Beti the K04 Yeti.

Yeti_Man

Have you done it yet?

hi John, no, haven't done it yet I'm afraid. I am still awaiting a couple of bushes that didnt ship in time so I spent the day on my other car I'm afraid (bilstein B12's, new front brake setup). As soon as I get to do the Yeti I'll report back here but I'm short of free Saturdays for the next four at least! :(
  • Like 1

Right Guy, part numbers are as follows:

VAG OE shortened bump stops: 3C0511359B

Rear strut mounts: 3C0513353DS1

Uprated bearing set for top strut mount: VKD 35025 T (BY SKF)

B6 Dampers: 35-158714 / 24-172936

Hi Lee - hope you don't mind the following comments in Beti's thread. 

Following on from the above I eventually got around to dealing with the shocks for Kevin and he now has a resplendent set of Bilstein B6s fitted (last Thursday) along with the Passat Sport rear bump stops; I decided to leave out changes to top mounts.  Very many thanks for the part numbers.

Whilst I have yet to do some proper 'brisk' motoring I have noticed an immediate improvement with the B6s. 

I've had eibach springs fitted for the last 18 months or more and with OE shocks I'd always reckoned they were mismatched with the shocks not being strong enough.  Moreover, in recent months Kevin had started pitching around on bumps and M'way undulations; I'm sure therefore the OE shocks were getting weak. Additionally, over minor road surface imperfections (small potholes etc.) the ride had become incredibly harsh and crashy.

With the B6s all that has gone. 

Yes: I can clearly feel they are a strong shock absorber but they are not stiff (unlike Koni Sport and FSDs I've had in the past on other cars).  Ride comfort is excellent, certainly every bit as good as a Yeti on OE springs (remember I've got Koni lowered ones) and body control is great, having lost all sense of floatiness and pitching; it is now really stable.

On the bump stop front, my OE rear bump stops were barely worn; likely a legacy of me rarely driving laden, but I fitted the Passat Sport rear ones.  I bought a pair of OE front bump stops, just for the hell of it, but then found that the piston/shaft of the Bilsteins is so fat they won't fit!  So I've gone without at the front.  Re-looking carefully at your photos it appears you have done the same; is that so?

Overall, albeit with a bit more testing to do, I'm already thinking that I've done a really good setup change and one of the better ones I've done over the years; B6s really suit the Yeti.  Thanks again for your comments, advice and acting as Guinea Pig.

All I need now are some new summer tyres in a month or so and have pre-bought some Michelin Pilot Super Sports for this.

Thanks again.

Guy

• Like 1

Hi Lee - hope you don't mind the following comments in Beti's thread. 

Following on from the above I eventually got around to dealing with the shocks for Kevin and he now has a resplendent set of Bilstein B6s fitted (last Thursday) along with the Passat Sport rear bump stops; I decided to leave out changes to top mounts.  Very many thanks for the part numbers.

Whilst I have yet to do some proper 'brisk' motoring I have noticed an immediate improvement with the B6s. 

I've had eibach springs fitted for the last 18 months or more and with OE shocks I'd always reckoned they were mismatched with the shocks not being strong enough.  Moreover, in recent months Kevin had started pitching around on bumps and M'way undulations; I'm sure therefore the OE shocks were getting weak. Additionally, over minor road surface imperfections (small potholes etc.) the ride had become incredibly harsh and crashy.

With the B6s all that has gone. 

Yes: I can clearly feel they are a strong shock absorber but they are not stiff (unlike Koni Sport and FSDs I've had in the past on other cars).  Ride comfort is excellent, certainly every bit as good as a Yeti on OE springs (remember I've got Koni lowered ones) and body control is great, having lost all sense of floatiness and pitching; it is now really stable.

On the bump stop front, my OE rear bump stops were barely worn; likely a legacy of me rarely driving laden, but I fitted the Passat Sport rear ones.  I bought a pair of OE front bump stops, just for the hell of it, but then found that the piston/shaft of the Bilsteins is so fat they won't fit!  So I've gone without at the front.  Re-looking carefully at your photos it appears you have done the same; is that so?

Overall, albeit with a bit more testing to do, I'm already thinking that I've done a really good setup change and one of the better ones I've done over the years; B6s really suit the Yeti.  Thanks again for your comments, advice and acting as Guinea Pig.

All I need now are some new summer tyres in a month or so and have pre-bought some Michelin Pilot Super Sports for this.

Thanks again.

Guy

Good to hear. I'm loving mine I have to say. I've just done B12's on the Fiesta and it feels even more matched ie the B8 -20mm struts and eibach -30mm springs but I think the B6's suit the character or the Yeti better and what's its primarily used for. The shortened Passat rear bumpstops could probably be left as standard but I have a few well laden long euro trips planned in the car in the next 18 months so I did it for the sake of it really although my others had made contact previously. In terms of front bumpstops - you don't use them with either B6 or B8 dampers as they have them built in, internally. However, I certainly would have done the uprated strut mounts. I'm convinced of the benefits and they aren't any noisier etc - my sort of upgrade, improvements with no downsides. :)

I've certainly found quickened wear on Skoda OE dampers when used with aftermarket lowering springs. IMO shocks are one of the places Skoda save some money so an upgrade of this part makes even more sense. Tyres wise I'll probably go with Michelin PS3's again when the time comes. :)

• Like 1

Very much appreciate your comments Lee; thanks. :thumbup:

I'd read previously of you doing laden, continental trips hence the rear bump stop usage; Kevin rarely has more than me on board.  Mind you, its very comforting to know that bump stops are integral to the B6s. :clap:

I'm sure you're correct about the top mounts, I might think about changing mine at some stage although it is now quite a job for a small part.

On the tyre front you'll likely be fine with PS3s; its just that STS TyrePros in Stevenage Old Town whom I've used for many years (same group as KwikFit by the way) have the Pilot Super Sports in the 225/45 18 95Y that I use at a very competitive price right now.

Keep up the good work with Beti. ;)

Guy

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Did you ever fit a set of Cayman S pads to the car?

I ask as I've seen Addiction Motorsport on ebay are selling ready-machined DS2500s to go straight into the calipers for 986 BBK converted VW/Skoda.

I'm assuming the discs you used are standard Brembo of the type found in GSF and the like?

• Like 1

Hi John, I'm afraid not as I've been away enjoying the Greek hospitatility for a few weeks - back on 2nd June when I'll likely start picking up the left over jobs on the Yeti during the following couple of weekends. Good to hear you can buy them ready done though - makes it a far easier mod for more people to do! :) And yes, the disks are Brembos plain disks - a far better casting quality imo than pagid via ECP etc and no grooves or holes/dimples which is my preference. :)

• Like 1

Did you ever fit a set of Cayman S pads to the car?

I ask as I've seen Addiction Motorsport on ebay are selling ready-machined DS2500s to go straight into the calipers for 986 BBK converted VW/Skoda.

I'm assuming the discs you used are standard Brembo of the type found in GSF and the like?

Do you have an ebay link for them or an item number, would be interested in them myself, had a look and a search but couldnt find anything?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So finally, the car will be doing some proper miles over the summer holiday period. She's off to North Wales tomorrow for ten days and then off for a tour of the Alsace region of France for five days and then down to South Germany to the Black Forest area to stay with friends for a further week. Hopefully I'll get a chance to stretch her legs and enjoy some nice roads. Oil, coolant, washer fluid and tyres checked. Full report with photos upon our return. :)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

When you are in Black Forrest you're not that far away from Nürburgring [emoji4][emoji6]

I have thought about it but it's five hours away from our friends place and not sensible for the planned route. We'll probably be heading back to them for Christmas and we usually stay over for a few Christmas markets whilst journeying to them. I hear Nurburg has a nice one....! ;)
  • Like 2

One thing I did notice over the last weekend in Wales was that the paintwork wasn't beading as well as it did previously. The Collinite has been on there for three months so I thought it time to do a full strip down and reseal of the paint work. Timed with a day off before heading back to work and dry weather over head it made sense to get it done now and before the next road trip.

Routine was:

Jet washed on a low setting

APC around sills and specific attention to wheelarches/underbody areas

Tar and bug remover on the stubborn spots down low.

Jet washed sills etc on a low setting

2 x washes with G3 Body Prep Shampoo using 2bm + grit guard + Meguiars lambswool mitts

Jet washed on a low setting

G3 Clay Mitt and Sonus Glide (despite what most people say, i'm not as impressed with the mitts compared to the clay bars, mainly for the stubborn bits of debris)

Washed with Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo and mitts

Dried with Sonus Wunder towels and Meguiars Last Touch.

Mer Car Polish

Collinite 915 wax 

Alloys resealed with two coats of Poorboys wheel sealant

Pack it all away, collapse on the sofa with a cuppa and a bar of Cadburys jelly bean and popping candy Marvellous Creations chocolate!!! 

IMG_6041_zpsnahioaqz.jpg

IMG_6042_zpsfwj3zy3a.jpg

IMG_6044_zpsllaxnoki.jpg

IMG_6046_zpswg55dx1k.jpg

IMG_6048_zpspfcg3icx.jpg

IMG_6050_zpsnpkzecrb.jpg

Job done. :)

• Like 2

Routine was: Jet washed on a low settingAPC around sills and specific attention to wheelarches/underbody areasTar and bug remover on the stubborn spots down low.Jet washed sills etc on a low setting2 x washes with G3 Body Prep Shampoo using 2bm + grit guard + Meguiars lambswool mittsJet washed on a low settingG3 Clay Mitt and Sonus Glide (despite what most people say, i'm not as impressed with the mitts compared to the clay bars, mainly for the stubborn bits of debris)Washed with Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo and mittsDried with Sonus Wunder towels and Meguiars Last Touch.Mer Car PolishCollinite 915 wax Alloys resealed with two coats of Poorboys wheel sealant Pack it all away, collapse on the sofa with a cuppa and a bar of Cadburys jelly bean and popping candy Marvellous Creations chocolate!!

Jeez, how long does all that take?! I admire your effort, but personally I really couldn't be arsed with all that!

• Like 1

Pretty much a day but as its only once every 12 months for the above routine, looks great once done and protects the vehicle that I've put a lot of time and money into - it's very much worth it imo :)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Great photos. Will have to give Strasbourg a try! :thumbup:

I recommend it. Tbh, France isn't my favourite 'local' country but I'll certainly be heading back to Strasbourg, perhaps for a Christmas market destination. We were all really impressed with it; so much to offer and affordable, good quality dining and accommodation. So many nice towns and villages within an hours drive also so makes a great base to see the Alsace area. :)
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

What a great morning for a bit of brake refurbishment! In readiness for fitting next Saturday I thought I'd give the rear calipers some new seals and a quick rub down and re spray. Three light coats later (and yet to do the final lacquer coats) but the results are really good IMO. At least they won't look out of place alongside the Porsche Calipers on the front, which still look like new. :)

So next Saturday's todo list:

Fit new Brembo disks and DS2500 Cayman S pads to the front.

Fit these Audi S3 rear calipers + Pagid 310mm disks and pads.

Change the fluid for fresh ATE fluid

post-6937-0-46719900-1443959647_thumb.jpg

• Like 2