper can provide. In terms of pedal feel its also exceptional, by far the best modulated pedal feel of any Skoda ive driven - apparently down to the fact they use two different sized pistons in each caliper body. Unsprung weight is reduced and they are totally preferable to the 345mm S3 setup I had previously - as in, night and day preferable, mainly on the counts of weight difference, pedal feel and cost. Performance of the Porsche setup is superior for fast road use so as to why people go the S3 route over the Porsche NQSBBK I just cant fathom.

Ultimately though I feel a more aggressive pad would do wonders for my current setup when things get properly cooking. I'll be looking to see if the DS2500 is available when mine are due for renewal. The fact that the disk is still 312mm has a few advantages (replacement costs and off the shelf availability) but if you were using the car mainly on track id suggest a 'bigger' overall setup ie more disk surface to help disipate the heat. For me and this car and its uses, the Porsche setup is perfect. Besides, I always wanted a Porsche before I was 40, well Im not quite there yet but if I dont make it at least I can say my Skoda has genuine Porsche brakes at least! :giggle:

• Like 1

I quite like it! Far more character in that engine though! :)

Yup.  I LOVE the sound of a five cylinder - especially at full clip.  A million times more character than a boring four.

• Like 2

I quite like it! Far more character in that engine though! :)

I think with the RSQ3 you have to think of the tuning potential rather than the standard car.

A stage 1 / 2 tune would easily see this as a 400+bhp car. It would be a very, very rapid.

I think with the RSQ3 you have to think of the tuning potential rather than the standard car.

A stage 1 / 2 tune would easily see this as a 400+bhp car. It would be a very, very rapid.

As I do with any car. ;) 400bhp and even better, 430 lb/ft torque would be very nice to have. :)

• Like 1

Yup.  I LOVE the sound of a five cylinder - especially at full clip.  A million times more character than a boring four.

A Laverda 1,000cc triple is better!

Mind you, technically the RS Q3 (and RS Q5 - prefer the 300+ bhp TDI) are quite interesting but I don't like the Audi amorphous blob styling.

Guy

• Like 1

A Laverda 1,000cc triple is better!

Guy

But be fair, most had Conti's fitted (that's an exhaust make (silencer it certainly wasn't) for those too young), which was essentially an open pipe. 

My Mirage definitely was.  Big valve Jota head and race cams, giving that real crack to the sound.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason i've been thinking of a Yeti lately and found myself reading this thread.

Fantastic reading. Fantastic car.

I'm even more interested to read you came from a stage 2 Octy to the yeti as its pretty similar circumstances to me and how the change to a higher centre of gravity car fits in with your driving style.

I've not even driven a yeti yet but i've heard so many positive things about them I think I need to consider one.

When you are thinking of selling let me know. I'm in no rush and TBH haven't got the finances ATM but I would be seriously interested in Betty.

Still thinking about turning my mk2 octy vrs in to a 4x4. I think its time to get some actual quotes to do the conversion before deciding what to do next.

• Like 2

For some reason i've been thinking of a Yeti lately and found myself reading this thread.

Fantastic reading. Fantastic car.

I'm even more interested to read you came from a stage 2 Octy to the yeti as its pretty similar circumstances to me and how the change to a higher centre of gravity car fits in with your driving style.

I've not even driven a yeti yet but i've heard so many positive things about them I think I need to consider one.

When you are thinking of selling let me know. I'm in no rush and TBH haven't got the finances ATM but I would be seriously interested in Betty.

Still thinking about turning my mk2 octy vrs in to a 4x4. I think its time to get some actual quotes to do the conversion before deciding what to do next.

Thats four interested party's in the last five weeks! lol - who'd have thought a humble Beti could be so sought after! :rofl:

The high ride height/centre of gravity is the one thing that makes you assume it just isnt going to do well in the handling department but its quite an eye opener tbh. Have a look at this EVO video where Henry hits it on the head - nimble and light on its feet is exactly how id describe it. :)

http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/planetevovideos/281266/video_skoda_yeti_quick_test.html

If you read the mag, they preffered the 1.8TSi and pitted it against some stupid 'competition' ie an Elise iirc! :giggle:

Go and drive one is all id say. Try a 1.8TSi against a 170TDi and the TDi will 'feel' quicker. Its not. The 1.8 is quicker when using all the revs but its quieter in the cabin and gives the torque over a bigger spread of revs compared to the diesel (iirc 1500-4500rpm is flat, peak torque). Remap both and the difference is greater still. The 1.8TSi then has even more potential.

I bought Beti pretty much knowing exactly what I was going to do to her. Before Beti the best Skoda I actually had was infact a mk 1 Elegance 4x4 1.8t. I mapped it to near enough 250bhp and 250lb/ft torque with every engine mod inc a big FMIC, VRS alloys, koni suspension, big brakes, Golf GT Seats.... a proper sleeper that could keep up with a friends Mini Cooper S works on our local country roads (surprisingly not many cars can do that!) The reason it was so good was mainly due to the haldex 4wd system. It could give you amazing performance in the dry and there was little difference in the wet or in the damp! Its the car I regretted selling. I should have done a big turbo conversion on it and kept it - it was a fantastic all round car.

4x4vrs3.jpg

4x4vrs2.jpg

4x4vrs1.jpg

I had them for some time and at one point I was considering getting shot of the new VRS and keeping the Mk1. Main reason being the VRS just couldnt get the power down in a nice fashion. I slightly reluctantly put the Mk1 up for a price I paid for it 18 months earlier plus a little extra for the mods... my attitude was that if it didnt sell then, sobeit, id just have to keep it longer! ;) But I had a few enquiries! One guy really wanted it and was massively keen on the colour (most friends werent but it was suitably named as 'Shrek') and basically came to see the car, went on a test drive and said 'how do you want the payment'. Couldnt argue with that... unfortunately.

As I did more and more to the VRS it just wasnt doing it for me. It was nippy (340lb/ft, 285bhp nippy) but no matter how much I threw at the chassis it just never really stimulated me. The Yeti is totally the opposite to that. It stimulates and rewards and its just fun to drive - the basic ingredient every car needs to provide imo. :) Everything Ive done to the Yeti has just enhanced it further. Its the one car I said I wouldnt compromise and I havent.

• Like 4

Oh, I loved my Mk1 4X4! It was just mapped ta around 210 hp but 10+ years ago not that many cars were tunes so it kicked ass against most cars it met. Most important it kicked VRS ass ;)

152273703.jpg

I even raced it on a track day and placed well as it was a little wet.

152273713.jpg

• Like 2

Wonder where the Mk1 is now? Would still be a terrific sleeper!

I like the colour as well :)

Im not sure Wardy. it was bought by a Briskoda member back in 2007 iirc but he was going to weld up the sunroof, strip it totally and track it. Didnt know this before the sale as Id have been inclined not to sell it (like I needed another reason!)

Other thing I forgot to mention that like the Yeti, my 1.8T 4x4 was totally reliable. It cost me £23 for an engine temperature sensor outside of servicing (again, like the Yeti, done every 6 months!). Fantastic car. :)

• Like 2

Thanks Yetiman,

You have summed up exactly what my experience has been and I think you have the same "priority" list as me in terms of what you wanted, compared to what you had.

In summary ive had a fair few cars including the infamous "hearse" which was originally EddyH Mk1 octy 400bhp 4x4 estate which I spent a lot of time and money on trying to get it perfect. I now have a mk2 octy vrs stage 3 which the only mod left to do is fit an LSD and a K04 upgrade. I have the same problem with getting the power down hence considering another 4x4. Whatever I get next my preference is 4x4/Quattro. Ideally I want an RS4/RS6 but realistically it will be an S4/S6.

The Yeti option is very appealing and I always like something a bit different. I also prefer to have a car that looks standard. My current Octy looks totally standard apart from a lower stance and a slightly different lower front grill but you have to have some knowledge to spot the subtle difference.

You never get tired of the look on someones face when you can see them thinking "WTF" :rofl:

• Like 4

:rock: 

Thanks Yetiman,

You have summed up exactly what my experience has been and I think you have the same "priority" list as me in terms of what you wanted, compared to what you had.

In summary ive had a fair few cars including the infamous "hearse" which was originally EddyH Mk1 octy 400bhp 4x4 estate which I spent a lot of time and money on trying to get it perfect. I now have a mk2 octy vrs stage 3 which the only mod left to do is fit an LSD and a K04 upgrade. I have the same problem with getting the power down hence considering another 4x4. Whatever I get next my preference is 4x4/Quattro. Ideally I want an RS4/RS6 but realistically it will be an S4/S6.

The Yeti option is very appealing and I always like something a bit different. I also prefer to have a car that looks standard. My current Octy looks totally standard apart from a lower stance and a slightly different lower front grill but you have to have some knowledge to spot the subtle difference.

You never get tired of the look on someones face when you can see them thinking "WTF" :rofl:

Very similar to me indeed. I considered the S4/RS4 route when I had had enough of the VRS's inability to move away properly in low gears. Only thing is, id probably be getting crippled by the running and out of warranty costs of those by now whereas I get over 40mpg in this thing on a run and still manage over 30 around town. Ive never had a tuned car that can achieve anything like that before! Infact Ive never had a decently nippy car that can so happily take us camping for a week, journey comfortably over 6,000 miles through 11 countries in one hit, allow you to take the rear seats out for a local dump run, get around a mountainside landslide after torrential rain in Spain and show B8 S4's the way to motor on properly. :rock:  Oh and she looks totally standard so yes, to see the face of the Porsche driver last Saturday night as I eventually pulled in to let him pass is totally priceless.  :happy:  Oh and theres no need for an LSD on Beti! ;)

• Like 2

I suppose another advantage of staying Skoda/VAG is I can use some of the parts off my current car and transplant them.

Which helps a lot when it comes down to cost to change.

Best option for me is to return my car back to standard (as much as possible, probably leave the clutch in). Sell the parts on/transplant on to another car and sell the car as standard.

Or turn my Octy in to a 4x4 project.

The deciding factor is cost and the main issue is the price of buying a yeti or alternative (S4/S6). I would imagine for a decent spec/year yeti and the mods you have its going to be around £20-£25k? Which opens up a lot of options.

Those MPG figures do look unbelievable. I'm sure I don't need to remind you that in reality running the mk2 octy at stage 2/2+/3/K04 on a spirited drive I can get single figures :giggle: Would never achieve 40mpg more like mid 30's on a run and more like 15-20 round town so looks like you achieve at least 10mpg more whatever the driving style. That's even more justifiable compared to an S4/S6.

Is the Yeti really that good in the corners????? That's my biggest concern coming from the Octy which with all the mods is a very well planted car (not great in standard mode I might add, too much understeer).

Looks like I have a good enough reason to test drive one :rofl:

• Like 1